Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

The SD From HELLLLLL!!!!!!....

... Anyway, some of you are going to think so.

I'm soon to fill my first order for the new 1.25" 'dynamic' Sub-driver kit. A shot of the supplied elements of that SD pictured below

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3875.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	102198Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3876.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	102199

A relatively new development (eighteen-months old ... new to me!) was Mike's identification of a source for those microbe sized servos used in the little ultra-light aircraft that have been on the scene for a couple of years. By employing these very small servos I free up a lot of space within the cast resin servo box, at the center of the SD. by cramming some of the devices within the servo box, along with the servos you'll be able to shorten the SD length as compared to the SD employing the micro sized servos -- this permits installation of the SD within the smaller little plastic model kits. As initially conceived, the servo box would only accommodate the much bulkier micro sized servos, as seen below.

Name:	DSCN0042.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	102200Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0064.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	102201

Problem is that the microbe sized servos have projecting mounting pads, elements of the PC board that comprises the foundation for all mechanical and electronic items. Pads, that prevent side-by-side use of the servo within the servo box -- the pads get in the way. Trouble is, that at one end of the PC board that set of pads has routed around their perimeter, conducting foil, both sides of the board. Cut off those pads and you clobber four circuit runs! Trouble is, you gotta get rid of the pads, and that means you're in for some SMT caliber soldering as you lay down some small gauge conductor to restore the circuit paths interrupted when you chop off the pads.

You potential customers up to it?

Here's what you have to do:

Name:	DSCF3858.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	102202Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3862.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	102203Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3863.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	102204Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3870.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	102205Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3872.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	102206

Being a 'dynamic' type system, this SD does not have a ballast tank -- you'll have to trim your little Revell/Monogram/Aurora/Ace/Lindberg/whatever plastic model submarine kit so that it floats with only the top of the sail sticking out of the drink. I'm sending the first ten of these out to Caswell Inc. this week. I then (after I get out of a lot of stuff I owe Mamas, Bill, Jim, and others) finalize the design, complete production tooling, and sell Caswell the 'static' version of the 1.25" Sub-driver.

Screw it, I'm going to bed!

David
    Last edited by Outrider; 03-05-2013, 11:50 PM.
    Who is John Galt?
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Is it not possible to stagger the servo's so that one set of lugs overlaps the other, then make one magnet lug a little taller so they both come up to the same height?

Or is that still too wide?

Also this-

Name:	HK2400.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	76392

Hobbyking - the world's No1 Online Hobby Store. We stock a huge selection of RC products from Planes right through to Drones and all accessories. Visit Us Today.

Comment

• small sub guy
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Dec 2009

I bought an eariler version of the SD without the magnet for the servo, floor, spacer for pump end cap and the wall for water containment. Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-03 10.55.04.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	76393
      So when I saw the SD from hell, I must agree. One down two to go.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
        Is it not possible to stagger the servo's so that one set of lugs overlaps the other, then make one magnet lug a little taller so they both come up to the same height?

Or is that still too wide?

Also this-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19058[/ATTACH]

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ear_Servo.html
        Andy, you da man!.... always thinking. But, yeah, I tried staggering every which-way, but the tabs have to go. But what's this, two servos on one board! Neat! But I don't want to burden Mike with more stock.

Hey, Mike: get two of these dual servo boards in for me to test, please.

Thanks, Andy! Always there to help.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Another thought. Would it not be better to retool the compartment to incorporate the extra width of the servos, so you don't have to modify them? I think if the builder has to tinker at electronics level it's going to put them off big time.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
            Another thought. Would it not be better to retool the compartment to incorporate the extra width of the servos, so you don't have to modify them? I think if the builder has to tinker at electronics level it's going to put them off big time.
            Yes, that's the obvious solution, but would negate use of the system in the little Revell SKIPJACK -- it's that tight. And you're spot on about the need of the end-user to solder the bridges being a likely deal-breaker for some. Damn!
            Last edited by Outrider; 03-05-2013, 11:48 PM.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Ah, okay- I didn't realise you were going for the static dive option for that tiddler too.

Comment

• Aug 2008

A bit of an update: I've finalized the 'dynamic' type 1.25" Sub-driver kit. here are some shots of it.

Name:	DSCF4246.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	76585Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4249.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	76586
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scott T
                  Commander
                  • May 2009

Problem is that the microbe sized servos have projecting mounting pads, elements of the PC board that comprises the foundation for all mechanical and electronic items. Pads, that prevent side-by-side use of the servo within the servo box -- the pads get in the way. Trouble is, that at one end of the PC board that set of pads has routed around their perimeter, conducting foil, both sides of the board. Cut off those pads and you clobber four circuit runs! Trouble is, you gotta get rid of the pads, and that means you're in for some SMT caliber soldering as you lay down some small gauge conductor to restore the circuit paths interrupted when you chop off the pads.

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	103148
                  What if you mounted these on edge with a rod and magnet.
                  This would keep from cutting the tabs and needing to solder.

Scott T
                  Last edited by Scott T; 07-18-2014, 01:30 PM. Reason: Could not get sketch to show so made a post in gerneral section.

Comment

• Aug 2008

That'll work.

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...