Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Tugfan
    I'm kinda confused by this paragraph: Remove the shock absorber and grind away a 1/2" wide, 3/8" deep channel down
    between the two halves of the Sub-driver forward foundations. This channel permits disassembly of the shock-absorber components, should that every (sp) be necessary. Why is the channel necessary? The foundation is already separated at the bottom.
    You later CA the shock-absorber body to the lower hull. Duh!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tugfan
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Nov 2010

That's not what I asked. The sentence makes no sense. What is the channel for? Also, there are no screws long enough to go through the SD restraining strap foundation to the hull. There is also no mention of its placement or pictures of it placed. The strap foundation looks taller than the rear foundation and would cause the SD not to sit in the rear cradle. Gluing the shock absorber is overkill. If it breaks you would have to grind it out rather than unbolt it. Lock tight should keep the screws from coming lose.
      Last edited by Tugfan; 11-28-2012, 08:00 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

That's not what I asked. The sentence makes no sense. What is the channel for? Also, there are no screws long enough to go through the SD restraining strap foundation to the hull. There is also no mention of its placement or pictures of it placed. The strap foundation looks taller than the rear foundation and would cause the SD not to sit in the rear cradle. Gluing the shock absorber is overkill. If it breaks you would have to grind it out rather than unbolt it. Lock tight should keep the screws from coming lose.
        The channel is to permit rearward travel of the shock-absorber plunger and spring after releasing the forward retaining wheel-collar.

The strap foundation piece is secured by running the securing screws up through the hull and into the threaded holes of the foundation. Tall end of the strap foundation forward. As to location of the strap foundation, look at the pretty pictures.

Glue the damned shock-absorber in place!

Mike: you watching this? Tugfan is identifying some weaknesses in our manual text that needs fixing.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Mike: you watching this? Tugfan is identifying some weaknesses in our manual text that needs fixing.

David
          Well! I'm not your mother! Get on with it then! Send me the updated file and I'll PDF it.

And try really hard not to get verbal diarrhea this time!

Good grief!
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kazzer
            Well! I'm not your mother! Get on with it then! Send me the updated file and I'll PDF it.

And try really hard not to get verbal diarrhea this time!

Good grief!
            OK, Boss. By tonight.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tugfan
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              The channel is to permit rearward travel of the shock-absorber plunger and spring after releasing the forward retaining wheel-collar.

The strap foundation piece is secured by running the securing screws up through the hull and into the threaded holes of the foundation. Tall end of the strap foundation forward. As to location of the strap foundation, look at the pretty pictures.

Glue the damned shock-absorber in place!

David
              The pretty pictures don't show a whole lot of the strap foundation, at least not enough to show the tall end foreward. I hope I glued it in right. There are no screws long enough in the package to bolt it down either. I bolted the absorber in. Lastly, there needs to be more detail in how the dive planes hook up in the sail. One picture shows the bottom already put together but no assembly photos. I've always built my subs with no working dive planes on the sail, so this and Daves excellent mechanics are being lost on me as how to put it together. I have so far ground down the inside of the sail and placed the washers in.
              Last edited by Tugfan; 11-29-2012, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	74735Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	74736Click image for larger version

Name:	032.jpg
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	74737Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	74738Click image for larger version

Name:	036.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	74739Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	74740
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tugfan
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Nov 2010

Is the sail still held on the held with magnets as was originally thought? I haven't seen anything concerning this. Can you just place all of the pictures you took in one file for reference? The rest I can figure out.
                  Last edited by Tugfan; 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Is the sail still held on the held with magnets as was originally thought? I haven't seen anything concerning this. Can you just place all of the pictures you took in one file for reference? The rest I can figure out.
                    Preparing And Assembling The Sail, Chapter-9, paragraph #1

Mike and I wrote the Manual. We recommend that our customers read it.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scott T
                      Commander
                      • May 2009

I know you have worked this all out but here is a thought about the snorkel mounting.
                      It has been said to leave off all the breakable parts in a working RC model.
                      The snorkel looks prone to getting bent and broke as it stands proud before the sail is placed over it.
                      What if the snorkel was fastened up into the sail instead of mounted to the hull. Then the snorkels
                      alignment inside the sail doesn't change and if the sail takes a bump the snorkel doesn't get bent.

"The sail is removable is afford access to the hull mounted SAS snorkel assembly,"

Name:	snorkel.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	74741

Scott T

Comment

• Aug 2008

Scott,

I've played with just that configuration, but settled on the hull mounted snorkel assembly.

The sail is only removed for a mission check, not at the field. So, exposure of the snorkel assembly to handling damage is minimal. What finalized the decision to mount the snorkel to the hull was that it made fast the elbow fitting within the hull that mates with the flexible induction hose that leads to the five-point manifold. Gluing the elbow to the hull insures that stress applied to it by handling of the flexible hose would not shift the induction tubes position within the tight confines of the sail -- such movement maybe causing the float to bind within the sail, leading to an induction line flooding incident.

A good observation, and I did give thought to both means of securing the snorkel assembly, Scott.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tugfan
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Nov 2010

I finally started reading and understanding the manual.

Comment

• Tugfan
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Nov 2010

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	74742 Got the shock absorber in and the SD tie down installed.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I finally started reading and understanding the manual.

HA! (beating chest triumphantly)
                              Last edited by Kazzer; 12-09-2012, 09:20 AM.
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17205[/ATTACH] Got the shock absorber in and the SD tie down installed.
                                Get those two missing bolts into the shock-absorber, damit!

David
                                Last edited by Kazzer; 12-09-2012, 09:20 AM.
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...