X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tugfan
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Nov 2010

Moebius Skipjack Fittings

Got mine today. Thank you. Only, am I suppose to figure out where some of this stuff goes with ESP or what? Would be nice to have a few measurements for the cradles and shock absorber for instance. I know you have to move the holes for the rudder at least 1/4 inch back toward the prop, but what size drill bit? You also have to cut away some plastic around the propeller cone. Will a instruction CD be forthcoming?
    Last edited by Tugfan; 10-22-2012, 06:37 PM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Yes, instructions are being worked on -- been at it for ten solid days so far. Unfortunately, I have some SD's to fill so I won't get back to the instructions till the end of the week. Hope to have them posted by early next week.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tugfan
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      Yes, instructions are being worked on -- been at it for ten solid days so far. Unfortunately, I have some SD's to fill so I won't get back to the instructions till the end of the week. Hope to have them posted by early next week.

David
      You're just a sweetie, Dave. Just don't keel over from exhaustion before you get done.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Tugfan
        You're just a sweetie, Dave. Just don't keel over from exhaustion before you get done.

Sweetie?!

Don't make me come over there!

(and thanks for understanding -- I'll get those instructions done as soon as possible).

Here's what I've been up to today:

Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	73932Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	73933Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	73934Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	73935Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	73936Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	73937Click image for larger version

Name:	034.jpg
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	73938
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Here's what I've been up to today:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16350[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16351[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16352[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16353[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16354[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16355[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16356[/ATTACH]
          Is that all??? Get back to work you bum Square hole - just because the boss has been on vacation doesn't mean you get a break. :wink: Now where is that new 3" SD - I want to be able to buy 2 of these pre Christmas.
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
          Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Tugfan
            You're just a sweetie, Dave.
            Get a room guys
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
            Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Looks like Santa needs extra elves for the sweat er workshop.:biggrin:
              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Don't get me wrong, I'm not *****ing. I have never been so productive in my life. The Caswell family has been the best thing to every happend to Ellie's and my business. And association with all of them is a joy and privalage (now, slowely, Mike, please aim that gun away from my face ... please).

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tugfan
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Nov 2010

What are you dipping the prop into? Never saw that before.

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

That's ferric Chloride- an acid used for etching pcb's etc. The acid puts millions of tiny hollows into the surface of the white metal, which turns it dark grey/black. This gives the paint something to latch onto. You can use this with any metal, the softer the metal, the more rapid the etching process, so white metal etches very quickly, so don't dip it in and leave it, else you might find you have no bits left when you return! Large metal surfaces are usually primed with an etching primer, which contains acid and etches itself into the surface.

You can get ferric chloride from electronics suppliers. We have Maplins in the UK, do they still have Radio Shack in the States? or Mike might carry it? Or try ebay for mail order supplies. It tends to come in pellet form, and you mix it up with some water, sometimes you can purchase it ready mixed. I store mine in a old plastic pop bottle, and decant it into an old plastic tray when using it.

Be warned it stains anything it hits, clothing, skin etc. Wear old clothes when using it and keep it well away from machine tools, as the fumes can be corrosive. An alternative etchant is sodium persulphate. Haven't used it myself, but it's clear, so you can see the etchant at work, plus it won't stain like ferric chloride.
                    Last edited by Subculture; 10-23-2012, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

The Radio Shack of today will probably not have it. It is a lot different than before. I went to Frys electronics. Here is a posting I did about etching white metal http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...-72-Gato/page3 about midway down the page.
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

I thought that may be the case. The hobby side of electronics is still around, but with the low cost of modern commercial devices plus the introduction of surface mount componentry, it is a dwindling market making it nonviable on the high street.

Ask most people what Ferric chloride is, and thy'll probably think it's something you put in a swimming pool. Well you wouldn't people swimming in that, unless your surname was Haigh.

Comment

• Aug 2008

That's the guy who disposed his wife in a 55 gallon drum of the stuff? You Brit's! Too bad it does not work on teeth and fat.

Anyway ... if the guy can't find the acid (strong acid) he can dip the part in hot vinegar for a few minute (a lot of minutes) till it turns dark -- agitating the work with a brush while soaking to speed up the oxidation.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Not his wife. His former employer, the employers parents, a doctor and his wife, and a wealthy widow. He claimed to have killed three others, but that was never confirmed.

I had a serial killer living in the next road to me back in the 1980's, Dennis Nilson- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Nilsen

Nice chap huh? First I knew about it was when it appeared on the evening news.

Anyway enough of this grisly stuff, making my own toes curl, back to the subs.
                            Last edited by Subculture; 10-24-2012, 06:07 AM.

Comment

• Tugfan
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by trout
                              The Radio Shack of today will probably not have it. It is a lot different than before. I went to Frys electronics. Here is a posting I did about etching white metal http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...-72-Gato/page3 about midway down the page.
                              Today's Radio Shack is garbage whose only interest is selling cell phones. RS of the 70's was the ultimate in a one stop electronics heaven.

Comment

Working...