• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Semi-Aspirated Ballast System

"See our new Sub-driver with the unique Semi-Aspirated System"
    Noticed this announcement while looking for new post on the forum but i can seem to locate a dedicated thread.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

I got the impression it is vapor-ware at the moment. Still under construction or a mythological device rumored to exist. LOL
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Don't want to preempt David about his new system Trout but it does exist. I emailed David regarding his Semi-Aspirated Ballast System or SAS after he mentioned it in Kazzer's M1 Disaster thread. He was kind enough to explain to me how it works. He even sent me some pictures of the components which I assure you will blow you away once you see them. He has already conducted some water test last week. I assumed he has already made a formal cabal report on it.
      Last edited by redboat219; 01-29-2012, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Its promising kiddies, very promising indeed. Just be patient.
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

I pray I did not come across as doubting David. He is one man I admire for his bold approach to problems and his creative solutions. I would install his device in my sub today knowing the thought he would put into it. No I do not sell David short. I got the impression it was still undeveloped and incorrectly how far along it is.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

"Oh, Yea of Little Faith!"

(insert: crack of thunder; chorus singing long sustained note; rolling black clouds; and the other usual Cecil B. DeMille horse-****)
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
              "See our new Sub-driver with the unique Semi-Aspirated System"
              Noticed this announcement while looking for new post on the forum but i can seem to locate a dedicated thread.
              I'm testing some ads, and this was part of it. More will be apparent as time progresses. No dedicated thread at present.
              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• roedj
                Captain
                • Sep 2008

D or M,

OK, it's not quite ready for prime time yet but could you please tell us (me) what is meant by the term 'semi aspirated'? When I was younger I attended a few college parties and got 'semi aspirated' myself but that's probably not what's meant here.

Dan
                Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Forgive me....... I want to try one out. Is there a beta program I can participate in????? I will document!
                  Peace,
                  Tom
                  Last edited by trout; 01-28-2012, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Reckless
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jan 2012

the picture of the SAS SD looks like my snorted SD ... what am I missing?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
                      D or M,

OK, it's not quite ready for prime time yet but could you please tell us (me) what is meant by the term 'semi aspirated'? When I was younger I attended a few college parties and got 'semi aspirated' myself but that's probably not what's meant here.

Dan
                      LOL. No .... as pleasant as that can be ... no, not that kind of semi-aspirated.

It's a snorkel that permits occasional equalization of the SD's interior after using its air to blow ballast while the induction intake is underwater. The trick was coming up with 'two-valve protection', in the form of a safety float-valve within the SD. That safety float-valve (now much reduced in foot-print over the initial prototype) insures if the snorkel head-valve fails open, the flooded induction line could not flood out the SD's interior.

I've got the mechanics of the plumbing in prototype form and am currently in the alfa-testing phase, and it's working. I'm producing some production tooling at this time, and should have beta-test articles out to a select few for beta-testing next week. If your boat is LPB equipped, you're 95% semi-aspirated ballast sub-system capable -- and your gas sub-system can remain as is, serving as an emergency back-up if you so wish.

I had help by a few of the Cabal Report elite on this and will credit them at the appropriate time.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Reckless
                        Missing? What tricks one can play with the Engish language! "Soon to be - The SAS". Does it mean that the SD shown is soon to be something else? Will you ever find out?

Ha! Ha! ha!!!! Patience!!! Ha! Ha! Ha!
                        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Reckless
                          As David mentioned there's the snorkel head valve and inside SD safety float valve.

Good news. David told that this set up can be made to fit a 2" SD so you could put one in your Type VII.

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

You can now read David's report on the SAS in the Feb. 2012 edition of the Sub-Driver Gazette.
                            Lots of photos and technical description.

Comment

• MFR1964
                              Detail Nut of the First Order
                              • Sep 2010

David,

I've read the article in the Gazette, done this trick with the floatvalves some decades ago with my type VIIC, i think you have to turn your system 180 degrees, so the floating body will be after the inlet.
                              In your configuration the flow of the water will press the floatingbody against the inlet, so releasing under speed will be more difficult, even worse, if you have some underpressure inside your WTC it will stick more, don't know exactly at which pressure it will stay sticked against the inlet.
                              Like you mentioned before, best way is to build a WTC testbed to see if the valve will be released with underpressure inside the WTC, just my two cents.

Greetings Manfred.
                              I went underground

Comment

Working...