Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by reddevil
    I also agree with Outrider. But the problem is that Mr. Palumbo doesn't seem to go anywhere and offers nothing but excuses. Meanwhile, he have our money and we have nothing. ....
    Let that be a lesson to everyone. NEVER pay a deposit to a small time operator - E V E R! If they cannot upfront the few bucks for materials, they don't deserve to hang their shingle!

Can he send the money back?
    And pigs will fly! No! This has L O N G gone!
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• reddevil
      Commander
      • Jun 2009

So, if he's not going to send neither the sub nor the money, the only other possibility is the Law.

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

So, if he's not going to send neither the sub nor the money, the only other possibility is the Law.
        Good luck with that!

Comment

• H2Ohaze
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jul 2011

I really DID get a sub from him, after waiting three months. I may have the only Holland MKII he shipped. IT is the one he built up himself for picture purposes. I promised that I would send him pics of the real Holland from Gosport England, which I visited in September. But I have not released the pics to anyone yet because I still have never received the bow cap, steering wheel, or periscope base from him. It's my only playing card left.

A friend owns a MKI, and to Paul's credit, the MKII has an incredibly detailed hull. Looks like what I saw in England.

Since the system works with the floating piston ballast tank, pressure in the WTC goes above atmospheric...this means the seals have to be great, otherwise when emptying tank, water will get sucked in.

I have had many problems with this tank design, the main one being that I had to go around redoing his glue on joints that pass outside the WTC. I also saw that if you don't know when to stop filling the tank, the piston will hit maximum travel...and the tank will continue to pressurize until it sprouts a leaks or pulls apart. I solved this problem by installing a microswitch which stops the "filling" currrent direction with a diode before the piston hits the far wall.

So, main O-ring, drive shaft, three mounting shafts through aft bulkhead, adding more seals to the control rods, re-gluing the schraeder valve in front for the torpedo...and I had to glue the torpedo release rod seal shut, as it leaked too. Renders the torpedo mechanism inoperable, but when he sent it to me he told me it didn't work right yet anyway.

Right now I am wading through leak sealing, but I still draw in a teaspoon of water by just filling ballast, then emptying it after a couple of minutes. If I don't run the ballast it is now almost waterproof...the air pressure remains atmospheric so leaks don't form.

One hint: If Rick says he has shipped or will ship something get a tracking number right away. I found that even when he says something is shipped, it may not have been.

I don't want to beat up on Rick. My Sub friends all admired the MKII hull and his craftsmanship. But there are some mechanical issues I had to fix on my partly built model, and every now and then I just want to give up the leak sealing and just sell it for another sub. I do have a special place in me about the real Holland. I am a beginner and this has proved to be a very challenging sub to fix. I do have all the electronics working, that was easy.

OTOH, I have had so many things more go wrong, both mechanically and in particular, customer service wise, that it has been an ordeal. For brevity, I won't go into them.

I might consider offers, if I can get another sub that is more reliable. In the meantime, back to re sealing parts that stick out the aft bulkhead...

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Ouch!..................
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ShadowPeo
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Jan 2009

Just found this thread after having a back and forth over email with Kazzer, just for the record I also put cash down on the 13th of November 2009 for a Foxtrot. I do have one of his kilo's at home that I purchased off another member, I was not happy with the upper half and was planning to get another piece when the foxtrot was ready, that will not be happening, I will have to clean up the upper half myself, there go's 20 hours down the drain

Comment

• Kazzer
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ShadowPeo
                Just found this thread after having a back and forth over email with Kazzer, just for the record I also put cash down on the 13th of November 2009 for a Foxtrot. I do have one of his kilo's at home that I purchased off another member, I was not happy with the upper half and was planning to get another piece when the foxtrot was ready, that will not be happening, I will have to clean up the upper half myself, there go's 20 hours down the drain

You beat me to it Justin! Glad you found the thread! You're lucky it was only $100 you kissed goodbye!

Comment

• ShadowPeo
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Jan 2009

Yes, whilst it is a small amount compared to what others have lost, to me its a principal thing I pay for product or service, I expect it in case of a pre-order I expect it will happen and to be kept up to date and if it ends up not going ahead I expect a refund, nothing untoward, just basic common sense and common honesty, both of which seem to be lacking in modern socity that feels that they are the most important person in the world and they have a expectation to instant satisfaction/gratification

Comment

• Kazzer
                    • Aug 2008

I doubt Mr. Palumbo will be selling any submarines -- anywhere - in future!

Comment

• Scott T
                      Commander
                      • May 2009

Curious! Have all Ricks threads been removed from this site? I was wanting to look at his thread on detailing
                      the Seehund and was unable to locate it and his other build threads.

Scott T

Comment

• Kazzer
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Scott T
                        Curious! Have all Ricks threads been removed from this site? I was wanting to look at his thread on detailing
                        the Seehund and was unable to locate it and his other build threads.

Scott T
                        I don't think anything like that was deleted.

Comment

• Scott T
                          Commander
                          • May 2009

Thanks. I may be remebering his gallery of pictures. elsewhere.

Scott T

Comment

• H2Ohaze
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jul 2011

There was a entire section in the forum dedicated to Rick's projects. It had that stuff. It had pictures of my Holland MKII being built (the exact model, he used mine for photos) It was removed about the middle of September 2011. That's all I know.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Yes, there was a Thread dedicated to Rick's work, but was deleted in the disassociation purging back in September. Using the wayback machine site, here is a capture of the sub-driver forum site http://web.archive.org/web/201107161...ub-driver.com/

The info you are looking at probably is located under......

update - I just tried to follow the link in wayback machine and it did not work......crud, sorry guys, tried to help. Maybe Mike would restore those builds? It would be a shame to lose the creativity.
                              Last edited by trout; 02-09-2012, 01:16 PM.
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• H2Ohaze
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Jul 2011

2nd that. I'd like to go back and see my Holland being worked on.

Comment

Working...