X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

X-Tail Mixer Set-Up

I have a question about an X-Tail Mixer Set-Up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	GERMAN 212 A 109.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	179898
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

The photo above shows the X-Tail Mixer that I have.

I understand the servo output connector pins. Channel (1) & Channel (2) unplug from the receiver and are plugged into the two output connectors pins.

I see (A) Pitch Cmd Signal lead & (B) Rudder Cmd Signal Lead.

#1: This being a X Tail sub I am not sure witch servo plugs into (B) Rudder Cmd Signal Lead? is it (1) or (2)?
    #2: I do not have a pitch controller. Do I just leave (A) Pitch Cmd Signal Lead a plug to nowhere?

I just want to operate this X-Tail Mixer on DEFAULT, so I will not be messing around with (E) Setup Button.

I have the new FrSky X-18 Dual Band Transmitter with the TD-R10 Receiver. I was hoping that it was coming to me all set up for X-Tail operation. That did not happen. So I ordered the X-Tail Mixer for my installation. Now before anyone says! Why don't you just program the transmitter yourself. I am EXTREMELY new to this system, and I want to just leave well enough alone for now thank you.

Any advice on the X-Tail Mixer setup would be appreciated.

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• ffr2608
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Oct 2009

If you don't have a pitch controller, Just mix it at the transmitter. You can literally do anything with that software......

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by ffr2608
        If you don't have a pitch controller, Just mix it at the transmitter. You can literally do anything with that software......
        Thank you very much, but not the answer that I am searching for!

I totally understand the capabilities of the FrSky X-18 Dual Band Transmitter. But I am a grumpy 80 + year old man that does not have the brain connections of a younger person to learn the complexities of that software. I have a boat that wants to get to the water!

I do appreciate your input! :-))

Rob
        Last edited by rwtdiver; 05-07-2024, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• ffr2608
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Oct 2009

I get it with the programming...Just in case:

https://www.MrD-RC.com https://www.patreon.com/MrD_RCIn this video, we look at how to set up an elevon mix in ETHOS. This is actually a pretty simpl...

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

ffr2608, (Sorry, I do not have your name)

I want to thank you Very much for taking the time to put up this great instructional YouTube of doing mixing. I for sure will follow it closely and try to get mine working.

While I have your attention, is there a chance for one more question?

The brushless motor that was sized out for my boat and with the prop I have it is WAY to much throttle for this boat. Could you possibly tell me if my X-18 transmitter has the capabilities to slow the motor down through the full stick operation?

Thank you in advance for the help, it is certainly appreciated!

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

Rob,

The radio can easily adjust the endpoint for the throttle. Just go into the Mixer menu, select your throttle channel, then scroll down to weight. Adjust your throttle to whatever you'd like, anywhere from 0 to 100%.

Regarding the mixer, here is a video on how to set it up step-by-step for your radio if you wanted to go that route.

For Kevin's x-tail module, plug A into your rear plane channel. I think I usually put those on CH4. If not, it will be CH5. You can check in the same mixer menu I mentioned above, select your rear plane channel, then scroll down to output at the very bottom. That will tell you what channel that mix is outputting on. Plug B into your rudder, CH1. Plug one of your boat's servos into C and the other into D. If these end up moving in the wrong directions, you can either swap them around or switch the directions in the mixer menu.

If you want to schedule a consult time with me to go over your radio in detail, I'd be happy to show you the ropes.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                Rob,

The radio can easily adjust the endpoint for the throttle. Just go into the Mixer menu, select your throttle channel, then scroll down to weight. Adjust your throttle to whatever you'd like, anywhere from 0 to 100%.

Regarding the mixer, here is a video on how to set it up step-by-step for your radio if you wanted to go that route.

For Kevin's x-tail module, plug A into your rear plane channel. I think I usually put those on CH4. If not, it will be CH5. You can check in the same mixer menu I mentioned above, select your rear plane channel, then scroll down to output at the very bottom. That will tell you what channel that mix is outputting on. Plug B into your rudder, CH1. Plug one of your boat's servos into C and the other into D. If these end up moving in the wrong directions, you can either swap them around or switch the directions in the mixer menu.

If you want to schedule a consult time with me to go over your radio in detail, I'd be happy to show you the ropes.
                Thanks Bob,

Appreciate the help! I will proceed to go through with both throttle set up and the X-Tail set up on my new X-18 Transmitter.

Thank you,
                Rob

Comment

• ffr2608
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Oct 2009

Rob,
                  Give it a try with some basic setups. If you screw something up, The model can easily be deleted and you can start over. I'm sure all of us would love to help.
                  Darrin

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                    ffr2608, (Sorry, I do not have your name)

I want to thank you Very much for taking the time to put up this great instructional YouTube of doing mixing. I for sure will follow it closely and try to get mine working.

While I have your attention, is there a chance for one more question?

The brushless motor that was sized out for my boat and with the prop I have it is WAY to much throttle for this boat. Could you possibly tell me if my X-18 transmitter has the capabilities to slow the motor down through the full stick operation?

Thank you in advance for the help, it is certainly appreciated!

Rob
                    Darrin Hataway. A very nice guy. And one hell of a model builder. Used to do it professionally. Showed me a lot of neat tricks over the years.

David
                    Student
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

I want to give a big shout out and thank you to Darrin, Bob and David for all there help and input on questions that I had on learning to use the FrSky X-18 Transmitter. The two issues that I had at this point was the X-Tail setup and the throttle control.

Thank you,
                      Rob

Comment

Working...