X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Surface Boat Building

I am posting this up for you guys doing scale (full and modeling) surface boats.

Lofting the Lines; Part 1 - Rebuilding Tally Ho EP24 (youtube.com)

Some of you may already be following the YouTubes of the full restoration work of a boat called the Tally Ho. If not, chime in because it is very interesting.

The reason I posted this particular YouTube was to show the amount of time effort the builder puts into his restoration work. As I was watching this video, I was thinking of how David M.
    Ken, and Bob G. use drawings in there building process. Bob and Ken in particular because they build surface model type boats. But David also uses design drawing an all his sub projects.

Thought you all may be interested. :-))

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

Yes Rob... The story of the Tally Ho was well worth the watch... I followed it from beginning to end -It seemed like it would come to a halt several times... And brought a tear to my eye when she sailed again... The video was very well done... And enjoyable.-thanks for posting this.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

I follow a few channels. From the beginning and still on it weekly... Tally Ho (Sampson Boat Co on YT) and Acorn to Arabella. Also follow and watch Tips from a Shipwright and Bristol Shipwrights with Louis Sauzedde. Also following The Art of Boat Building and Six Points Wood Works.

I also watch what Bob G does when he posts on RCGroups and not here.

The boats I scratch build I do make up my own plans. Been doing it more on QCad now more than on pencil and paper. Although I may start on pencil and paper to help me get started on QCad. And other more major parts of the boat also start now in QCad. A lot of times I just picture the item in my head and go with that, but nice to see an actual plan which is nice to have and keep me on point instead of the mistakes that can occur in my head.

Other boring stuff...
      I did have architectural classes in high school and in community college. Loved those classes. When I built my SS Miss Belmar in the 70-80's I had the original Gulf Craft plans for the boat but I had to rescale the plans and to draw out the hull for use as a model. That was my first experience 'designing' a scratch built model. That was my late teens, wow ages ago. In the high school architectural classes, I found out a metal shop teacher down the hall had taken a home study class and had the material from naval architectural course. I think the firm was in New Jersey and I don't recall the name, it was Webb Institute (https://www.webb.edu/). I was allowed to go thru his materials instead of doing the architectural drawing that the rest of the class did. I should have pursued that as a career instead of IT. Kinda bummed out about that.
      Anyway, end of boring rant.
      Last edited by Ken_NJ; 04-14-2024, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
        I follow a few channels. From the beginning and still on it weekly... Tally Ho (Sampson Boat Co on YT) and Acorn to Arabella. Also follow and watch Tips from a Shipwright and Bristol Shipwrights with Louis Sauzedde. Also following The Art of Boat Building and Six Points Wood Works.

I also watch what Bob G does when he posts on RCGroups and not here.

The boats I scratch build I do make up my own plans. Been doing it more on QCad now more than on pencil and paper. Although I may start on pencil and paper to help me get started on QCad. And other more major parts of the boat also start now in QCad. A lot of times I just picture the item in my head and go with that, but nice to see an actual plan which is nice to have and keep me on point instead of the mistakes that can occur in my head.

Other boring stuff...
        I did have architectural classes in high school and in community college. Loved those classes. When I built my SS Miss Belmar in the 70-80's I had the original Gulf Craft plans for the boat but I had to rescale the plans and to draw out the hull for use as a model. That was my first experience 'designing' a scratch built model. That was my late teens, wow ages ago. In the high school architectural classes, I found out a metal shop teacher down the hall had taken a home study class and had the material from naval architectural course. I think the firm was in New Jersey and I don't recall the name, it might be Westlawn (https://westlawn.edu/). I was allowed to go thru his materials instead of doing the architectural drawing that the rest of the class did. I should have pursued that as a career instead of IT. Kinda bummed out about that.
        Anyway, end of boring rant.
        Never a boring rant Ken,

I really enjoy seeing what you and Bob are doing with your beautiful surface boat building.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Bob Gato
          Yes Rob... The story of the Tally Ho was well worth the watch... I followed it from beginning to end -It seemed like it would come to a halt several times... And brought a tear to my eye when she sailed again... The video was very well done... And enjoyable.-thanks for posting this.
          Your welcome Bob,

I knew for sure that both you and Ken have been following the Tally Ho. I have been following you on RC Groups as well. Great stuff!!

Rob

Comment

• ffr2608
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Oct 2009

Surface boat builder too. Known as CAPTDH on Rcgroups......Built all kinds of stuff over the years......
            Attached Files

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

As we were driving down to see the battleship NJ in drydock I recalled the name of the home study course I was using from the teacher. I updated my previous post.

Comment

Working...