X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

I am a Sucker for these Shows- "The Lost U-Boats of WWII"

They were treasure hunters and now they are U-boat hunters.-(Now deceased) Roger Miklos (famous for the Atocha treasure find and his work with Astronaut Gordon Cooper's treasure hunting) Using Roger's charts and research, the quest has now been taken over by his son Darrell Miklos -tracking down Hitler's modified U-boat freighters transporting WWII plundered treasure from Germany to South America (with an extended layover at the bottom of the Caribbean!) Yes its a little hokey with obvious statements for the general land lubber public-but quite believable. The History Channel series, Tues at 2200 ET.

Set your DVR....
    Last edited by Bob Gato; 02-28-2024, 09:27 AM.
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Yea don't have HC thru my cable company. Subscribed to HC on Apple TV. Apparently some of these channels will allow you to watch current shows only by paying for each episode of each show. Once the series is over, THEN you can watch them. It's that way with The Curse of Oak Island as well on Apple TV. Ridiculous you pay for the streaming channel but cannot watch a show while it is coming out.

Comment

• tifosi12
      Commander
      • Jul 2020

I watched the first episode (2nd just came in, haven't seen it yet) and it has potential. Started out strong, but towards the end became predictably trivial: "Scuba divers" in waters barely ten feet deep. C'mon. Put on some snorkels.
      Also didn't like the "mystery" about what German U-Boats were doing in the Gulf: Well, they did what they did everywhere, which is hunt for transport ships. Nothing sinister or more secretive in that. Doesn't mean there was a secret gold transport involved.

Also I hate the artificial urgency (created by ALL reality TV shows): They have to find these places before the hurricane season starts. Well, hello! You knew that before, why didn't you start a month earlier? Duh!

That said, I'm still hopeful something good comes from this show.

As a former scuba diver I'm amazed by the UW communications technology these guys have. Albeit that they don't have much to say ("Visibility is poor"), it is way beyond the few hand signals we used.

Comment

• wlambing
        Commander
        • Nov 2020

Then, there's the legalities of messing with war graves. I like to watch "The Curse of Oak Island" but can easily live without the duffus narrator's constant re-hashing of really obvious facts and his stoopit questions! I guess the intrigue for me is the methodology being employed to get down to and finally enter the tunnels, if they can. Must be the old coalminer in me.

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by wlambing
          Then, there's the legalities of messing with war graves. I like to watch "The Curse of Oak Island" but can easily live without the duffus narrator's constant re-hashing of really obvious facts and his stoopit questions! I guess the intrigue for me is the methodology being employed to get down to and finally enter the tunnels, if they can. Must be the old coalminer in me.
          Yes this is going to be the big year for Rick and Marty... I just consider
          ​the rehash all the time is for the people who never saw the show before

And then there's the narrator who calls scuba tanks oxygen tanks...lol it happens to be the same narrator for both shows.... I'm sure if the people actually doing the work were asked to critique every show they would want many corrections... I hear a lot of interviews where the stars say last night was the first time saw that show...

Comment

• Albacore 569
            Commander
            • Sep 2020

I wish they would be able to locate the French submarine Surcouf in the Gulf of Mexico (well to be accurate near Panama), but doubt as her history has nothing to do with Nazi treasure.. (academic history and respect, not Profit greed). But these expeditions cost money too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1ZYxWdg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.3 KB ID:	178667
            Surcouf arriving at Halifax, Canada February 1941. About a year before her loss near Panama.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ZHSvaaA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.8 KB ID:	178668

Surcouf receiving a 3-month refit at Portsmouth, NSY at Portsmouth New Hampshire/Maine September 1941.

Last edited by Albacore 569; 03-07-2024, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• tifosi12
              Commander
              • Jul 2020

I watched the 2nd part last night. Ladida. Big whoops: They found a German beer bottle from Bremen (I wish somebody would have taught them how to pronounce that correctly) and a couple of broken Luftwaffe dinner plates.

Their immediate reaction was that this clearly shows they are onto the special U-Boats that carried the Gold to South America. It's an obvious conclusion when you find a beer bottle, don't you think?

I'm still hopeful this gets better and leads anywhere other than to the obvious finds, which are to be expected in a place where the Kriegsmarine or Luftwaffe hung out. Oh and btw: Like every realtiy TV show (cue in Expedition Unknown) all Germans are simply called Nazis. There is no differentiation made between members of the NSDAP vs regular soldiers of the armed forces. <sigh>

Comment

• roedj
                Captain
                • Sep 2008

I had high hopes for this show but now I'm not so sure. In the opening credits somebody unrolls a ship's drawing of an U-Boot. It clearly shows it to be a Typ VII-G. Narrator claims the drawing to be top secret and all that. I would hope so because I can find no record of a Typ VII-G either planned, contracted for or actually built.

So... good luck to them finding a sub that never existed.

Captain Contrary
                Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                  Captain
                  • Feb 2019

Well-I understood that it was a modified type VII with the torpedo tubes removed and a larger deck gun- Designed to be used as a freighter.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                    Captain
                    • Feb 2019

I see that they had Type VIIFs that were used as a torpedo freighters- I guess a VIIG would have been next in line...
                    Last edited by Bob Gato; 03-08-2024, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• roedj
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2008

Well. we'll see. But just for the record, I for one, will not be surprised if if the Knights Templar get dragged into this Nazi treasure hunt boondoggle.

Could it be...?

Captain Contemptuous
                      Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
                        Well. we'll see. But just for the record, I for one, will not be surprised if if the Knights Templar get dragged into this Nazi treasure hunt boondoggle.

Could it be...?

Captain Contemptuous
                        No, no. You guys have it all wrong -- that submarine was taking Hitler and his gang to the super-dupper-secret flying-saucer base erected at the south-pole so they could escape to the moon colony established in the late 30's. Shows like this eventually turn into a version of 'Al Capone's Valt'.
                        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-09-2024, 10:24 AM.
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• tifosi12
                          Commander
                          • Jul 2020

Well as I said, so far the show has not yield anything. Some nice footage of divers in the Gulf of Mexico but that's about it. I have more WW2 memorabilia at home than these guys picked up from the ocean floor so far. Still hoping it gets better. Not holding my breath.

Comment

• Albacore 569
                            Commander
                            • Sep 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

No, no. You guys have it all wrong -- that submarine was taking Hitler and his gang to the super-dupper-secret flying-saucer base erected at the south-pole so they could escape to the moon colony established in the late 30's. Shows like this eventually turn into a version of 'Al Capone's Valt'.

No Jimmy Hoffa? LOL

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albacore 569

No Jimmy Hoffa? LOL
                              ...third season of the show.
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...