Solder for brass rod railing construction?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wlambing
    Commander
    • Nov 2020

Solder for brass rod railing construction?

Dear Guru of Everything Known to Man and More, AKA HWSNBN,

What brand of solder do you use for making handrails and such on your fine fighting vessels? The material is to be 0.030" K&S brass rod. Where do you get it?

What would you use to sculpt blast bags on 5" guns on 1:96 scale skimmer gun mounts? Looking for something better to use than body filler type products.

Thank you for your assistance in many things!

A Grateful Unwashed Mass participant
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Dear Inferior, Underling:

(Grovel... Lower, Lower!!, you insolent, unworthy scum!)

The ideal soft solder for our work is 60/40 (60% Tin/40% Lead). Strong enough for model work; and works at the lowest temperature, close to 370-degrees, which makes heat isolation and diversion a relatively easy task. Brand of solder don't matter. Steer clear of 'rosin/flux core solder' as you don't know the corrosive effects of that brands flux. Brand name does not matter otherwise. Type and ratio of the alloy. Use acid-based flux for metal work. Use rosin-based flux for electrical/electronic unions.

I don't shop at any of today's 'hobby shops' -- they all can lick my balls! Over-priced items and attended by 'associate' know-nothings who are only qualified to dish out bad advice i.e., screaming morons who have not kept the balsa rack stocked since the store opened! **** 'em!

Get your stuff from Amazon or McMaster-Carr.

You want to achieve that 'wrinkled' look for the blast-bags. Best to sculpt those from Sculpey -- a PVC clay like medium that can be baked rock-hard once given form with standard sculpting tools.

David
    Where's... My.... Cookie!!!!?????

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

Never did this Bill. I saw on another forum someone use a tissue type paper and glue, maybe something like Titebond III. They also used it for the canvas gun covers, canvas railing etc. And maybe the blast bags. Like David says, use test articles to get your technique down pat, then once you like the result on the subject you're working on.

I use flux Kester brand, small diameter. For tight spots, cut a sliver of solder. Place flux on the joint. Place solder sliver on the joint then heat. With a minimal amount of solder, less cleanup.

Comment

• wlambing
        Commander
        • Nov 2020

Ok, thank you guys! I may already have a stock of suitable hot-metal glue and flux that will work for what I need to do. Can Sculpy be let to harden at room temperature? I'm not going to place my gun mounts in an oven. THAT would be way counter-productive!!!! ;)

Comment

• Ken_NJ
          Captain
          • Sep 2014

The Sculpey I bought at Michaels Crafts needs to be placed in the oven to harden.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by wlambing
            Ok, thank you guys! I may already have a stock of suitable hot-metal glue and flux that will work for what I need to do. Can Sculpy be let to harden at room temperature? I'm not going to place my gun mounts in an oven. THAT would be way counter-productive!!!! ;)
            No... you idiot ... you do the blast bags separately! To change state from soft to hard Sculpey has to be baked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0116.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	176377

Name:	DSCN0125.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	176378

Name:	DSCN0158.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	176379

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	176380

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• wlambing
              Commander
              • Nov 2020

Yeah, That ain't gonna happen!!!! I'll find something else to use. The bags have to be done in place on the already assembled gun mounts, otherwise there will never be a proper fit-up. The fall and drape of the canvas on the wire frames that spanned the gun aperture make this style bag rather unique to DEs, and some CAs.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by wlambing
                Yeah, That ain't gonna happen!!!! I'll find something else to use. The bags have to be done in place on the already assembled gun mounts, otherwise there will never be a proper fit-up. The fall and drape of the canvas on the wire frames that spanned the gun aperture make this style bag rather unique to DEs, and some CAs.
                OK. Understood.

In that case use Milliput or some flavor of epoxy plumbers putty.

You can also build up new structures on old (build-in-place) with CA adhesive and baking soda.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• wlambing
                  Commander
                  • Nov 2020

Nice examples! THANKS!!

Comment

• wlambing
                    Commander
                    • Nov 2020

In my searching, I have found that several mfrs., including Sculpy, make air-dry polymer clay suitable for the arts & crafts crowd. Locally we have a Michaels that is 'sposedta carry it, but of course since it is 2023 and we are victims of the times, there was none in stock!!!!

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

If you want a slower curing and tougher alternative to polyester filler/putty, try some epoxy putty.e.g.

A tip to retard the cure is to keep the putty bathed in white spirit, assuming the standard working time is insufficient.

Comment

Working...