X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

Type XXXIII Model Hamburg Maritime Museum

Our special exhibition on 175 year history of the German navies is entering its last week. You still have the possibility to see it until November the 5th.

We wouldn’t like to close it before having highlighted this outstanding model by our late friend Maurice Verhaaren. A big part of his work is permanently displayed in our submarine section on deck 5. Verhaaren worked closely with the Peter Tamm collection for over 30 years and his impressive body of work immortalises the dear memories we keep of him.

U-Boot Type XXIII, 1944

After the collapse of the U-boat warfare in mid-1943, the Kriegsmarine commissioned new boat types built in sections and based on the new Walther turbine propulsion system to become fast submarines instead of submersibles. However, the turbines were not ready for production. The boats were redesigned for diesel-electric propulsion with more powerful batteries.

Deutsche Weft, Hamburg, was given general contractor status for the new Type XXIII, with subcontractors in Germany delivering sections and shipyards in Toulon, Monfalcone, Genoa, and Nikolaev also contracted to build them - but in keeping with the course of the war, these were successively withdrawn from German control. Late delivery of drawings, lack of fittings and steel components due to transportation problems caused massive delays in the program. The shortage of labor at Deutsche Werft had to be compensated for by so-called "red slip"-actions in which qualified foreign workers were forcing my employed, as well as recruited German skilled workers and labor soldiers. After the Allied invasion in June 1944 serial construction of the small, 34 meters long coastal submarines was given top priority By May 1, 1945. 63 had been built. Six of them still saw action. The German Navy commissioned "Hai" (ex "U 2365") and "Hecht" (ex "U 2367") in 1957; "Hai" sank in 1966 due to an accident.

Model builder Maurice Verhaaren
    Scale 1/35
    Crew 14​
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Das Boot; 10-29-2023, 03:56 PM.
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • JHapprich
    Captain
    • Oct 2017

It's Type 23 / Type XXIII

Comment

• Das Boot
      Rear Admiral
      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by JHapprich
      It's Type 23 / Type XXIII
      I know. Couldn’t change it.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
        Captain
        • Apr 2014

The Hambur museum is great. Been there twice. My XXIII would be great next to the full hull model:
        DKM U-Boot tYpe XXIII based on the 1:35 kit by Bronco Models. Interior has been CAD-Designed and 3D-printed. Building time: 4 years. Enjoy...

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
          The Hambur museum is great. Been there twice. My XXIII would be great next to the full hull model:
          DKM U-Boot tYpe XXIII based on the 1:35 kit by Bronco Models. Interior has been CAD-Designed and 3D-printed. Building time: 4 years. Enjoy...
          Well, there you go! Pitch the Curator and I think you'll be surprised at the response, sir.

Got our work into a few museums that way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0072.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	175511 Click image for larger version

Name:	Reusable launch vehicle model - Copy.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	175512 Click image for larger version

Name:	Lunar reconnaissance vehicle model - Copy.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	175513 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1673.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	175514

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Well, there you go! Pitch the Curator and I think you'll be surprised at the response, sir.

Got our work into a few museums that way.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG0072.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	175511 Click image for larger version  Name:	Reusable launch vehicle model - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.7 KB ID:	175512 Click image for larger version  Name:	Lunar reconnaissance vehicle model - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.4 KB ID:	175513 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1673.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.8 KB ID:	175514

David
            Not a suck up!!

David,

That is some very nice work! You also wear your uniform proudly as well Did you also do the submarines in the glass enclosure that Ellie is standing in front of?

Rob
            Firemen can stand the heat."
            Last edited by rwtdiver; 10-30-2023, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Not a suck up!!

David,

That is some very nice work! You also wear your uniform proudly as well Did you also do the submarines in the glass enclosure that Elie is standing in front of?

Rob
              Firemen can stand the heat."
              While I was a member of the YOSEMITE's dive-locker I built a 1/192 model of an LA. Here I'm 'donating' it to one of the Navy's museum's -- I forget which one. I did this sort of thing to fatten up my resume. Which served us well when we set up D&E Miniatures -- when you brag that you produce 'museum quality', it helps with the brag if you can rattle off the museums your work has actually been displayed in.

Behind Ellie are three display pieces I made. The 1/96 LA and OHIO I built from seasoned basswood when I was staff at the museum. The 1/96 SEAWOLF I was commissioned to do soon after I retired from the Navy (they kept it out of sight for three years as they were scared that I revealed too much on that models pump jet).

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

David,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lunar reconnaissance vehicle model - Copy.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	175522

Is this a model you did of one of our Lunar Recon. Satellites? As usual, superb workmanship!

Rob
                "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Aug 2008

David,

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lunar reconnaissance vehicle model - Copy.jpg Views:	2 Size:	89.7 KB ID:	175522

Is this a model you did of one of our Lunar Recon. Satellites? As usual, superb workmanship!

Rob
                  It was one of two large-scale von Braun concepts generated for the Collier's magazine articles and later Viking Press hard-back books printed in the mid to late 50's. In the early 90's we were contracted to build these two models for IBM's display, 'Blueprint for Space' that was first presented at the Smithsonian Air & Space museum in Washington D.C. Our point of contact for that job was Fred Ordway lll (author and technical advisor for the Kubrick movie, 20001 a Space Odyssey).

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

David,

Having gone through about 3/4's of your "Todays Work" submarine build blog, and seeing the level of knowledge and skill that you have applied to submarine building, and now to see this same ability you have acquired being applied to other types of model building is astounding!

Thank you so much for sharing your work with us, and I hope that everyone in this forum, and everywhere truly understands the "Gold Mine" of information and the level of expertise and craftmanship that you have and still are sharing with us.

Thank you David! You are truly a Master!

Rob

Comment

• JHapprich
                      Captain
                      • Oct 2017

David, what is the black cast tooling made from? Looks very rigid?

One of your Sturgeon displays in the 'Hunt for Red October' opening scene made me want to build model subs! Though at that time i thought it was an LA.

That spacecraft is amazing. I always am deeply impressed how both USA and USSR got in space ( with German help) without today's tech and now one cannot land on the Moon!

Saturn's engine cannot be remade as no one knows how to build/weld/attach everything properly....

Regards , Jörg

Comment

• Aug 2008

David,

Having gone through about 3/4's of your "Todays Work" submarine build blog, and seeing the level of knowledge and skill that you have applied to submarine building, and now to see this same ability you have acquired being applied to other types of model building is astounding!

Thank you so much for sharing your work with us, and I hope that everyone in this forum, and everywhere truly understands the "Gold Mine" of information and the level of expertise and craftmanship that you have and still are sharing with us.

Thank you David! You are truly a Master!

Rob
                        Yes, I'm a 'Master' of the Craft. Now. But always an attentive and inquisitive STUDENT of the Craft.

Passion is the magic ingredient to the pursuit of perfection (never achieved, but always strived for).

I learned from those who came before me. I continue to learn, and today stand qualified to pass on what I've acquired to those who share the passion.

You're welcome, sir. My pleasure.

David
                        Student-Purveyor of the Craft
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Dec 2019

Someone call the FBI. D.B. Merriman has hijacked my post.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
                            Someone call the FBI. D.B. Merriman has hijacked my post.
                            LOL. You're right, Casey. Sorry. All I needed was a dark night, enough altitude, and a reliable parachute.
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Dec 2019

Bwahahahahaha!

Comment

Working...