X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fishb0y
    Lieutenant
    • Jul 2023

Dry Hull Hydrostatic Testing

I'm stuck at a data analytics software conference in New Orleans for the next couple of days. The organizer wisely decided to not bring out caffeine until 3:15. Needless to say, it's been difficult to concentrate until 3:20.

With all of that...I've been wondering how to perform leak tests on my dry hall Type IX.

With the telemetry data with my FrSky reciever, I am thinking of using the Altitude sensor to determine a "leak rate" over time after pressurizing the hull with the pistons.

Of course, this is all theoretical until I reinstall my pistons and seal off my hull.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Fishb0y; 10-10-2023, 05:28 PM.
    Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.
  • JHapprich
    Captain
    • Oct 2017

Put it in the water and check for leaks?

Comment

• Fishb0y
      Lieutenant
      • Jul 2023

The goal is to verify prior to getting to the water.
      Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Charles's Law will trip you up unless you can work temperature changes into your read-out.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
          Captain
          • Apr 2014

It's an Engel Type IX, right? So it has piston tanks. Drill a hole into the dyr hull and install a brass tube, e.g. 2 mm ID. connect a little pressure gauge to the tube using a rubber hose. Then put the tanks in full-position. That will raise the air pressure in the dry hull. Monitor the pressure. If it drops -> leak

For leak detection take soap water (or snoop https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/DE/de/p...0aAkSCEALw_wcB) and put some drops on suspicious connections and places. If there's a leak, you'll see bubbles.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
            Captain
            • Apr 2014

If the boat has piston tanks, the air pressure is provided by putting the tanks into dive position

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

He has already gutted the boat so it's just the hull. Think he wants to test the hull before he puts the internal back.
              The Type IX I got at SubFest arrived last night, much to the bewilderment of my kid. I need to work on my spatial awareness... this is a lot larger than I remembered. Tasks that I am looking at so far are: Correcting the warp in the bow Remove and updates electronics (already ordered a TD SR12 receiver) Replace 6v SLA
              Last edited by redboat219; 10-11-2023, 06:30 AM.
              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                Captain
                • Apr 2014

Then it's a valve and an air pump...

Comment

• Fishb0y
                  Lieutenant
                  • Jul 2023

Because of the size of the model and the volume of the dry hull, I am trying to use an out-of-the-box (pardon the pun) solution to verify integrity before I head out to a pond for the day. I've monitored plenty of hydros in my career, as well as some intimate time with "Chuck's law" by taking a reactor loop/pressurizer solid a few times.

The new receivers from FrSky have the ability on monitoring Altitude, which is what I'll use to record the internal hull pressure. As was mentioned earlier, pressurizing the hull would be through placing the pistons in dive then monitoring the "altitude" and temp over time to determine leak rate.

I'm actually cutting another couple of access holes in the dry hull for better servo placement. When I have the boat all buttoned up, I'll readdress my hydro procedure.

Comment

Working...