X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

RC Proteus

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5165.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.9 KB ID:	174359 From the West Coast Fall Run. No inside pics, but Steve Senecal is the owner.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5166.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.7 KB ID:	174358
    Last edited by Das Boot; 09-26-2023, 12:51 PM.
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Tim Senecal.

Comment

• Albacore 569
      Commander
      • Sep 2020

I was there with Tim. It was a great little model. It was dynamic diving and had excellent dynamic stablity. It was funny, at one point Tim was talking to a bystander and the sub continued on its own. I was watching as it glided along the smooth bottom and made a wide starboard turn & sailed up to the sloping concrete bank of the fly casting pond 'coming back home to momma'.

Tim used the same propulsion arrangement as on his Moebius 'Flying sub' from observing. No reverse thrust possible but none is needed. It turns on its axis too. Is it surprising Harper Goff the Art designer of the Nautilus in the Disney film in 1954 also designed the Proteus too in 1966.

Perfect proportions and dynamic stability. I guess eye balling, its the old but very true comment, it looks right, it usually 'flies' right. There was a Deep Flight there by John Kinkele too. Tim is very helpful, and deserves the 'Mike Dory helping folks' award.

The Clear dome on fron of Deep Flight is a plexiglass off the shelf camera dome cover. John has a video camera in the nose too.

Deep Flight and the Proteus were fun , small, handy. John's model was small so he can on take on trips while doing maintenance at various Hilton Hotels around the world. Something to play with in the pools. John said he uses the transmitter mixer to control the rear elevons for pitch and roll. I sent John 50 soe photos of the Real Deep Flight I took in 1999 in Point Richmond, California while in its 'hangar with Graham Hawkes present working in the shop. What a special privilege.

Add a mechanical robot claw under it between the two sponsons made of coper pipe and a floating annenna for tv reception in deep water, and you might have a good to ideal rescue submarine.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	fF7VUxE.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.4 KB ID:	174379
      Last edited by Albacore 569; 09-29-2023, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Das Boot
        Rear Admiral
        • Dec 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5178.png
Views:	170
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	174386 Here is a pic of the business side.
        Last edited by Das Boot; 09-28-2023, 10:44 AM.
        Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Albacore 569
          Commander
          • Sep 2020

John Kinkle 's released today Video from Mare Island Subcommittee regatta at Fly casting ponds at San Francisco's Golden Gate park.

Comment

• Groot689
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Mar 2016

The Proteus has always been one of my favorite submarines and I am planning on printing an upscaled (Larger) version in the near future. Do you have a schematic or at least pictures of what propulsion you used and how it was configured? You mention that you used the same setup as the Moebius Flying Sub but any additional pics or info would be really helpful. Many thanks!

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Last edited by redboat219; 09-30-2023, 10:43 AM.
              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

Working...