X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

Favorite Kit as a Kid.

For some reason, the Russian kits turned me on.
    Attached Files
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

XSL-01 moon rocket kit by Revell.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

I built CUTTY SARK twice. Buy my "Glow in the dark" Godzilla was a fan favorite always meeting it's end in a glorious firecracker attack.

Then there was tha ginormous (to me) SATURN V my dad and I built.

Come to think of it...
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• DrSchmidt
        Captain
        • Apr 2014

The first submarine kit I built is the infamous Nautilus kit from Aurora:

The first plastic kit I built with my dad was an Airfix Black Widow:

A kit I built also twice and that I'd love to build again - Airfix STarcruiser 1 (Garry Anderson)

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

I think my very first model kit was the Enterprise from the Start Trek motion picture. I was maybe three when the movie came out, but I think my parents got it for me when I was six or seven. I wasn't a trekkie back then.. hell I didn't even know which way was up after it was built.

That ship model was rode hard and put away wet, but I have great memories of it....

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            Rear Admiral
            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
            I think my very first model kit was the Enterprise from the Start Trek motion picture. I was maybe three when the movie came out, but I think my parents got it for me when I was six or seven. I wasn't a trekkie back then.. hell I didn't even know which way was up after it was built.

That ship model was rode hard and put away wet, but I have great memories of it....
            Bob,

I was stationed at Groton when I built my first NCC-1701: Refit.
            Circa early 1980. Here she is in my room at the "Off Crew" Quarters

Thank you for making me feel old.

My one consolation is HWSNBN is older.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan08202023152406_001.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	173246
            v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Farlan
              Ensign
              • Jun 2016

The Aurora/Monogram/Revell Skipjack. I have one on display in my classroom.....

Comment

• Albacore 569
                Commander
                • Sep 2020

Click image for larger version  Name:	fxRH71D.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.3 KB ID:	173253Click image for larger version  Name:	8qObv1Q.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.2 KB ID:	173252
                Originally posted by Farlan
                The Aurora/Monogram/Revell Skipjack. I have one on display in my classroom.....
                I had a Aurora Skipjack too. I remember taking, model to my second grade for Friday 'sharing'. Mrs Combs read the story about the model from the kit instructions to the class and the teacher was surprised hne she read the submarine would 'fly underwater like an airplane. The bits on things you remember.

We moved and late rin another class, I shared a monogram P-38 model, but the teacher left the class for a teachers conference or something. and the class bully Scott DeBishop took my model and was running around the room wit it to **** my off threating break it. Years later in high school h was still a bully. We had it out one day and I beat the living crap out of him, and he never bothered me ever again The Monogram Kits where awesome then Moving up to 1/48 scale was going int the big time...lol. And the kit had options which version! But the models I remember most that snad out are these.

Click image for larger version  Name:	lAyMgvM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	173250 Click image for larger version  Name:	XOWEQOZ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	173251

Click image for larger version  Name:	KZkJ7FD.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	173249.
                Last edited by Albacore 569; 08-20-2023, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

The type of kits I was assembling while stationed aboard the TRUTTA. Once you qualified you got to sleep in the barracks!

Name:	DSCF7907.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	173255

Name:	DSCF7912.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	173256
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    !

Name:	DSCF7907.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	173255
                    AND you think HE had a baby face!

Name:	1979Patrol43.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	173259
                    v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Sep 2015

BTW....

ALL HAIL "THE CUP"!

Virtually indestructible, and coffee NEVER tasted better.
                      (Not allowed to be washed with soap by order of the COB)

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230820_232718966.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	173261
                      v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• Das Boot
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy

Mine was a piper airplane my mom got me when I was 6, after my tonsils were removed.
                        Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• SubSteve
                          Lieutenant
                          • Apr 2022

Late 60's Aurora et. al. Seaview, Type VII, and SSN-571 Nautilus. I sense a theme here.
                          Also did miscellaneous surface ships like the Lindberg Bismark and Hood. In my world the Bismark lost due to the superior firepower of the Remington .22! My dad was in naval aviation so I built my share of 1/72 aircraft, notably the A3 and A6.

Comment

Working...