Good news everybody! (ala Prof Farnsworth)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Good news everybody! (ala Prof Farnsworth)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crimes_of_the_Hot_29_-_87.webp
Views:	209
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	172510

The FrSky Dual Frequency install on the 591 appears to be a success! My first ever system using BOTH 2.4Ghz and 900Mhz simultaneously.

Transmitter: FrSky X20S w/ETHOS OS

Name:	PXL_20230728_202104597.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	172511

Receivers
    Primary (2.4Ghz LOS at PD): ARCHER PLUS SR10+ 2.4Ghz (Gyro-stabilized receivers with a built-in 3-axis gyroscope and 3-axis accelerometer)
    Secondary (900Mhz Close aboard Deep Submergence) : R9 MM-OTA Receiver (connected via SBUS to the Primary)

Name:	PXL_20230728_203647277.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	172512

Everything is up and running, still tweaking this and that (Dual ratyes/Expos) . Telemetry looks great!

Name:	PXL_20230728_215458641.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	172513

T-B, L-R

RSSI: 2.4Ghz “Received Signal Strength Indicator,” is a measurement of how well your device can hear a signal. In other words, RSSI is a value for determining a good wireless connection.

RSSI 900M: Same as above but for the 900Mhz

RxBatt: Voltage the Receiver is operating at.

P.Angle: The boats present Pitch Angle, aka her "Bubble", as you see sitting on her stand she's has a "Down Bubble" of ~ 1/2°.

R.Angle: The boats present Roll Angle, aka her "List", she has a slight list to Starboard of ~ 1/2°.

Pot1: Percentage of the Pot Dial I use as the throttle. 14% ~ A-A 1/3 bell

VFAS: Main Battery Voltage ​​

Current: TOTAL Current draw of the boat

Consumption: Not sure yet, but I think it is the total current over time. If I ran at the .3A for 3 hours it should show the capacity that has been reduced from the battery IE .9A I didn't run it long enough to find out. Subtract that from my total capacity (7.5Ah) I have 6.6Ah Capacity remaining.

I'm still playing with what I want on this screen, you can see in the area I circled that RSSI for BOTH receivers is diplayed anyway, along with the TX Voltage, so I may display something else!

Sooooooo many features, soooooo little time!
    ​​

Very pleased.

Deep Submergence testing at Cohutta.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

OK, I'm interested but I have questions...

I see where there's all kinds of feedback possible but as far as I can tell any information gleaned from the feedback must be processed by the person (in their head) holding the xmtr/rcvr box. That's the true feedback loop connection. The operator perceives some data and does something with that data - turn left - blow ballast - something else.

My question is...Is there any way to output the feedback data into a microprocessor - like an Arduino - do some crunching on that data and then feed a response back to the sub - to do something - without involving the operator's time or brain power?

Captain Curious
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by roedj
      OK, I'm interested but I have questions...

I see where there's all kinds of feedback possible but as far as I can tell any information gleaned from the feedback must be processed by the person (in their head) holding the xmtr/rcvr box. That's the true feedback loop connection. The operator perceives some data and does something with that data - turn left - blow ballast - something else.

My question is...Is there any way to output the feedback data into a microprocessor - like an Arduino - do some crunching on that data and then feed a response back to the sub - to do something - without involving the operator's time or brain power?

Captain Curious
      Probably through the RX SBUS out or something. Though I'm not sure what exactly what level of automation you'd assume to achieve.

I hear what your saying, and would be pretty cool for someone to do, but it is not for me to pursue. It's not my path and doesn't meet my requirements.

My interaction with the model, based on information displayed like this, is what floats my boat.

It's also why I will never own a self driving vehicle, not that I feel it's unsafe, or am I bothered by AI at all. In fact, I will welcome our future AI overlords, I'm sure they'll be better wards of the planet than us.

But honestly, if the operation (the decision making) of the vehicle is not me, I personally, won't bother. I like exercising what little brainpower I have.

I prefer enhancing the users experience, not replacing it.

Looking forward to someone else taking the lead for Automation.
      v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• roedj
        Captain
        • Sep 2008

"Bilbo, don't take for for some conjurer of cheap tricks. I'm trying to help you." - Gandalf

For automation I was thinking more of an overall watch dog of the boat - analyzing the data feedback - detecting trends perhaps even so slight as to be imperceptible to the "human" - and taking an action (blowing ballast?) to save the boat. Something like that.

But, as you say, it does open a whole new world of automation.

Captain Conjurer

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by roedj
          "Bilbo, don't take for for some conjurer of cheap tricks. I'm trying to help you." - Gandalf

For automation I was thinking more of an overall watch dog of the boat - analyzing the data feedback - detecting trends perhaps even so slight as to be imperceptible to the "human" - and taking an action (blowing ballast?) to save the boat. Something like that.

But, as you say, it does open a whole new world of automation.

Captain Conjurer
          Dig the Gandalf quote! (Because of the following it didn't occur to me what you were truly asking, it's been done for years and it's kinda second nature to me.)

Yeah, that's already handled by the onboard Failsafe. (Emergency Blow)

I set it up 2 ways.

A-2.4Ghz Loss of signal (being at PD, close to surface where the antenna may dip due to inattention))

1-Immediate ALL STOP (Throttle to 0)
          2-Fairwater/Bow Planes FULL RISE
          3-Stern Planes FULL RISE

She coasts right back up to regain signal, if not....

4-A 9 Second delay then Tank Blow by gas

Which is the true failsafe indicating the boat is in real trouble.
          The 9 second delay saves gas from inadvertent 2.4Ghz signal loss. Your choice may be different. I selected 9 from Wisdom (IOW 32 years of experience) and a personal tribute to an RC Sub Pioneer..

B-2.4 Ghz/900Mhz or standalone 900Mhz Loss of Signal (Boat ONLY operating in a clear, easy to retrieve venue with 0% chance of loss)

2-A 5 Second delay then Tank Blow by gas.

Low Battary can be set as well.

FWIW, watching RSSI (no need to stare until 50% lol) I can steer the boat back to a high signal strength.

On the video Bob made of ARGONAUT at the "Fitz Fun Float" we ran at, he had her about 200 feet away, decks awash, with the 900Mhz antenna within the hull maybe 2-3" below the surface (manmade pond, no added chemicals) had an RSSI of 40%. The SHARK following behind him at PD with the then JETI Radio had an RSSI about 80%. When I get to about 300' awaya at PD, she drops to 50-60% and rapidly falls off. FWIW The JETI DS-12 has NO external antenna. The previous Radiolink AT10 II I had install previously stilled maintained RSSI 70%+ this distance due I believe to her external, but at that point tracking the periscope visually is problematic.

This VERY RSSI experience is why I will continue to set boats up with both. antennas. Anyone here who truly operates RC Subs can attest 300' range is more than enough operating at PD. Even on the surface, depending on the boat size can be difficult with sun glare.

What I love about the TANDEM X20 series IS the external antenna ports, the HORUS with the R9M Module has them as well. Nice thing I about the HORUS that I wish the TANDEM had was that external XT30 Power Port so you don't drain the TX battery at 1W on the 900Mhz. Field testing exactly what the minimum power requirements for myself, and other operators will determine what level they "really" need for their environments
          v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• roedj
            Captain
            • Sep 2008

Thanks for the feedback - this all sounds very promising.

Captain Curious

Comment

Working...