X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thorbrandr
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2022

AD2 photo sensitivity?

Has any one seen any photo sensitivity on the AD2 depth controller. Maybe I missed something in the manual when I last read it last year, but I don't remember seeing anything on this....

What happened: I trimmed up the level on my R10 on the bench, and took it to the local lake beach. Put the sub on its stand on the back of the truck to hook up power, and noticed the planes were way off. They changed when the cover was put on. No physical interference. I opened it up again to check. my daughter moved, casting a shadow on the AD2. plane angle changed. We had the boat out earlier in the day than I normally take it out. light ws different.

Once we dealt with that it, we had it very nicely trimmed out.

Thanks
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Shouldn't have any impact on the leveller unless it's loose in the module/wtc. Have you got the device well secured ?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

I am not aware of any photosensitive components installed in an AD2. Not saying it didn't happen, but could it be another input (vibration, temperature) that was causing the issue?

Comment

• gantu
        Commander
        • Apr 2009

Hello better buy an modern one like this
        Regards Gantu

Comment

• Thorbrandr
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Mar 2022

The AD2 is well secured within the WTC.

This was very much a light/shade position issue, not a mechanical orientation or shake issue. Moving the area of shade on and off the AD2, for example waving your hand, was all it took to get the dive planes to shift. Shift on the planes was not to the maximum position, so it was not acting like the signal override.

Looks like another source for control electronics there....

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            Rear Admiral
            • Sep 2015

Go German Engineering, or go home.

I use these exclusivly now. My boats performance speaks for itself.

Yes, I can adjust the gain (sensitivity) from a pot on my Transmitter, while underway. It also handles a backing bell.
            The extra pennies are worth not fiddling at the bench or shoreside.

Pitch Controller LRpro
            Item #: 1576
            The world's first pitch control with remote controlled sensitivity adjustment

If you don't want remote adjustment, less pennies.

Pitch Controller SPC3
            Item #: 1574-3
            Universal pitch control for model submarines
            v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
            NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
            USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Sinksalot
              Commander
              • Mar 2020

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
              Go German Engineering, or go home.

Yes, I can adjust the gain (sensitivity) from a pot on my Transmitter, while underway. It also handles a backing bell.

Pitch Controller LRpro
              Item #: 1576
              The world's first pitch control with remote controlled sensitivity adjustment

If you don't want remote adjustment, less pennies.

Pitch Controller SPC3
              Item #: 1574-3
              Universal pitch control for model submarines

I agree with Ed. I use LRpro in my Type IX and I use a SPC3 in my I-19 sub. Both work perfect.

Comment

• gantu
                Commander
                • Apr 2009

Both pitch controller comes comes from the company I postet .
                Regards Gantu

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Sep 2015

Originally posted by gantu
                  It's better to put as DIRECT LINK to the component in question rather to one showing ballast controls in a language the user (in this case English) may not know.

Tends to be a tad more helpful.
                  v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by gantu
                    While we're on the subject of posting recommendations, I wish to clarify my immediate past response to you....

IF you truly want to be helpful in a forum when you respond with a suggestion:

1-Provide a reason why you recommend it.
                    ​​
                    2-Give MORE information than "Go HERE!". Maybe include Description and Part No in the link, so they know EXACTLY what to look for. God that "off the cuff" response scrams my reactor. Might as well tell them to Google "Next generation RC Submarine Pitch Controller". People are NOT going to filter through pages at a website unless they're desperate. Humans don't work like that.
                    3-Best yet, provide validation. Back up your claim!. How many times I hear...."My brother's sister's cousin said they know someone who has a sub working on 900Mhz"
                    Look, I'm not picking on you, I wish a lot of the armchair warriors out here would provide a bit more than the "over the shoulder" comment or link.

Capt. Martin is the first one always asking me to be concise lol! I'm the first to admit I should be as well. Look at this post lol!

But I'm a believer in MORE information is always better than LESS.

Just look at "He who shall not be named" postings. He provides all 3 parts outlined above. That's what I get from him, and why he has so many followers. What gets him respect and recognition. We all should be "gulp" inspired by that.

This help's someone NEW to the craft!

IF you truly want to be helpful

If not? Then why bother?
                    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 07-25-2023, 09:31 AM.
                    v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

I would suggest that there's nothing inherently wrong with the AD2 design, other products may offer additional features, but the AD2 should be more than up to the job of levelling your sub. So lets do some basic sleuthing to narrow down the issue. Although highly possible it could be a faulty board, it may not have anything to do with the leveller.

You may want to consult directly with Bob Martin, whom I assume you purchased it from, or Kevin McLeod, who designed and built it. If it is the leveller and it's a new item, then they should be happy to replace or repair any defects in the item.

There are no components inside any leveller I know of that would behave in such a way you have described when exposed to daylight of any description.

We've ascertained the leveller is well secured, so the next thing I would look at doing is try plugging the leveller into another channel of the receiver to see if it acts the same. Next thing I would look at is the supply to the receiver (BEC?) and servos, if that's dipping it could cause strange behaviour, try a separate 4.8-6v supply. Then I would see if the leveller works okay on the bench with a servo tester or a known good receiver. Try a different servo.
                      Last edited by Subculture; 07-26-2023, 04:29 AM.

Comment

• Thorbrandr
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Mar 2022

All, this is not a practical issue on the AD2. Unless the sun starts shining on the WTC, which in most cases means the sub is out of the water for service. It just caught me by surprise, and led to an adjustment I should not have made.

Overalll, the AD2 has Ben working very very well since the firmware update, which was unique issue for that version of the software.

I recommend the AD2. Will be getting more.

Comment

Working...