X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Model operating at Cohutta on dual freq "B" is the setup. She already lost 2.4 at depth, so having that "A" is meaningless, "B" works should something occur in fresh water.

BTW, on dual mode, AT PD or above she's automatically picking up the stronger signal.

Redundancy, it's a GOOD thing.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

I am going to experiment with the X20S and TD R10. I will extend one of the 2.4 antennas. It won't have stabilization but that can be dealt with later if needed.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by SubDude
        I am going to experiment with the X20S and TD R10. I will extend one of the 2.4 antennas. It won't have stabilization but that can be dealt with later if needed.
        Awesome, please post what you think. We need more datapoints so people can make informed decisions.

Don't worry about stabilization yet. Having the STA is pretty cool with telemetry feedback of roll, pitch and heading. For example I easily trim my boat now to within 1/2 deg in the X, Y axis, While undewary I can see performance at different speed and accommodate. Gives you something to do than just run circles or figure eights. When she's in the distance I easily know which direction she's pointing at as opposed to making out the tiny twig of a scope.

Soon enough I hope to make a determination as to how we can use it for pitch control, eliminating not only a BLM, but the APC. I wasn't impressed by the Jeti system doing it, but they have a weird algorithm for Gain apparently. These are obviously set up for a different type of craft in a different medium.

Saving a $100 or so in additional hardware justifies it and lessens points of failure.

Stay tuned!
        v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

Awesome, please post what you think. We need more datapoints so people can make informed decisions.

Don't worry about stabilization yet. Having the STA is pretty cool with telemetry feedback of roll, pitch and heading. For example I easily trim my boat now to within 1/2 deg in the X, Y axis, While undewary I can see performance at different speed and accommodate. Gives you something to do than just run circles or figure eights. When she's in the distance I easily know which direction she's pointing at as opposed to making out the tiny twig of a scope.

Soon enough I hope to make a determination as to how we can use it for pitch control, eliminating not only a BLM, but the APC. I wasn't impressed by the Jeti system doing it, but they have a weird algorithm for Gain apparently. These are obviously set up for a different type of craft in a different medium.

Saving a $100 or so in additional hardware justifies it and lessens points of failure.

Stay tuned!
          They are set up for flying contraptions. Stabilization on a plane for instance happens with very small quick movements of the control surfaces usually as a response to turbulent air pushing the plane around. Such is not the case on a sub obviously. It would be nice if the stabilization could be made to work on a sub but not a game changer for me.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            Rear Admiral
            • Sep 2015

I'm using the new Engel LRpro on SHARK. Gain is adjusted from a rotary knob on my TX. Takes an extra channel, but man can I dial in that boat! I like the reversing feature which automaticall detects the backing bell.

Going to really pay off in a WTC I'm working on that will be shared among 4 boats.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lrpro.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	172127
            v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              Rear Admiral
              • Sep 2015

Steve,

I'm gonna start posting the Radio stuff on the new "RC Submarine Radios" Forums Bob made for us.

I'll start with some EXCELLENT links to help get us rolling.

Is your radio using ETHOS or still at OPEN TX?

Ed
              v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• SubDude
                Captain
                • Dec 2019

Steve,

I'm gonna start posting the Radio stuff on the new "RC Submarine Radios" Forums Bob made for us.

I'll start with some EXCELLENT links to help get us rolling.

Is your radio using ETHOS or still at OPEN TX?

Ed
                Ethos according to the information I see. It is the same radio you show in your first post.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Sep 2015

Ethos according to the information I see. It is the same radio you show in your first post.
                  Awesomesauce, you'll be able to use the model templates Bob and I develop. From there it's easy enough to tailor them to specific needs.

1-Standard Stick layout w/Channel Assignment (The standard 5 minimum)
                  Helm
                  Fairwater/Bow Planes
                  Stern Planes
                  Throttle
                  Ballast Control

2-Fail safe Setup
                  All Stop
                  Full rise all planes
                  Delayed Ballast surface.

Again all of which is easily tailored
                  v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

Working...