X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Groot689
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2016

Disney Nautilus Reference Sources

During the course of my restoration of the Disney Nautilus I have had to reference a number of different sources in order to address questions like rivet patterns, hull or wheel house features etc. Like any other project, there have been different "interpretations" of this boat depending on each individual. And yes, I have tried to refer back to Harper Goff's original designs and the extensive research done by William Babbington. Can anyone (Bob, I need your help on this) recommend an accurate and available source of technical data on the Disney Nautilus preferably with blueprints and lots of pics? I recently purchased a beautifully formatted book apparently on the Nautilus only to discover that it bore no resemblance to the Disney boat. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

A large can of worms. Some modellers go into detail with this boat like a forensic scientist.

The 11ft hero is often considered to be the definitive reference as it had a full hull, but deck detail differed from the large full size set pieces in many tangible ways, glass hemispheres were more bug eyed on the larger set, gills were different along with details like bollards/mooring posts, hatch wheel detail etc. Most models are a fusion of the two e.g. generally the rivet pattern favoured is the 11 footer, but details like the deck grilles are often taken from the larger set pieces.

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Andy is correct, the filming models do not match up. The set pieces are not the same as filming models. So, you will need to make your peace with how you want to proceed. Many select the 11’ as their source, some use plans. A note on plans, they also do not match up to what is filmed. Why? When sets were built, changes happened on the fly. I enjoyed all the Disney Nautilus subs I have seen. They all captured my imagination like the movie did. I never counted rivets or measured dimensions or scale. Enjoy your adventure, I will.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Not much more to add other than what was already said. Take your sources, pick your favorite parts, and build a boat that you love. If someone rivet counts you, punch them in the eye… you have my permission.

Comment

• Groot689
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Mar 2016

Thanks everyone for your fast response. I definitely hear what you are saying and to a great extent, this is what I have encountered so far in this project. I have definitely infused some "artistic license especially on the topic of rivet patterns and assorted outer hull details. Are there any reference materials that showcase the 11 footer? Wheelhouse interior details? Right now, I am limited to using a small file from the original Disney blueprints, pictures from William Babbington and pictures from Jim Key.

Comment

• Groot689
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Mar 2016

Well, I believe I found what I was looking for and the irony is that I had it the whole time. Years ago I purchased a collection of movie stills, firsthand pictures of Harper Goff blueprints, Babbington's construction of the wooden plug for his 7 footer and much more from the Disneysub.com website. many of the pictures are amazing and included a number of pictures from the 11 footer. I could spend a lifetime detailing the wheelhouse for example which is definitely not going to happen. Anyway, I believe my search is over. Sigh.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Groot689; 04-12-2023, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Working...