X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

I have a 3D request

Can someone with a 3D printer grab the 571 Nautilus Cad Files from Bob, at the best smooth print, and print me out the parts? You figure out the price with time, whatever type you decide to use, (SLA, SKS, FDM), etc, just PM me a price. Afterwards I will buy my own printer, but first I want an example. I’m in no hurry.

Casey
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

There is a set of much better files out there. The Nautilus was one of my first and while it's okay, I'm the first to admit that there is better out there. Regardless, someone help Casey out! I'd do it, but all my printers are running full bore, 24/7 right now.

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

I could do it but it would be awhile until I could get to it with the printing I have in my queue to do. What size are you looking for?

Comment

• Das Boot
        Rear Admiral
        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
        There is a set of much better files out there. The Nautilus was one of my first and while it's okay, I'm the first to admit that there is better out there. Regardless, someone help Casey out! I'd do it, but all my printers are running full bore, 24/7 right now.
        Bob,
        Do you have a link for the files you are referring to? Thanks.

Casey

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

USS Nautilus SSN-571 This is an American submarine and was the world's first nuclear-powered submarine. This material may not be sold, shared in groups or published. Files are 3D watermarked www.watermark3d.com It was drawn in 1:72 scale. Dimensions 1:72 Length= 1356mm Width= 125mm Height= 223mm If the boat is desired in another scale, instructions for printing are available as PDF.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
            Captain
            • Apr 2014

The only other version out there I know:

Comment

• RanSan
              Lieutenant
              • May 2020

What filament are you thinking of?

Comment

• Das Boot
                Rear Admiral
                • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RanSan
                What filament are you thinking of?
                Anything with a smooth texture. This will be a static model for display.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Casey,

PLA would work, but it does require filler primer and sanding to get a somewhat smooth finish! I do not know the finish you would get with other type of filaments! My Dremel 3D40 only prints with PLA. The print bed size is X- 255mm (10") Y- 155mm (6") Z- 170mm (6.7") I had to reduce the size down on some of Nautilus Drydocks print files!

If I ever replace my Dremel I would get the Ender 5+, that's the one Steve is having such great success with, and it is not as expensive as the Dremel 3D40 ($1350.00)

Rob
                  "Firemen can stand the heat"
                  Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-21-2022, 02:46 AM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    Welcome to my underwater realm!
                    • Aug 2009

Casey,

For display, I'd recommend going with a resin print from someone. Far better surface finish. What scale are you wanting?

Bob

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                      Casey,

For display, I'd recommend going with a resin print from someone. Far better surface finish. What scale are you wanting?

Bob
                      I would say 1/96. Looking for a winter project to do, and I love the Nautilus.

Comment

• RanSan
                        Lieutenant
                        • May 2020

I’ll private message you I don’t have anything on my printer right now.

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Casey,
                          Let me see what I can do for you, if you do not have a solution.
                          Peace,
                          Tom​
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RanSan
                            Lieutenant
                            • May 2020

A comment on the Cult3d files mentioned above. First let me say the files will print. The file package is great a lot of extras and nice design. But there are a lot of artifacts in the prints which I have tried to fix with a couple programs. What I have found is it will take a lot of clean up/ post processing. I am attempting to attach some pictures but having some trouble. Once I get it figured out I will give you some idea of what to expect.
                            Randy

Comment

• RanSan
                              Lieutenant
                              • May 2020

I get a time out error every time I try and upload the pictures. Here is what I found in words. The wall thickness is about 1.5-1.6 on average which means anything on the inside shows on the outside. I have been able to reduce it a little by setting my slicer to print outer parameters first but it still shows. Everywhere there is a hull penetration you get a chance in appearance for that entire layer. Several of the parts have errors when I import into my slicer (Prusa Slicer). Prusa Slicer auto corrects so I don't know how they would come out if there were not fixed. But even with the auto fix there are errors it can not fix. The way the files are a sections that should print in about 5 hours takes 9 hrs. There is one section that estimates 14 hours. I have printed 18 subs (sorry Rob have you beat) so am familiar with the topic and for the size (1/96 scale) 14 hrs is way to long. I have opened a new roll of filament and cleaned my nozzle so that is not the problem.

I use a delta printer at 45 mm/s, Prusa Slicer. I'm printing in Overture PLA which works great on my machine.

Having said all that I still recommend these files knowing there are issues and you may have to do some work to clean up the print.

Randy​

Comment

Working...