X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deepseadiver
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

torpedo system

I am interested in some kind of torpedo lunching system. I think when something is made i then will proceed in a future submarine build. I want some one to take the time and get one made because a lot of people want it. If they would make a system i will buy many submarine kits .
    Jim
    Last edited by deepseadiver; 12-10-2008, 04:13 AM.
    Put your mind to it. If there's a will there's a way!
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

How Large an Explosive charge yield do you require in these Torpedos? :cool:
    Last edited by toppack; 12-09-2008, 10:56 AM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

How about this one?
      See Link:
      Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
        Rear Admiral
        • Nov 2008

I'd think the only thing limiting the smallest scale size of these torpedos would be the diameter of the motor used. There are very small batteries so that would only limit the run time.
        You use a servo activated trigger that releases a spring to push out torpedo. When it's out a momentary off switch, that is pushed in and turned off when it's pushed into launch tube, turns on drive motor when released. The nose and aft sections need to be made of wood or something that will float well. Inside there is only a motor/propshaft, battery and switch/wires.
        Of course the torpedo Keeps-going until it's retrieved, goes on to beach or the battery runs down. :D
        Last edited by toppack; 12-09-2008, 09:54 PM.
        Rick L.

Comment

• deepseadiver
          Commander
          • Aug 2008

Hi toppack,
          yes this is exactly what im looking for . Know my problem is how to get incontact with the manufacturer, So i can buy the system . Its very impressive i mostly will be using it in a large swimming pool, and i could paint them a bright color so if i launch in a pond i will see them floating on the surface, but pool is fine with me, Do you know who sell them?
          Thanks for the info much apreciate. I know David M was working on a system but he got tied up on other projects, but this is important to me and many others. Please let me know were to purchase .
          Mike, C if you see this email please respond also since you are incontact with David M
          Thanks
          Jim A
          Last edited by deepseadiver; 12-10-2008, 04:10 AM.

Comment

• toppack
            Rear Admiral
            • Nov 2008

Sorry, I've not seen any in production for sale.
            Only individuals designing and making them for their own use.
            Last edited by toppack; 12-10-2008, 11:01 AM.
            Rick L.

Comment

• deepseadiver
              Commander
              • Aug 2008

Ok on torpedo sytem. I though it would be a try to see what's out there. I will keep waiting maybe one day.

Jim

Comment

• toppack
                Rear Admiral
                • Nov 2008

I've started designing my own Torpedos and launch tubes in 1/48th scale.
                Other than finding the correct size parts, I think designing the spring-loaded trigger, that servo activates, is going to be the most difficult part of the tube assembly.
                It needs to locked in well enough to eliminate accidental launches but loose enough that the servo can release it.
                That will require 2 springs, since I would not want to take deck-cover off each time to reset trigger manually.
                So there will need be a fine balance of spring forces and servo force, on the release trigger.
                The spring forces are going to be critical for both launch-force and trigger-force, which will probably require a great deal of experimentation.
                I need to find a spring manufacturer that will give out free spring samples. :D LOL :D
                Last edited by toppack; 12-31-2008, 02:10 PM.
                Rick L.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
                  I've started designing my own Torpedos and launch tubes in 1/48th scale.
                  Other than finding the correct size parts, I think designing the spring-loaded trigger, that servo activates, is going to be the most difficult part of the tube assembly.
                  It needs to locked in well enough to eliminate accidental launches but loose enough that the servo can release it.
                  That will require 2 springs, since I would not want to take deck-cover off each time to reset trigger manually.
                  So there will need be a fine balance of spring forces and servo force, on the release trigger.
                  The spring forces are going to be critical for both launch-force and trigger-force, which will probably require a great deal of experimentation.
                  I need to find a spring manufacturer that will give out free spring samples. :D LOL :D
                  You can achieve exceptionally high restraining force, yet need only marginal releasing force if you use 'locking balls' as the trip mechanism (think, Aeroquip type quick-connect fittings, they use that lock-and-latch type mechanism).

David,
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Nov 2008

I think I know what you mean. But wouldn't that require a 3rd spring to seat the ball into a groove?
                    Altho a great trigger design, it would complicate the assembly more, I think?

Springs:
                    1- large one to push out torpedo
                    1 - to seat ****ing ball
                    1 - to reset trigger automatically, when servo is reversed

The reset spring would need more force than the ****ing spring, to allow it to reset, and the reset spring would need to be weak enough, and the servo strong enough, to out pull both spring's forces combined. Which gets kinda complicated.

But it may be worth it, to get a reliable design, if the proper force spings could be found.
                    I think on my first design I'll try to limit it to 2 springs, tho. (1 launch & 1 reset)
                    Thanks for the Idea,
                    Last edited by Kazzer; 02-22-2009, 03:11 PM.
                    Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Nov 2008

David,
                      I may have come up with another design that combines the cocking and reset into 1 spring. By putting the cocking groove into the torpedo itself, not in the trigger-arm. So the ball sits in a depression in torpedo case.
                      The torpedo's power switch could be down in that depression also, with a membrane seal, so it would have double function, with no switch protruding thru side of torpedo.

Maybe that's what you were talking about?
                      Last edited by toppack; 12-31-2008, 04:57 PM.
                      Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Nov 2008

I've about desided to go with a battery for power instead of a charged capacitor, since it would be very difficult to load the torpedo without accidently discharging the cap and the Run time is Very Short with a cap. (2 seconds or less, even with current limiting resistor)
                        It would not get to shore with that run time.

I may not be able to find at least 3.volts worth of Rechargable battery-pack that small tho, may have to go with non-rechargables.
                        Last edited by toppack; 12-31-2008, 05:02 PM.
                        Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Nov 2008

I also determined that I'll also need to build a torpedo Holding fixture, to have on shore, to keep batteries from discharging thur motor, until I can reinstall them in sub.
                          Unless I put in a 2nd power Switch or added some kind of slide inside torpedo to deactivate the Momentary switch, which again could get too complicated.
                          Last edited by toppack; 12-31-2008, 05:13 PM.
                          Rick L.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
                            David,
                            I may have come up with another design that combines the cocking and reset into 1 spring. By putting the cocking groove into the torpedo itself, not in the trigger-arm. So the ball sits in a depression in torpedo case.
                            The torpedo's power switch could be down in that depression also, with a membrane seal, so it would have double function, with no switch protruding thru side of torpedo.

Maybe that's what you were talking about?
                            think: magnetic reed-switch.

David,
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
                              think: magnetic reed-switch.

David,
                              Hey, Great Idea!
                              I could mount one of the magnets, I now have ordered, in wall of launch tube, and no need for switch hole in torpedo.
                              A simple contact-arm switch should be fairly easy to make, if I can't find sealed reed-switches that will fit, and mount inside torpedo.
                              I can use a tray, with magnets built in, to deactivate and hold the torpedos when on shore.
                              I may have to Order More Magnets! :)
                              Thanks,
                              Last edited by toppack; 01-01-2009, 11:39 AM.
                              Rick L.

Comment

Working...