Name:	Russian Kilo Kit.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	158079Click image for larger version

Name:	70 mm WTC.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	158080

This is the 1:96 scale Russian Kilo kit and 70 mm WTC that I purchased from Nautilus Drydocks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Russian Kilo 1.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	158081

The photo above shows the hull and the components that come with the kit! It's my understanding that David M. did a lot of the accessories that came with this kit. I will be posting up photo as I make progress on this boat. This will not only be my first real diving boat, but it will also be somewhat of a break-away for me from 3D printed hulls. I will have to acquire another learning skill to build this boat. I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions. I am really looking forward to this build!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Attached Files
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

I have done a little prelim. work on the hull sections.

Name:	Kilo Hull View.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	158101Click image for larger version

Name:	Kilo Hull 1.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	158102

Name:	Kilo Hull 2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	158103

I am new at working with this type of material, so I will have a learning curve for sure. I do know one thing for sure, and that any cutting or sanding will be done outside and with a mask for sure.

As you can see the hull is not coming together at this point. Cutting and sanding will be in my future for sure! (I just love 3D Printing) :-) I will get it done with some forethought and being patient with the process!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

QUESTION: What type of health reactions should I be aware of working with this fiber glass hull? I just made a cut into the hull with a razor saw. I had a N-94 mask on, long pants, long sleeve shirt. With-in mins. my skin broke out with a bad rash! Has anyone had this situation working with this type of material?

Rob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
        QUESTION: What type of health reactions should I be aware of working with this fiber glass hull? I just made a cut into the hull with a razor saw. I had a N-94 mask on, long pants, long sleeve shirt. With-in mins. my skin broke out with a bad rash! Has anyone had this situation working with this type of material?

Rob
        The glass is not the issue. The cured resin -- now in aerosol size chunks is. Is it polyester or epoxy laminating resin the manufacturer uses to lay up of the KILO's GRP parts? Once you know, look up the OSHA data on that stuff.

Never bothered Ellie or me and we inhaled decades worth of shop dust and fumes. I don't think we can pin her cancer on it, her lungs were clean. Most allergic reactions originate with the uncured, but catalyzed resin, not the cured stuff. And that's not your situation here.

So, Ron, there you have it, a focus group of two.

David
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-18-2022, 06:57 PM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

Rob, I have never had any reaction to the dust from cutting or sanding either polyester or epoxy resin but everyone is different. Was the rash just on your hands? If so, you may just want to put some gloves on along with the mask and long sleeves etc. It's always good to learn to work with different mediums.

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

The glass is not the issue. The cured resin -- now in aerosol size chunks is. Is it polyester or epoxy laminating resin the manufacturer uses to lay up of the KILO's GRP parts? Once you know, look up the OSHA data on that stuff.

Never bothered Ellie or me and we inhaled decades worth of shop dust and fumes. I don't think we can pin her cancer on it, her lungs were clean. Most allergic reactions originate with the uncured, but catalyzed resin, not the cured stuff. And that's not your situation here.

So, Ron, there you have it, a focus group of two.

David
            Thank you for the information, David. For now, I will continue to cover up as much as possible. It's for sure I will be outside with it during that fitting process. That would be a shame if I could not do this build. I will take the necessary precautions and see how it goes

Lorraine and I are so sorry to hear about Ellie!

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thank you for the information, David. For now, I will continue to cover up as much as possible. It's for sure I will be outside with it during that fitting process. That would be a shame if I could not do this build. I will take the necessary precautions and see how it goes

Lorraine and I are so sorry to hear about Ellie!

Rob
              Ellie had a good run. Left nothing but smiles in her wake. Modern medical care kept her going, and comfortable to the end.

No one gets out of here alive. Make hay while you can.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• vital.spark
                Commander
                • May 2010

David, I didn't realize that Ellie had passed. She was so delightful to be around and both Fanny and I always had smiles on our faces when being with her!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by vital.spark
                  David, I didn't realize that Ellie had passed. She was so delightful to be around and both Fanny and I always had smiles on our faces when being with her!
                  She did that, didn't she. I was one lucky SOB. We so enjoyed your visit and good company. You still two-wheeling it around the world?

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCJetDude
                    Rob, I have never had any reaction to the dust from cutting or sanding either polyester or epoxy resin but everyone is different. Was the rash just on your hands? If so, you may just want to put some gloves on along with the mask and long sleeves etc. It's always good to learn to work with different mediums.
                    Hi Steve,

I will do my best to keep covered up. Another lesson learned. I do have another question. Can you apply heat to polyester or epoxy resin hull to shape them a little?

Rob

Comment

• SubDude
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2019

Yes, but carefully. On a hull as thin as the Kilo the heat from a standard hair dryer may be sufficient. I have heard where some will band/brace the hull and leave it set in the sun for a bit. My Nautilus hull was pretty badly warped when I got it and after some coaxing and a significant amount of heat from a heat gun I was able to get the top and bottom to mate back up pretty darn good but it is a considerably thick Polyester hull.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCJetDude
                        Yes, but carefully. On a hull as thin as the Kilo the heat from a standard hair dryer may be sufficient. I have heard where some will band/brace the hull and leave it set in the sun for a bit. My Nautilus hull was pretty badly warped when I got it and after some coaxing and a significant amount of heat from a heat gun I was able to get the top and bottom to mate back up pretty darn good but it is a considerably thick Polyester hull.
                        Thanks Steve,

Today I will start the cutting and sanding and start bringing the two sections together. I feel confident that with a little finessing it will come together, and if a little heat will help i will certainly go slow with thar process for sure. Thanks again for the advice Steve.

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks Steve,

Today I will start the cutting and sanding and start bringing the two sections together. I feel confident that with a little finessing it will come together, and if a little heat will help i will certainly go slow with thar process for sure. Thanks again for the advice Steve.

Rob
                          Though it's the BLUEBACK kit, it does demonstrate how the forward and after ends of the KILO kit goes together:

Name:	DSCF7220.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	158152

Name:	DSCF7219.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	158153

Name:	DSCF8414.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	158154

Name:	DSCF8410.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	158155

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Though it's the BLUEBACK kit, it does demonstrate how the forward and after ends of the KILO kit goes together:

Name:	DSCF7220.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	158152

Name:	DSCF7219.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	158153

Name:	DSCF8414.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	158154

Name:	DSCF8410.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	158155

David
                            David,

Thank you for the photos, and the information on the Blueback kit.

Name:	Kilo Hull 1.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	158158Click image for larger version

Name:	Kilo Hull 2.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	158159

Photos above are before, or how the Kilo kit came to me.

Name:	Kilo Hull Joint 3.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	158160Click image for larger version

Name:	Kilo Hull Joint 2.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	158161

Name:	Kilo Hull Joint 1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	158162

The photos above show what I was able to get done today. I guess I am making head way!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

I also drilled the pilot holes for the hull bottom vents. I just need to file them to the correct rectangular shape!

Name:	Kilo Hull Holes 1.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	158164

Rob

Comment

Working...