X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by cgbillb
    Bob, Do you know when we will be getting our WTC.
    Rob beware that you have to cut out two bulkheads to install the WTC from the rear, as the manual states.
    Bill
    Athens Ga.
    No problem Bill,

When you have a quality product to start with, modifications won't be a problem. Besides no one ever said RC submarine building was going to be easy. It's the mind boggling, and what in the hell do I do now that make our hobby so great! Love the challenges, and most of all I appreciate the good people on this forum that you can reach out to for help when needed!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Schmitty1944
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Mar 2021

I'm curious what specifically have people found to be a problem with the Ark Model WTC?

Jason

Comment

• type7
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Apr 2009

Since you asked, here is the wtc with some mods before I gave up and ordered the RTR cylinder. Looks nice with injection molded parts, metal piston tank and comes with a manual in Chinese with images to show you how it goes together. What's wrong with it? To sum it up it looks to me like someone came up with a nice looking concept and it went straight to mass production without prototyping and review.

To begin with, it is designed so the entire sub has to be taken apart, and then the cylinder opened up, by unthreading 3 rods with locknuts to service the battery. To charge the battery you are supposed to connect a cable to the front bulkhead and charge it in a sealed wtc.
        I modified it to attach the rear part of the cylinder to the rear of the sub so it comes apart when the aft end of the sub is pulled without having to unthread the cylinder and I put the battery in the bottom aft end.

Next, there is so much wasted space that the piston tank is way undersized, needs to be at least twice as big, maybe 3 times because the diameter of the wtc is so large not all of it is below the surfaced waterline.

Finally, the piston tank doesn't work with water in it. Works fine on the bench in air. The inside of the tank is a little rough so they put a very viscous lubricant in it. Also, the piston, at end of travel, seals up tight to the end of the tank without any relief so the motor is not strong enough to retract it. And yes, it is a cheap chinese motor attached to the gear reduction and the whole thing has to be totally taken apart to be replaced.
        I was going to shift things around and make up a new, larger piston tank for but why bother?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211229_213710_resize.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	157436Click image for larger version

Name:	20211229_213612_resize.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	157438Click image for larger version

Name:	20211229_215559_resize.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	157439Click image for larger version

Name:	20211229_215612_resize.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	157440Click image for larger version

Views:	268
ID:	157437Click image for larger version

Name:	20211229_213625_resize.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	157434
        Attached Files

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by type7

Since you asked, here is the wtc with some mods before I gave up and ordered the RTR cylinder. Looks nice with injection molded parts, metal piston tank and comes with a manual in Chinese with images to show you how it goes together. What's wrong with it? To sum it up it looks to me like someone came up with a nice looking concept and it went straight to mass production without prototyping and review.

To begin with, it is designed so the entire sub has to be taken apart, and then the cylinder opened up, by unthreading 3 rods with locknuts to service the battery. To charge the battery you are supposed to connect a cable to the front bulkhead and charge it in a sealed wtc.
          I modified it to attach the rear part of the cylinder to the rear of the sub so it comes apart when the aft end of the sub is pulled without having to unthread the cylinder and I put the battery in the bottom aft end.

Next, there is so much wasted space that the piston tank is way undersized, needs to be at least twice as big, maybe 3 times because the diameter of the wtc is so large not all of it is below the surfaced waterline.

Finally, the piston tank doesn't work with water in it. Works fine on the bench in air. The inside of the tank is a little rough so they put a very viscous lubricant in it. Also, the piston, at end of travel, seals up tight to the end of the tank without any relief so the motor is not strong enough to retract it. And yes, it is a cheap chinese motor attached to the gear reduction and the whole thing has to be totally taken apart to be replaced.
          I was going to shift things around and make up a new, larger piston tank for but why bother?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211229_213710_resize.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	157436Click image for larger version

Views:	256
ID:	157438Click image for larger version

Name:	20211229_215559_resize.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	157439Click image for larger version

Name:	20211229_215612_resize.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	157440Click image for larger version

Views:	268
ID:	157437Click image for larger version

Name:	20211229_213625_resize.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	157434
          Hi Bob,

Thank you for your input and the photos. You certainly had firsthand knowledge on this subject! After seeing the photos of that WTC, I am sure happy I did not fall prey to!

Rob

Comment

• Schmitty1944
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Mar 2021

I see, Thanks for the photos. One thing I can see wrong with it is that it uses threaded rods that penetrate the end caps and require their own seals but it does not use an end cap seal that compresses as you tighten the nuts (Like OTW, thunder tiger or I think Bobs new sub driver). Instead it uses an o-ring that is squeezed into the tube, which can still work okay. Just not optimal.

Jason

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

After going over all that has been said about the ARKMODEL Type VII 1:48 scale kit using the piston tank system that comes with this kit, I would like to back away from this blog about this kit to start a build blog on the ARKMODEL Type VII!

Rob

Comment

Working...