Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
    Cleaned the board. Ran setup a dozen+ times again, same result. Does not pitch stern plane servo up or down when tilting the works up or down.

I was holding the button too long. So now zero bubble is set and the sensitivity is set to 3.

So I was not using the ballast fail safe the last 10ish years. Result is lost the boat for 7-8 months back in 2018-19. Luckily got it back. Shame on me. Now I setup the fail safe and something else gets screwed up. Should have not screwed with it. Ugh.
    He's dead, Jim.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

Noooooo Bones!!!!!!

We have the Genesis device! (Kevin M!!)

Comment

• Ken_NJ
        Captain
        • Sep 2014

All fixed. Kevin talked me through it. Evidently I was not holding the electronics tray/ADF2 perfectly vertical pointing at the ceiling. Once I did that it worked fine. Kevin said that trips up lots of people.

Now to test fail safe. Live and learn. Noted (reinforced) in my notes on the ADF2 procedure.
        Last edited by Ken_NJ; 12-13-2021, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
          Captain
          • Sep 2014

Back to my original problem. I never got this working on the Marlin. Here's a video about it. I can fill the reservoirs in the two subjects I have, but when the nipple is pressed to release propellant, not much happens on one of them. The other one releases a tiny tiny amount but not enough. Am I doing something wrong? Or is me not the problem?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Ken,
            Fill and empty cylinder. This will pre-chill the reservoir, then fill it a second time. Whnen I vent from not needing to use the gas, I get a lot more out than you do. Not sure if this is the issue with yours or not. As far as the one that does not work have you taken the stem out and replaced?
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Back to my original problem. I never got this working on the Marlin. Here's a video about it. I can fill the reservoirs in the two subjects I have, but when the nipple is pressed to release propellant, not much happens on one of them. The other one releases a tiny tiny amount but not enough. Am I doing something wrong? Or is me not the problem?

Your first WTC likely has a fouled restrictor (that pinch at the bottle nipple). Remove the bottle and attached blow valve and run a .014" drill bit through the nipple to clear the clog. Charge the bottle and let it discharge through the nipple. Make up the hose-blow valve, charge the bottle and check for a discharge when you press the blow valve stem. If it works install the bottle and test as a sub-system.

Your second WTC SHOULD discharge through the blow-valve slowly -- that's what the restrictor is for.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

Will try that double fill Tom, thanks.

David, I removed the bottle and valve from the first one. I suspect the joint at the yellow arrow should be solid? That barrel and the 90 degree tube is loose and the barrel spins around.

Can the plastic tubing be removed from the fitting at the black arrow so I can send that .014 bit thru? Is that tube pressed in?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4447.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	162581

Comment

• Aug 2008

Will try that double fill Tom, thanks.

David, I removed the bottle and valve from the first one. I suspect the joint at the yellow arrow should be solid? That barrel and the 90 degree tube is loose and the barrel spins around.

Can the plastic tubing be removed from the fitting at the black arrow so I can send that .014 bit thru? Is that tube pressed in?

Name:	IMG_4447.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	162581
                  Good catch. Yes, that 'L' shaped brass tube should be soldered to the blow-valve body -- it obviously broke. Yank out the core valve, clean the brass tube and valve body to bright, and re-solder.

That's an old-style blow assembly with the restrictor in the middle of the flexible hose. Just pull those retaining hose collars away the flexible hoses are just press-fits to the nipples. That will give you access to bore out the restrictor with that small drill bit. Re-assemble, charge, hold underwater and look for leaks and proper operation of the blow-valve.

Good sleuthing, Ken!

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2014

Soldered that elbow. Taking the tube off of the elbow, the grommet went flying. Took a few minutes to figure the elbow was a really tight fit over the tubing.

I hate working with these tiny drill bits. Could not make any progress drilling it out. Will hammer away at it. Unless there is another way to open up the restriction.

Name:	C6DAF125-0619-4AC9-84E5-06FEB4B725CC.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	162586

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

Working on making a new restrictor tube instead of screwing up a micro size drill bit. Not sure how I am going to get a tiny passage thru it yet.
                      Last edited by Ken_NJ; 06-28-2022, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                        Captain
                        • Feb 2019

Consider:
                        1.using a solid brass rod that fits the inside diameter of the tube that you are using. slice off a piece of rod, Chuck that chuck in a drill press and drill thru the rod ( I would fit that tiny checker of brass rod into a hole drilled into flat brass stock and glue with CA for easy clamping...drill your hole, then soak in acetone for 1/2 hour and it will come right apart...then epoxy or CA the plug into the tube (don't want to foul the tiny hole with capillaried solder) and reassemble.... OR
                        2. just crimp the tube like DM does/did....OR
                        3. plug the tube with a dab of epoxy or JB weld and drill thru that to make your expansion valve/restrictor( much easier drilling)

Remember its not a Rolex-you just need to slow down the rush of gas so it will expand without freezing up or dumping the whole load at once. You Got this Ken -BG
                        Last edited by Bob Gato; 06-28-2022, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Bob Gato
                          Consider:
                          1.using a solid brass rod that fits the inside diameter of the tube that you are using. slice off a piece of rod, Chuck that chuck in a drill press and drill thru the rod ( I would fit that tiny checker of brass rod into a hole drilled into flat brass stock and glue with CA for easy clamping...drill your hole, then soak in acetone for 1/2 hour and it will come right apart...then epoxy or CA the plug into the tube (don't want to foul the tiny hole with capillaried solder) and reassemble.... OR
                          2. just crimp the tube like DM does/did....OR
                          3. plug the tube with a dab of epoxy or JB weld and drill thru that to make your expansion valve/restrictor( much easier drilling)

Remember its not a Rolex-you just need to slow down the rush of gas so it will expand without freezing up or dumping the whole load at once. You Got this Ken -BG
                          Bob's right on the money with #2.

Ken! You Herman Munster looking, anal-retentive goofball!... take a short length of 3/32" diameter brass tube, anneal it, then squish it in the middle with rosary pliers. Done!

You people!

David
                          The Horrible
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...