X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Failsafe help

Need some help. When I invert the airbrush can and apply to the schrader valve, the liquid spews forth between the canned air valve and the value on the SD. Nothing gets into the pressure container. The valve on the pressure container seems OK. I'm guessing the canned air valve is not able to press down far enough on the schrader valve and not filling the pressure container.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3893.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	156657
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Is the core-valve atop the emg. gas bottle jammed?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

It doesn't take much gas to pressurize that little capsule-are you absolutely certain that there is no pressure fighting the liquid gas fill-80psi of gas on the inside and 80psi of liquid on the outside trying to get in and it wont happen

Comment

• Das Boot
        Rear Admiral
        • Dec 2019

Touch the valve with a pen. If nothing comes out, go get a new valve and replace. Try again.
        Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• wlambing
          Commander
          • Nov 2020

Ken,

You need to put a tire valve stem extension on the Shrader in the WTC. Your can nozzle is not seating because it bottoms out before the seal in the nozzle can seat. I've used one for charging for years. A couple of bucks for 4 at the local auto store should fix you right up!

Comment

• Ken_NJ
            Captain
            • Sep 2014

Had bit of CF's going on here. All resolved!!!

I knew I had a second filler valve around, found it in a toolbox. I tried both valves on a broken SD that David replaced for me. They both worked OK. Then tried then on the Marlin SD. Both worked OK. Must have been my technique. But in doing so I just touched the manifold next door and it just plopped off. Can the coldness of the propellant cause the CA glue to give way? I sanded the surfaces down and glued the manifold back into place. When David sent me the replacement SD he inadvertently left the rubber plug in place to glue\locate the manifold, so I had that to help. It pays not to throw anything out!

Next to water test this SD. But now I need to run to the store and pick up more propellant as now I'm out. And will pick up an extender like Bill mentioned. Trying to get this done for an event I'm going to on Sunday out in Shrewsbury PA.

Name:	IMG_3894.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	156677

Old broken SD on top.

Name:	IMG_3895.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	156676

Manifold with locator plug

Name:	IMG_3896.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	156679

Attached Files

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

One other thing, the Marlin SD, once filled with propellant, leaked. So I cut brass tubing to fit the schrader valve so I can tighten it up.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                Captain
                • Feb 2019

CA glue is great in tension as seen on TV(the guy with the hardhat glued to the beam) but not so good in shear load (I use it to hold pieces of metal together for drilling-then a knock with a small hammer and they shear apart) I do believe that as the plastic shrank unevenly it could have sheared itself off.

Name:	shopping.png
Views:	279
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	156683 $1.98 amazon

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

I used RTV to mount my manifold when I did the same thing you did.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2014

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to do this.

Next time Bob and Tom I'll try RTV. Hopefully there is no next time.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

Now that I think I can fill the emergency gas bottle I ran thru the ADF2 setup. I did zero-bubble OK, pitch control OK and ballast failsafe OK. The green and red LED's all indicate OK. The failsafe servo moves OK. But now the stern planes are not responding when I tilt the SD. They do move when I move CH6 pot on the transmitter.

For pitch control setup, 2 blink green - neutral on stern planes, 3 blink green - rise command stern planes, 4 blink green - aim SD\ADF2 at the ceiling. After exiting setup the stern planes are not moving when I tilt the SD but they move when I manually adjust them from the transmitter.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

David, any ideas on the pitch planes not working?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
                          Now that I think I can fill the emergency gas bottle I ran thru the ADF2 setup. I did zero-bubble OK, pitch control OK and ballast failsafe OK. The green and red LED's all indicate OK. The failsafe servo moves OK. But now the stern planes are not responding when I tilt the SD. They do move when I move CH6 pot on the transmitter.

For pitch control setup, 2 blink green - neutral on stern planes, 3 blink green - rise command stern planes, 4 blink green - aim SD\ADF2 at the ceiling. After exiting setup the stern planes are not moving when I tilt the SD but they move when I manually adjust them from the transmitter.
                          Yeah, you got the pitch start-up protocol right. Is that ADF2 the one that was aboard during that year-long site on the bottom of the marina? If so, take off the heat-shrink and scrub the PCB till all solder points are shiny. Then go through the set-up again.

Also, after set-up, did you 'zero' the stern planes with the 'less than one-second' push of the magic button?

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2014

Cleaned the board. Ran setup a dozen+ times again, same result. Does not pitch stern plane servo up or down when tilting the works up or down.

I was holding the button too long. So now zero bubble is set and the sensitivity is set to 3.

So I was not using the ballast fail safe the last 10ish years. Result is lost the boat for 7-8 months back in 2018-19. Luckily got it back. Shame on me. Now I setup the fail safe and something else gets screwed up. Should have not screwed with it. Ugh.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2014

If it helps here's a video

and another

Comment

Working...