X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

Am I Insane?

Who else cuts almost perfect square ballast grates on the bottom of their sub that no one will see? I know some that do, but of all the boats at our regatta, I never looked. Why not just drill round holes and be done? It’s a damn crazy being anal.
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

One thing comes to mind--- OCD

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_2865.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.6 KB ID:	154015
      just drilled those out on my Kilo.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
        Who else cuts almost perfect square ballast grates on the bottom of their sub that no one will see? I know some that do, but of all the boats at our regatta, I never looked. Why not just drill round holes and be done? It’s a damn crazy being anal.
        Why not get rid of sand paper, files, measuring tools, and reference material. Why not have a robot do all your work? Why not hire someone good at the sticks to drive your model? Why not sit at home with virtual goggles on and let the computer entertain you? Why get out of bed? Why breath or look at a beautiful sun-set?

Being anal means you appreciate and enjoy precision; you seek the clarity and satisfaction of a job well done -- traits quickly being lost to the world these days.

We are so totally reliant on electricity now. What happens when the electrons stop flowing? Once the Crafts are lost to us we are doomed.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KumaDog
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Sep 2021

I have to agree with David( OH this hurts...), but when I'm snowed in, the tractor won't start and the snowblower has broken it's shear pin, together with the handle on the shovel, and I can to get to the store for another bottle of Rum, I have to entertain myself somehow.

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

I wouldn’t have it any other way. I was poking the bear, and he came out. Just got done with my 1/96. I am OCD, though. Click image for larger version  Name:	DBA5B6BC-7007-47D6-8AE9-2AB4BFC1EB61.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	74.8 KB ID:	154024

Comment

• Aug 2008

I wouldn’t have it any other way. I was poking the bear, and he came out. Just got done with my 1/96. I am OCD, though. Click image for larger version Name:	DBA5B6BC-7007-47D6-8AE9-2AB4BFC1EB61.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	74.8 KB ID:	154024
              Not a bad job, Casey. Keep at it, pal (I'll deal with you later!).

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                Captain
                • Dec 2019

I just drilled the drainage holes in the bottom of my Columbia based on the most recent information I could find on it. Did you not look at the bottom of it at Subfest? Sheesh... I have great respect for rivet counters, I am just not one of them. ;o)

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Cann't speak to whether you are insane or not (LOL), but I have seen some put holes in the bottom. As much as I dislike filing, if I can have a reasonable accurate representation, that is what I will do. I have yet to have anyone look under my subs.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• SubDude
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2019

This makes me want to 3D print some nads to dangle under my subs.

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

One of these makes work 100% easier. It’s a Merriman special.Click image for larger version

Name:	995E29E5-9048-40EE-9D26-2AF0FF91E971.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	154039

Comment

• Aug 2008

Punching out holes in ABS, styrene, GRP, wood, or whatever is the same: you loft the shape and location from plan to model and mark with a scribed or inked line; select the proper drill, mill, or burr and punch out a hole undersized to the mark; refine to the mark with file; and conclude with a sanding stick.

Innovate!

Ain't that hard.

David
                        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 10-05-2021, 03:32 PM.
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Innovate!

Ain't that hard.

David
                          Innovate he says (now let us get the bear going) - Make a hole bigger than you need and......3D print your grates to fit in. (ducking the bear claw)
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

What’s the idea of the putty over the grate holes?

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

I used this to refine and sharpen my corners and try to hide my many mistakes.

Comment

Working...