Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scott T
    Commander
    • May 2009

You mentioned the problems of moving weight to balance the boat. You could change the movement of air to the movement of water in the syringe. Place the syringe in a air chamber then pump the water fore and aft to change the weight balance. I did not know air does not move the mechanism equally. Thanks for the information both of you. Moving a fluid seems easier to do than move a weight. Battery, lead, etc. Maybe the pump could be managed by a leveler circuit.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
      Captain
      • Apr 2020

Due to the complexities of the trimming of this boat project during these various changing operational conditions, I think I’ve settled on automating much of these trim functions through an automation system with manual overrides. Meaning the boat will have manual inputs on depth, angle and direction controls as well as heading keeping. But much less messing with the sticks and more focus on the attach solution. Well that’s the plan at least

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Scott T
        Moving a fluid seems easier to do than move a weight. Battery, lead, etc.
        Have you tried it?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

Wow I write some gibberish in the evenings right before heading off to bed. Haha

Andy,

Are you familiar with John Dutton’s work with his scratch built twin piston tank ballast system managed with Arduino?

I stumbled across his youtube channel a year or more ago while researching different ballast systems. I only scratched the surface of his many well done and really informative video posts back then.

After our exchange in this thread about ballast systems, you sparked my interest in twin piston tanks again given the degree of fine adjustments with a system like that. Down the rabbit hole of research I went again. Haha

The other day I ran across John’s YouTube channel again but this time watched many of his videos and visited his website for the first time. IMO he has accomplished some amazing work. Sadly I also just learned of his passing not too long ago.

His work on his twin piston tank system incorporating Arduino is now the the prime motivation for wanting to explore a scratch built system like his for the type 7 project. Although complex, I feel it would be a great learning experience and also provide a lot of control over trim adjustments that I have been seeking with this particular build.

Thank you for sharing the great information you have, and for sparking my interest in a twin piston tank system you posted about early on in this thread.

Nick

A link to John’s video overview of how his clever system works:

An overview of the boat and a summary of the principles and innovations that get this boat working

Comment

• Scott T
            Commander
            • May 2009

Nope I have not used this to balance a boat.

Comment

Working...