X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Honoring our Veterans!

To all VETERANS who have served in our military and those that are in service at this time! And if it is not out of place to give thanks to all our First Responders and our Doctors & Nurses who have worked hard during this Pandemic! "A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU ALL"

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat" (Go Navy)

• SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

Thank you all for your service, then, now and going forward.

Comment

• CC Clarke
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Aug 2020

Thank you so much! I've received two-dozen emails from my co-workers in the last two days and they make even the not-so-enjoyable aspects of my Navy time, (all spent aboard boats -except for school) worth it. It's my second-favorite holiday, but they really go overboard with appreciation where I work with a catered, sit-down breakfast for all of the vets (with the exception of this year for obvious reasons.)

While I was in, (joined right after Vietnam) many of the public treated us as second-class citizens and it was very conflicting. I remember emerging after a really long submerged deployment and heading straight to the airport when the brow was secured. While I was waiting for my flight, a woman asked me to carry her bags, thinking I was a Skycap or something. And then there were the Hari Krishna's @ LAX that would mob you, trying to guilt you into buying one of their books. I ultimately quit wearing my uniform in public, much to my Father's chagrin (he was a war hero of the first order.)

It took a nearly bloodless war, (on our side anyway) for the public as a whole to finally appreciate those who serve them and it's gotten steadily better ever since. As submariners, we never received (or expected) any recognition; all of our exploits were conducted low-key, and the best stories have never come to light. For us , it was all about not letting our shipmates down and honoring those hardy souls who came before us, setting the high standards that still exist today.

The appreciation we receive humbles all of us. Thanks again!

CC

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by CC Clarke
        Thank you so much! I've received two-dozen emails from my co-workers in the last two days and they make even the not-so-enjoyable aspects of my Navy time, (all spent aboard boats -except for school) worth it. It's my second-favorite holiday, but they really go overboard with appreciation where I work with a catered, sit-down breakfast for all of the vets (with the exception of this year for obvious reasons.)

While I was in, (joined right after Vietnam) many of the public treated us as second-class citizens and it was very conflicting. I remember emerging after a really long submerged deployment and heading straight to the airport when the brow was secured. While I was waiting for my flight, a woman asked me to carry her bags, thinking I was a Skycap or something. And then there were the Hari Krishna's @ LAX that would mob you, trying to guilt you into buying one of their books. I ultimately quit wearing my uniform in public, much to my Father's chagrin (he was a war hero of the first order.)

It took a nearly bloodless war, (on our side anyway) for the public as a whole to finally appreciate those who serve them and it's gotten steadily better ever since. As submariners, we never received (or expected) any recognition; all of our exploits were conducted low-key, and the best stories have never come to light. For us , it was all about not letting our shipmates down and honoring those hardy souls who came before us, setting the high standards that still exist today.

The appreciation we receive humbles all of us. Thanks again!

CC
        CC! You are very welcome, and thanks again for your service!

I had one tour in Vietnam with the "Brown Water Navy" Came home to the same results you did! Like nothing ever happened!! Long time ago! We do move on, but always remember!

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

Working...