X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Magnetic Plane Connectors

Bob is working on a submarine from the movie League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the Nautilus.
    In the discussion, there was mention of narrow hull (I was not careful in reading) and thought that was why he was not going to put some planes in. That got my mind cranking (lots of clattering and noises to get it started - LOL), but I though of magnets.
    Here was the Crayon drawing:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_42654.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	139357

Then I went to Fusion360 and drew out my idea.

Name:	Magnetic Plane Connector 00.png
Views:	158
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	139358

Then printed it to test.

Name:	Magnetic Plane Connector 05.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	139359 And assembled

Name:	Magnetic Plane Connector 01.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	139360Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnetic Plane Connector 02.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	139361Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnetic Plane Connector 03.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	139362

I like this enough to try it on a boat. The hold is better than I thought, however as I was drawing this out I put in a semi circle lip the would minimize slippage. In this prototype it is too small to be effective, but I can expand it if needed.

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

I like it a lot, and provided there is not a lot of binding in the control surfaces, this should work well. If there is a significant amount of resistance, however, the magnets will quite easily pull out of alignment and pop free. The lateral force they exert is nowhere near what they can exert in a direct line.

If you've got a limited area to work in, this could be the ticket.

Nice work.

Bob

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Bob, Thank you. I put a semi circle (which is not big enough on this iteration) that is on the pushrod. It will "hold" that lateral sliding if there is a resistance. I will modify this one to test out. That being said, there is a lot of attraction as it is - surprisingly.
      Peace,
      Tom
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Tom,

What material are you using to fabricate the control horns on this set-up! WOW! Your the man, it looks great!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat" (A prayer today for LA Firemen)

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Rob, this was printed on a Formlabs Form3 using their grey photopolymer. Thanks! When I get a thought in my head, I just have to wrestle through with it. It it helps someone, yeah!

Comment

Working...