X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

What is the MOST Secure way to water proof a servos itself

I am coming up to a point in a build that I would like to have a pair of micro MG90 servos in free flood space. What is the MOST consistent way to water proof the servos so they can work at about 2-3 foot depth of fresh water? I know there is nothing 100%. I also know there have have been a few ways posted to do this. What is the More commonly used method?
    If there is a video OR detail posting, can you include a link please.

Thanks
    George
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Place them in a watertight enclosure.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

MG90's at a $1.34 a piece? That's what I got 10 of them for.

Who cares? Replace as required.

FWIW, Bob has an excellent video on waterproofing Servo's. How to make a TRUE waterproof servo!

BTW, this IS the future...$20

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200219_183257.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	136833

All that will be needed in a waterproof compartment is non-waterproof electronics.

Receiver.
      Auto Pitch Control
      BEC
      Possibly an ESC.

Fit it all in a waterproof cigarette box.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

BTW, I do understand IP67 is water resistant...NOT waterproof:

The IP Code, or Ingress Protection code, IEC standard 60529, sometimes interpreted as International Protection marketing, classifies and rates the degree of protection provided by mechanical casings and electrical enclosures against intrusion, dust, accidental contact, and water. It is published by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). The equivalent European standard is EN 60529. (Wikipedia)

First digit: Solid particle protection
        6 Dust-tight No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust-tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on airflow.

Second digit: Liquid ingress protection
        7 Immersion, up to 1 meter (3 ft 3 in) depth Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 meter (3 ft 3 in) of submersion). Test duration: 30 minutes.[2]
        Tested with the lowest point of the enclosure 1,000 mm (39 in) below the surface of the water, or the highest point 150 mm (5.9 in) below the surface, whichever is deeper.

I plan on adding CorrosionX HEAVY DUTY liquid to the inernal cavity only because I have it. But Bob's Mineral or Olive oil recommendations is fine as well.

Even without it I bet this will last 2 or 3 seasons. In all fairness, I'm one of those quirky 2.4Ghz limited to PD pansies anyway.

I have four on the SSN-722, so $80 every three years won't kill me, considering what most folk spend on cigarettes or booze as a thing, my "thing" is cheap.
        v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

Ed is spot on -save that valuable dry real estate for something important-the only thing I could add is if possible mount the servos with the output shaft (Weak link for H2O incursion) facing down (like a mini diving bell)-the electronics are in the bottom of the servo (now the top) and should any water get in, the oil will "float" on those few drops and never get past the plastic gears. Also any water will tend to want to leave after the sub has been drydocked.
          Last edited by Bob Gato; 02-20-2020, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• Rick Teskey
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jan 2009

Hi George
            Did you finish alfa project you asked me about wtc dimensions seals hose etc way back when you and Brad went too indy?

Comment

• george
              Captain
              • Dec 2010

Much later after that. Then managed to drop it and fix it. Also had a crap load of health issues 5x surgeries and LONG recoveries from each. Just getting back into it this past 2 years. What have you been doing? Last I remember was your proteus and flying sub. Mind you after the sleepy drugs for surgery, I lost some memories also.

Comment

• george
                Captain
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
                MG90's at a $1.34 a piece? That's what I got 10 of them for.

Who cares? Replace as required.

FWIW, Bob has an excellent video on waterproofing Servo's. How to make a TRUE waterproof servo!

BTW, this IS the future...$20

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200219_183257.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	136833

All that will be needed in a waterproof compartment is non-waterproof electronics.

Receiver.
                Auto Pitch Control
                BEC
                Possibly an ESC.

Fit it all in a waterproof cigarette box.
                Tried your link but it does not work

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Sep 2015

Originally posted by george

Tried your link but it does not work
                  My bad, I usually test them. This works:

How to make a TRUE waterproof servo!

v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• george
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

My bad, I usually test them. This works:

How to make a TRUE waterproof servo!
                    The link works perfectly.!
                    Thanks Very informative.

Comment

Working...