X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

Should Photo Etch detail items be used on R.C diving Subs

I was wondering if photo etch detail gun and other parts should be used on R.C diving submarines? Will they remain attached OR gone when you resurface and go back to shore. I was wondering if they are worth putting on a WWII submarine and will they stay attached without any collisions.
    If they can survive, how are they attached and with what?

Thanks, was wondering.
    George
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
    I was wondering if photo etch detail gun and other parts should be used on R.C diving submarines? Will they remain attached OR gone when you resurface and go back to shore. I was wondering if they are worth putting on a WWII submarine and will they stay attached without any collisions.
    If they can survive, how are they attached and with what?

Thanks, was wondering.
    George
    Yes.

CA.

Duh!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

PE can add a lot of detail. One big issue can be the different rates of expansion of two materials if you get your boat hot, resulting in a cracked paint finish between the two mating surfaces.

I find that PE decks are very durable. Watch things like PE deck guns and railings as they won't have the strength of plastic parts (which are typically modeled slightly thicker than scale for strength).

I also recommend that you pickle the brass parts in acid prior to painting. I've seen tons of boats with bright brass exposed after a rub or bump. You need to corrode that surface in order for paint to adhere properly.

Comment

• george
        Captain
        • Dec 2010

Thanks for the tips. I was wondering about deck guns and fittings detailing for my Type VII and IX. Was not sure if they would hold up to a normal run in the water or would be replacing bits after a few runs.

Comment

Working...