Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

As you said earlier, Andy, I think the most vital issue facing our hobby right now is the lack of new blood and aging current owner population.

The new generation does not have the patience or skillsets for building things with their hands. The only way this hobby will grow is for it to evolve into the RC airplane/car business model of low cost, pre-assembled, pre-painted models.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
      As you said earlier, Andy, I think the most vital issue facing our hobby right now is the lack of new blood and aging current owner population.

The new generation does not have the patience or skillsets for building things with their hands. The only way this hobby will grow is for it to evolve into the RC airplane/car business model of low cost, pre-assembled, pre-painted models.
      … at which point it stops being a hobby and transitions into disposable consumer product. I've lived too long.

David
      Buggy-Whip Maker
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SubHuman
        low cost, pre-assembled, pre-painted models.
        Also known as secondhand R/C subs. Which is where many if not most of the younger members are entering the hobby, picking them up off ebay, club sales etc. They tend to need a bit of fixing up and recommissioning, maybe a fresh coat of paint.

Ebay do all right out of it I guess, not much business for anyone selling newer stuff, although some do go on towards refitting with newer components or building a kit down the line.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

A reprieve! I managed to source and secure another 50 VEX radios. Paid an arm and a leg for them, but we're in "beggars and choosers" mode now. At least demand will be able to be fulfilled for the time-being. I've adjusted pricing on my site to reflect higher costs, lower supply and increased demand. That will also help people from hoarding radios just 'cause.

Still working with WFLY and waiting for word back from Futaba. I hate the idea of being limited to periscope depth, despite Ed's superb defense of his decision to go that route. People will see videos of our boats playing under the crystal clear water in a swimming pool and cry real tears when we tell them they can't have that, too....

Work continues.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ed has done a great job of conditioning us to the reality of a world without the r/c systems that permit deep operation in fresh water. It's like a stab in the belly -- but he's done a fine job of not only identifying the problem, but coming up with viable alternatives. And for that, I'm grateful for his many inputs on the subject. It's one thing to offer a critique, its another to come up with fixes for the problems identified. Good work, Ed, you bum!

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Bob,
              Even if we could get crystals for the transmitters we have, that would be cool too! Or sourcing a crystal-less module that could fit in wFly radios, That would be a boon!
              Thank you for hunting down sources.
              Peace,
              Tom
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

… at which point it stops being a hobby and transitions into disposable consumer product. I've lived too long.

David
                Buggy-Whip Maker
                As the OOD would say to us all those years ago......."I concur Petty Officer Merriman".

I WILL adapt, but I will NOT submit.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                  Lieutenant
                  • Nov 2018

Quartermaster of the watch! What is our current position!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Stephen Vick
                    "Officer of the Deck, we are One Five hundred yards to the right of track, 15 minutes ahead of PIM (Position of Intended Movement), recommend your CDM (Counter Detection Maneuver AKA clear baffles AKA Crazy IVAN) be to the left sir"

"Very well Quartermaster, I concur, my intention is to do a standard "S" turn.....On the helm, Left 10 degrees rudder, A/A 2/3rds, steady Zero Three Zero"

"Left 10 degrees rudder, A/A 2/3rds, steady Zero Three Zero, Helm aye!" (Annunciator goes "Ring Ring" as the Bell is ordered...)

"Maneuvering-Conn, make turns for 6 knots"

"Make turns for 6 knots, Conn-Maneuvering Aye"

I could stand QMOW today if I had to lol!
                    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                      Lieutenant
                      • Nov 2018

Feels like yesterday it was "Green Well" at the con of LCU 1648 docking with USS Denver. Or standing QMOW aboard Decatur. Those memories never fade.... Once a sailor always a sailor, QM's doubly so!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Stephen Vick
                        Oh, great! Two NavaGuessers at the DR plot, working decades old charts. Now we'll never get home!!!!! ****!

Famous last words from NavCenter: "What seamount?! This tracks fine, Conn".
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Stephen Vick
                          Lieutenant
                          • Nov 2018

I cant retort with anything bad about TM's … My Dad was a TM ! Two QM's who made it to retirement, must have done something right... We've been replaced by computers anyway. Go figure we've had such a rash of groundings and collisions lately.

Comment

Working...