X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Mine! All Mine!

I know someone will cringe at the thought of a 3D printed anything, but I wanted some mines for an aquarium redesign I am thinking of with a Type VII submarine.
    There were a couple of mines at Thingiverse, and I modeled my mine after one of them. I wanted mine to float so it is hollow. It is not the most accurate, but fun to put together. If anyone has plans of a real WWII mine, I sure would like a copy.

Here it is out of the printer (upside down)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Mine.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	135186
    Here it is removed. I broke a couple of prongs off the mine by carelessly removing the sprues.

Name:	mine_removed.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	135187

If you want the stl file, post here and I will be glad to share it.

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Nice!

Reminds me......

Back in the day (what day?), a fellow named Joe Brandt ran his 32nd Parallel Type VIIC with us out here on "Lawn-guyland", use to come to every Groton Regatta until '01. In the late 90's, Sub Eddie (the boy) and I rode up with him one time to a private seller where he picked up another 32nd Parallel Type VII.

The plan was to lengthen it a foot(?) and finish off as a Type VIID of course. With the capability of laying mines!.

He got as far as cutting the hull, and I think laying up the section, but not installing it yet.

The story goes him and his wife had a baby, and the moment she smelled the fumes rising from the basement during the layup, ALL fabrication was put on hold. Sad. Not the baby part of course!

We reach out to Joe from time to time to get him back aboard. He say's he will, but right now prefers exercising his 2nd Amendment by throwing lead down range with his Mosin–Nagant

Anyhoo....

Again nice print, what printer?

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

That would make a great emergency come find me buoy...how much line do you think you could get inside it?
      Last edited by Bob Gato; 12-05-2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

It is a Formlab Form 3 printer.
        no idea on how much, depends on diameter of thread.

i am currently re-doing the mine to be a German accuratish (that is sorta accurate for you word police) mine. I will use images and drawings. I believe they are 44” in diameter in 1/72 scale that would be .61 inches. Although once done I can make it in several scales.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Name:	New_Mine_Design.png
Views:	195
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	135228

Newest version, how does it look?
          I am going to print this up and see how it comes out.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

I went through a couple of revisions. Went for accurate.

Name:	Mine_early.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	135607
            The pins on it were/are very delicate and were not Hollywood enough for me.
            So, I made this one:

Name:	Mine_Final.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	135608

I will stick with this one. The larger pins show up better and offer a stronger resistance to my clumsy handling. The plug will sit in the bottom of the mine and be tied to a cable or fish line or chain. This gets CA'd together sealing the air in the mine.

The older set has been/is being water testing and so far the absorption of water is about 4%. Still floats and does not loose any properties that I can tell. I will paint some and test again.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Bob Gato
              Captain
              • Feb 2019

Tom the version 2.0 looks awesome! Its like you've done this before-just a thought, you said for use in the aquarium...if they're big$$ fish, you might want to check for poisons in the plastic/glue on the internet. (or just get one of those canary mine fish)

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bob Gato
                (or just get one of those canary mine fish)
                Hahaha, I’ll look into that fish!
                the mines will be painted with Krylon fusion paint. It is aquarium safe. We will see how it goes, I will contact the company and ask about the plastic.

Comment

Working...