Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
    Question about Bow planes support rods. I think the norm is to use 1/8" brass here in the West. Anyone have running experience with these? I was wondering IF because they are exposed with no support like the stern planes have. Has there been cases of shafts being bent while in normal use? IF so that would call for a thicker shaft if the bow planes are to be retractable and be able to be pivoting.
    Your thoughts?
    On this little 1/96 ALFA the 1/16" diameter brass bow plane operating shafts are the sacrificial element in a collision or rough handling. It's nothing to yank out the bent operating shaft (or, more likely, just bend it back) from the bow plane and replace it. The bow plane operating shaft bearing (a short length of 3/32" o.d. brass tube) is glued within the hull -- and that ain't bending!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
      Captain
      • Dec 2010

Thank You for the lesson. Can I ask you about the last picture above? I see two little brass rod stubs, one at each bow plan, what is their function?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thank You for the lesson. Can I ask you about the last picture above? I see two little brass rod stubs, one at each bow plan, what is their function?
        Those are the bow plane operating shaft magnetic bell-cranks. I talked them up in a recent WIP. You have been following those posts, right?

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
          Captain
          • Dec 2010

I thought the cranks were on the inside of the hull.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I thought the cranks were on the inside of the hull.
            Oh! I miss understood you, George.

Those 'stubs' -- ends of temporary, long operating shafts -- are artifacts of how I assured a parallel orientation between the two operating shaft bearings while they were being glued within the hull. Once the bearings were in the operating shafts were shortened and the holes where they projected past the hull closed up with CA and baking soda.

Sorry about the confusion -- your question was clear. My understanding of it was muddled.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
              Captain
              • Dec 2010

Not a problem thanks for clearing that up Sir

Comment

• george
                Captain
                • Dec 2010

Sorry another question on bow plans shafts. Is that correct that the operating shaft for the bow planes is 1/16" OR was it supposed to be 1/8" ?????

Comment

• Aug 2008

Sorry another question on bow plans shafts. Is that correct that the operating shaft for the bow planes is 1/16" OR was it supposed to be 1/8" ?????
                  No problem, George. These are good, revealing questions. Keep them coming (should you, however, hit me with a bad questions, I will eat you alive!).

Yes, these are 1/16" diameter brass rod operating shafts. Keep in mind that this is a little model as r/c submarines go. I do use 3/32" and 1/8" diameter operating shafts on the larger models.

In fact, all control surface operating shafts on this model are 1/16" diameter brass rod

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2010

O.K then first, Thanks for the lesson.
                    Now here comes a possible bad question. Here I go, into the lion`s den. I received your first part of the upgrade set for the 1/96 Alfa, Thank You again, So now I see in the pictures above and post #38 the control and mounting parts as well as the weights for ballasting. Are they to be sent out to the waiting public as a Part 2 Final shipment?

Comment

• Aug 2008

O.K then first, Thanks for the lesson.
                      Now here comes a possible bad question. Here I go, into the lion`s den. I received your first part of the upgrade set for the 1/96 Alfa, Thank You again, So now I see in the pictures above and post #38 the control and mounting parts as well as the weights for ballasting. Are they to be sent out to the waiting public as a Part 2 Final shipment?
                      Fair questions. I've not defined the metal fittings that will be supplied yet. Here goes: Propeller (should have arrived with the resin package), bell-cranks (standard, not the fancy ones I've worked up for the magnetic connectors at the bow), masts and antennas, bollards, antenna/mast hatches, bridge hatches, and some other detail items. The rest you have to come up with on your own.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2010

Hello
                        Yes I got the cast items: planes, rudders, saddles and intakes, metal washers. bearings, metal propeller and hull alignment cast pieces. No hatches, masts, antennas, bollards no detailing bits.

Sorry had to ask. Thanks for the update. I like your magnetic connectors for the bow, I will try to use them.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hello
                          Yes I got the cast items: planes, rudders, saddles and intakes, metal washers. bearings, metal propeller and hull alignment cast pieces. No hatches, masts, antennas, bollards no detailing bits.

Sorry had to ask. Thanks for the update. I like your magnetic connectors for the bow, I will try to use them.
                          Ask away anytime, George (by now you have figured out that my bark has little teeth to it). If you employ the magnet coupler and anyone asks you about it, give credit to Brian Starkes -- he's the guy who originated that concept.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2010

Sir your verbal replies can be worse than a physical bite!!!!
                            Than You for ALL your Help with this and ALL your other post / builds.

When do you think you will have the Final package of upgrade Alfa parts ready?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Sir your verbal replies can be worse than a physical bite!!!!
                              Than You for ALL your Help with this and ALL your other post / builds.

When do you think you will have the Final package of upgrade Alfa parts ready?
                              I put things on hold till I get back from the Fleet-Run next weekend. Then it's back to the shop to catch up on Nautilus Drydock work, the ALFA project and some other things. I would say about three weeks and I'll get those ALFA metal parts out, George.

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2010

That is Great news! Thanks again Sir. Have a Good Time at your run next week, while here we start to feel the cold of Winter coming.

Comment

Working...