X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Latching RC module?

Is anyone aware of a drop-in module that will take a proportional RC channel and latch output for a servo?

While the VEX radios are great, they have no latching channels, so implementing things like torpedo tube doors are tricky. It would be great to find an in-line unit that could hold the latch until you moved the stick in the other direction...
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

This should do it. https://engel-modellbau.eu/shop/en/R...dule-MINI.html

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

That looks like a relay. Lots of those around. I'm looking for a servo output (unless I'm reading the description wrong, of course).

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

I am pretty sure that this is what you are looking for-although I am not 100% about the latching-but I can't see how it could work without latching

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

And...I now see that its no longer available-But similar units are made by other manufacturers..

Comment

• Mankster
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Apr 2009

Have a look at servo controllers. Typically you use a switch or button to activate servos, so by using a switch channel expander like the one in the second post, you can activate servos to and thing you want - one doors, fire torpedo, close door with one one switch.
            Heres one,

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

That's the way to go, and the Pololu kit have excellent instructions. A big advantage is you can also program things like time and motion curves for the servos for more realistic looking actuation.

many folk also doing similar things with Arduino boards, but probably a bit more involved than the Pololu option, and you won't save a lot of money anyway.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by SubHuman
                Is anyone aware of a drop-in module that will take a proportional RC channel and latch output for a servo?

While the VEX radios are great, they have no latching channels, so implementing things like torpedo tube doors are tricky. It would be great to find an in-line unit that could hold the latch until you moved the stick in the other direction...
                Dude,

I know it might be a cheesey solution, but if this is specifically for the Torpedo tube muzzle doors, how about they actuate a switch at the max open point to launch the fish? Granted the opening mechanism would require finesse for proper timing. But it would be one operation, open and shoot. Unless you want to run with doors open. This is my solution for the fish on the 722.

You can use electrical solenoids....the old (darn that 90's tech) SubTech SES-II Electronic switches could be set momentary or latching. If they could even be found. Wonder what ever happened to that old Company and if the tech could be retrieved??.....lol.
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

The Pololu micro maestro can easily be configured to switch outputs on and off, latched or momentary. Alternatively, if you don't mind rolling your sleeves up, you can get something like an Arduino nano board for a couple of quid on ebay, and that gives total flexibility, permitting a dozen or more channels from a single R/C channel to do whatever you wish.

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

I wonder if one of these would work, http://battlersconnection.com/electronics/
                    the battle boat crowd use solenoids. The pump switch is cool too!
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...