X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

Life

Sorry for wasting band width, especially in light of Bobs news. I’ve spent the last 3 years working too hard and under pressure and I didn’t realise how much it was screwing me up. I was either working, travelling or on late night conference calls. But as of December I am out and looking for another oppprtunity. Money was great, but when you have no time to appreciate anything it’s of no real use. I’ve spent the past 2 months looking for work and catching up on all the things I should have been looking into. Financial matters, insurance , just amazed about how much I’ve let slip. Today I dragged out some of my sub hulls, dive modules and started compiling a list of what needs sorting. Amazing how therapeutic it was, and despite being locked away for about 6 hours how chilled I was. I probably spent more time today messing with stuff than I have done in the past 3 years. Hope I can start making some progress again. Might even finish something.
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

No apologies, necessary, Albion. That burnout thing is real. I'm right there with you, too. Simplification can be one of the best things you can do, despite affecting income. Happiness doesn't really have a price tag.

If you spot anything you'll need to get those boats going again, be sure to reach out and we'll get you hooked up.

Bob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Albian: welcome back to the World. Without some play-time, what's the ****ing point?!…..

David
      The Horrible
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Groot689
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Mar 2016

Albian, I am going through the same introspective self assessment having grown increasingly discouraged by the course or direction of my profession- education. Its a good time to reevaluate what is truly important in life and focus more on hobbies of course.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Really glad to see you back! We are here for you!
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

Thanks for all the replies.

Ive awarded myself dumb ass of the day, the other day I went through all electrical / radio issues and made note of what needs fixing , today filled the bath and put 4 boats through their paces. The M1 turned out to be very heavy on submerged trim so I pulled it out and found the business end full of water, dunked the cylinder and saw bubbles from the push rod seal ( Engel bellows type) I let it all dry and had a look, mistake 1 hadn’t sealed any of the push rod seals to the end cap. Mistake 2, hadn’t sealed the snort and induction hoses to the end cap, mistake 3 the original holes for the snort pipes were still holes!! Back on the bench and try again tomorrow
            Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
              Thanks for all the replies.

Ive awarded myself dumb ass of the day, the other day I went through all electrical / radio issues and made note of what needs fixing , today filled the bath and put 4 boats through their paces. The M1 turned out to be very heavy on submerged trim so I pulled it out and found the business end full of water, dunked the cylinder and saw bubbles from the push rod seal ( Engel bellows type) I let it all dry and had a look, mistake 1 hadn’t sealed any of the push rod seals to the end cap. Mistake 2, hadn’t sealed the snort and induction hoses to the end cap, mistake 3 the original holes for the snort pipes were still holes!! Back on the bench and try again tomorrow
              Lesson learned, pal.

First dunking of the season should be a leak test of the WTC alone -- by blowing air into it as its immersed. That way the WTC leaks are identified (bubbles) and no water gets into the guts.

You make up a flexible hose to a port (I use the equalization valve, after removing its core) of the WTC.

Holding the WTC underwater as hand pressure is applied to the two external bulkheads to keep them from popping off, I apply air pressure and look for leaks.

Where bubbles come out I pencil-mark their location and address the leaks with either RTV adhesive or CA. And the leak test repeated till no more bubbles come out.

Only after the WTC is certified air-tight is it married with the hull and the entire system checked out. And for God's sake don't forget to re-install the equalization valve core!

Wish I had a dollar for every dumb-ass move I've made in the shop!

Go forth and sin no more, my Son.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                Vice Admiral
                • Mar 2013

I'd forgotten what a handsome devil you are!

Comment

Working...