X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

The Definitive PAINTS Thread

I thought it would be a good idea to concentrate some of the superb information and resources we have here in a more easy-to-find format. This thread will remain sticky at the top of the General Modeling forum, along with others of similarly applicable topics. Each will follow a similar format, where members here who have experience can post up preferred sources for materials, services and vendors.

Remember, we don't care if you use a product, service or vendor. We want to know WHY you recommend them over others you've tried. What are the differentiators of it versus others in the market? While advice regarding products or vendors to stay away from are welcome, disparaging, inflammatory or derogatory comments will be deleted.

Now... let's see what the experts recommend for RC Submarine PAINTS:
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Hi Bob,

I suppose this blog could be used for showing the different equipment and methods at which PAINTS could be applied to our boat building!

Before I show off! I need to let you fellow Submarine builders know what a wonderful, and fantastic wife I have! She is and has always been my biggest supporter in all my hobbies over the years. She gave me this great Air Brushing system for my small shop!

The above shows two spray booths when put together are approx. 34" wide. They can also be set up as a single booth for smaller detail type work.

I also got the Masters compressor with the tank. Has the adjustable gauge and moisture filter.

I did go with the Paasehe dual action airbrush. Now that I have this great set up, I am ready to start learning how to use it. It will be a big help with my new build, the 1:77 scale Disney Nautilus when it arrives!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Not sure what all this vBULLETIN means??
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 05-08-2020, 04:51 PM. Reason: just a note!

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Got with Bob Martin as to what may have gone wrong with my above posting! He was not sure what happened and suggested I re-submit the photos! So here goes!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P5080001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	139012Click image for larger version  Name:	P5080005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.1 KB ID:	139013

Click image for larger version  Name:	P5080002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.0 KB ID:	139014Click image for larger version  Name:	P5080004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.0 KB ID:	139015

Click image for larger version  Name:	P5080003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.1 KB ID:	139016

The reason I submitted this post was to show how with a small building space you could possibly add an airbrush work space (using only a water base type paint) but you can purchase a separate pipe vent system for the paint booth's if you felt like you wanted to go with enamels or lacquers, which I would not suggest using inside the home!

I am very much new to using an airbrush, but with practice I think it will make a great addition to my final Submarine finishing process (of which I am still learning as well) The thing that pushed me over the edge was the 1:77 scale starter kit of the Disney Nautilus Submarine that I have coming from Nautilus Drydocks (Bob Martin) Again I must praise my wonderful wife and greatest supporter for this kit and the airbrush spraying system!:-))

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"
      Last edited by rwtdiver; 05-09-2020, 03:34 PM. Reason: adding info.

Comment

• ffr2608
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Oct 2009

I guess I should chime in here. My background is 20 years working for Toyota Design building clay models, concept cars and interiors. I currently run a prototyping lab with everything at my disposal. There are times for quick jobs and high level jobs. Automotive based color with urethane clear is obviously the standard for modern finishes. (New and refinishing) But what do I do for a strong finish and minimal cost? Here is my quick list and PLEASE use the proper safety equipment.....

Spray gun: Harbor Freight HVLP gun (purple, under $20 us) we use these daily and at that price, it is sometimes cheaper to just chuck the gun when complete. They spray plenty nice for model subs and have seen a beautiful street rod sprayed with one of these.

SEM Trim black in spray or quart: we have used this for years as a fast drying rattle can with excellent strength. I was told that it is the strongest non catalyzed paint in a can. Great for the black hulls if you are not ready for a spray gun. Quart version goes on great too.

SEM flexible surface primer in quart or spray. I love this formula because the smell is less than lacquer and it builds really well out of a gun. I can bury the part in paint and it hardens quite quick for a pour and spray formula. Spray can version goes on smooth but not a high build formula.

UPOL matte black is another high pigment black that lays on really nice.

FYI, None of these options are found in a Home Depot or auto parts store. Get it on Amazon or an automotive paint supply house.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Automotive refinishing products are the way to go. Some pictured are no longer available as stupid, tree-hugging California calls the shots on what chemistry will be in vogue at the moment.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...