X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Groot689
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2016

Seaview Sub Stands- Suggestions?

I am in the process of restoring an old 57" DeBoer Seaview and need to fabricate some stands for the beast. Does anyone have any suggestions, templates, or really cool pics of stands that are not too complex to fabricate? Please let me know.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

In some episodes of the TV series the 'beauty' model, seen displayed in the observation compartment, is supported on a simple wooden base. Two chromed columns supporting the model about five inches off the base. Keep the base simple -- the display is the model itself, not the base.

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-04-2019, 12:38 PM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

I recall someone made a stand reproducing a scene from the TV series. It was the seaweed man holding the model....ghastly in my eyes.
      Here are some images from another site:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	zYrsTB.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	129989Click image for larger version

Name:	seaviewside_zps47493e7f.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	129990Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6907.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	129991

I think David is correct, make it simple. It is the model that is on display!
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Using wood and foam, my 80" DeBoer had one modeled after the old Aurora plastic model. Basically the seafloor and seamounts. Got bashed up over the years since she won awards in the early '90's
        Had a sentimental value to me as that plastic model was the first I ever built at the age of 9.
        After the 80" is back from refit, I plan to recreate it again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jtaveraPLSeaview-002.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	129994
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Groot689
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Mar 2016

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I understand and appreciate both points of view but I am leaning towards a stand that is both functional and "decorative" but not to the point of being distracting. I remember seeing some stands made for the Disney Nautilus that were beautifully rendered to look like steel beams and supports but that just might be overkill for my project. For the time being, I will probably just fabricate something fairly nondescript to support the hull while I am working on it. Other suggestions are always welcome and thanks again!

Comment

• Rick Teskey
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jan 2009

Simple stand work for me , secure , simple.
            Two uprightsscrewed and glued to plank base with velcro straps and rope carrying handles

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Groot689
              Thanks everyone for the feedback. I understand and appreciate both points of view but I am leaning towards a stand that is both functional and "decorative" but not to the point of being distracting. I remember seeing some stands made for the Disney Nautilus that were beautifully rendered to look like steel beams and supports but that just might be overkill for my project. For the time being, I will probably just fabricate something fairly nondescript to support the hull while I am working on it. Other suggestions are always welcome and thanks again!
              The moment your display base becomes 'decorative', it becomes a distraction from the display. A proper base is one that fights the force of gravity without pulling the eye away from the model being DISPLAYED!

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Groot689
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Mar 2016

Thanks David. By the way, do you have replacement parts for the sail that you made for your Seaview? I am missing a number of pieces.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks David. By the way, do you have replacement parts for the sail that you made for your Seaview? I am missing a number of pieces.
                  I'll have to dig in the sheds. What'ch need?

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Groot689
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Mar 2016

Hi David, most of the details on the sail are gone or damaged. If you made molds for the interior control room parts that would be incredible too. Im doing a pretty low key restoration but would like to detail the flying sub bay and the control room is possible. Let me know if you find anything. Thanks!

Comment

• Groot689
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Mar 2016

Okay, I have finishing throwing together a stand for the time being using scrap wood that was lying around the workshop. I used a contour gauge to measure the hull, cut templates out of card stock and then cut two supports from scrap pieces of red oak. The base is narrower than I had hoped but it still works find. A quick application of some stain and voila. Functional and not too decorative. The stand will feature complex landscapes, pyro technics, whale sound clips, LED strobe lites and naked mermaids to name but a few.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Okay, I have finishing throwing together a stand for the time being using scrap wood that was lying around the workshop. I used a contour gauge to measure the hull, cut templates out of card stock and then cut two supports from scrap pieces of red oak. The base is narrower than I had hoped but it still works find. A quick application of some stain and voila. Functional and not too decorative. The stand will feature complex landscapes, pyro technics, whale sound clips, LED strobe lites and naked mermaids to name but a few. [/URL]" alt="" data-fullsize-url="https://forum.rc-sub.com/[URL=http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Ho229/media/IMG_0861.jpg.html][/URL]" data-thumb-url="https://forum.rc-sub.com/[URL=http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Ho229/media/IMG_0861.jpg.html][/URL]" data-title="Click on the image to see the original version" data-caption="" class="bbcode-attachment thumbnail js-lightbox bbcode-attachment--lightbox" />
                        Smart-ass!

David
                        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-12-2019, 12:08 PM.
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hi David, most of the details on the sail are gone or damaged. If you made molds for the interior control room parts that would be incredible too. Im doing a pretty low key restoration but would like to detail the flying sub bay and the control room is possible. Let me know if you find anything. Thanks!

So, you have the sail and sail planes, right? I can fix you up with the bridge and mast goodies. As well as most of the Observation Compartment furnishings. Give me your address.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Groot689
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Mar 2016

Thanks David! You can reach me at goblin389@gmail.com.

Comment

• Groot689
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Mar 2016

Well, here it is. Simple, very cheap and functional. Click image for larger version

Name:	Stand finished.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	130051

Comment

Working...