X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • herrmill
    Commander
    • Dec 2008

I-401 Sen Toku 1/72 RC Sub 3D files

If you're looking for something big to build & have a 3D printer handy, open-source files can be downloaded here:

Have no idea on the accuracy or quality of the printed parts but it certainly can't be any worse that what Lindberg released.

Chuck
  • Scott T
    Commander
    • May 2009

Picture from site.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	c673f000af48e0e16ebd390723a35abd_preview_featured.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	128564

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Approximately 22"​ for the sail. The printer tried to do the fine stuff, but most of it broke removing it from the powder, other parts broke from me being too aggressive. Click image for larger version  Name:	I-401 Sen Toku 001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.5 KB ID:	128610

Click image for larger version  Name:	I-401 Sen Toku 003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	14.3 KB ID:	128611

The printer did surprise me on what it did print. Like the fine antenna or rungs of the ladder. There is a beveling on the hanger and not a smooth curve. Click image for larger version  Name:	I-401 Sen Toku 002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	13.8 KB ID:	128612

Click image for larger version  Name:	I-401 Sen Toku 004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	17.6 KB ID:	128613

Then there were bits and pieces it printed, but are not strong enough to survive the removal process.

I do not intend to print more. It was an exercise to see what it looked like.

Last edited by trout; 12-03-2018, 03:10 PM.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

The images aren't visible, Tom.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

I am at a loss as to why. I am on an iPad now and see the images. Any error message?
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

I don't see them either, Tom.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

No error message, just see small blank squares. Are these linked from elsewhere or uploaded to the site?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

I can't see the photos, either. In my experience, a lot of the 3D files you get for free are not watertight or designed for printing, just for looking at. Many of these can be cleaned up, wrapped, hollowed, etc, but it's a lot of work. You get what you pay for!

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

O.K. see if you can see them now....I re-uploaded them.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    • Aug 2009

Works now! Good job!

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

3d prinitng is evolving very quickly, three to five years from now current machines will look very limited. I think in the future, your average injection moulded kit may well be printed-on-demand, bringing a close to end-of-line kits, and making the most esoteric of subjects practical to produce. They're not quite there yet though.

One of the big changes will be when 3D scanners are incorporated into smart phones, which is I think a year or two away. Interesting times.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        • Aug 2009

They are, indeed, Andy! I concur about the scanners. I just previewed a software suite that can scan an object at 5 micron resolution using a smartphone. Craziness!

I actually downloaded these files and hope to print them after I'm done printing the final masters for the Verne Nautilus I'm working on. 72nd scale is too big. I'm going to do it in 96th scale, making it a nice, comfortable, 50inches in length, perfect for a 2.5" SubDriver!

I'm actually pretty impressed with the files. They're low-res, but, again, you gets what you pays for....

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

I was looking at scaling it down to 1/96 scale as well..... For the printer I am using all the fine stuff that did survive will probably not at that scale, but it makes it a whole bunch more manageable.

As far as 3D technology, Jan I will be attending CES (consumer Electronics Show) and one of the focuses of my visit is seeing where 3D is going.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                            • Aug 2009

You'll be overwhelmed. That is a massive show, and the 3D section is getting bigger every year. Would love to hear more about your takeaways!

In printing this sub, one will need to post-process the hull (sand, fill and coat with filler primer. I may also do a layer of epoxy to smooth everything out as well. The small details like piping and railings will need to be added later via scratchbuilt brass, etc.

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

I believe it's the industrial printing sector you need to watch from now on. I think the consumer printer sector has reached a point where further improvements will be smaller going forward, with the cheap FDM and DLP machines from China giving excellent results for hobbyists at a very low price point.

In the industrial sector I think Hewlett Packard is the one to watch with their Multijet fusion system, which works with polymers and metal, is relatively inexpensive (for industry), and is fast and repeatable.

Xjet is a new(ish) company, with a team that developed the original Objet units. They've produced a printer capable of astonishing quality which sprays inks loaded with nano particles containing various polymers and metals, the results look like jewellery. The machines are much larger and more expensive than HP's units, so I believe this will occupy a different market where the very highest quality is demanded.

I think you'll also see further consolidation of independent players in the industry.This has already happened to some extent with GE buying out one or two companies in the metal printing sector, and I have a feeling this may well happen in the polymer printing sector, with the likes of 3D systems and Stratasys already feeling the heat from HP, who've barely dipped their toe in the water so far.

Comment

Working...