Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

The 1/96 SWM BLUEBACK's a quick look

Final shake-down run of an assembled David Manley 1/96 BLUEBACK submarine kit rigged for r/c operation. Assembled, integrated, and readied for use by a custo...

showing off the internals of an assembled 1/96 David Manley r/c model submarine kit.

David
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-21-2017, 12:36 PM. Reason: also talking up the just completed static diving type 1/96 BLUEBACK model that has joined my fleet
    Who is John Galt?
  • bwi 971
    Captain
    • Jan 2015

Very nice looking (the sub I mean) incredible trim, that thing is very mobile in the water David.

Personally, I'm not sold for th 2.4GHz system. Although it is a good alternative, if I would need replacement for my 40 MHz system (designated freq in Belgium) I will go for the 433MHz system.
    Tim Senecal is doing amazing stuff with it, the telemetry is to high tech for me but the regular stuff is working flawless.

Grtz,
    Bart
    Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

I agree with you completely about the yeoman's work Tim Senecal has done on our behalf -- he single-handedly may save our segment of the r/c vehicle hobby!

I hate being tied to the surface like this. But, hey, what can you do?

You got a problem with the fat white-guy in this video?!..........

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
        Detail Nut of the First Order
        • Sep 2010

David, besides it is a nice KISS system, how will you retrieve the sub below critical depth with no propulsion?, there is not that much positive bouency with the boat trimmed like that.

Manfred.
        I went underground

Comment

• bwi 971
          Captain
          • Jan 2015

I only saw a beautiful sub held by a very nice looking woman......was there someone else too?……didn’t payed attention.

Grtz,
          Bart

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
          "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
            David, besides it is a nice KISS system, how will you retrieve the sub below critical depth with no propulsion?, there is not that much positive bouency with the boat trimmed like that.

Manfred.
            I'm with you on the fact that thing is 'sinkable'. That's why I consider such an arrangement (the very, very high waterline) suitable only for pool-toys.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
              Detail Nut of the First Order
              • Sep 2010

Ah, I just wondered if there was a kind of failsave onboard, despite the fact you classified it as a pooltoy there will be allways people to stretch the limits, to those who try, keep your swimmingtrousers at your hand at critical depth.

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
                Ah, I just wondered if there was a kind of failsave onboard, despite the fact you classified it as a pooltoy there will be allways people to stretch the limits, to those who try, keep your swimmingtrousers at your hand at critical depth.

Manfred.
                I hear you, Manfred. For those going into deeper (harder to access) waters: All they have to do is re-trim the boat to sit higher in the water, to the point where the critical depth would be insanely deep. So trimmed, unless the boat gets caught up in bottom trash, it's always going to bob to the surface. But, it is also a boat that has to scuttle along at a good clip to achieve the dynamic force, as a consequence of water flow over the hull, to yank it underwater.

At some point the idiot should just spring for a proper ballast sub-system equipped SD. For that reason, and others, I classify dynamic type diving submarines as pool-toys... and anyone operating such a model must -- for the public good -- leave his man-card at home for the duration of operations.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Though it's been running in primer gray for some time, I finally got around to painting and weathering the thing. A complete WIP is in the wings, but here's a quick look at the completed model:

Here's the thing before the paint-job making the North Lake safe for democracy: https://youtu.be/hkBUMyUnVpg

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Mar 2013

This one is a bit different. I like the multiple banding in the green of the hull and of course you have taken seagull poo to a new level. Seems the green is "greener" as well. And I just noticed the tiles at the front. Excellent.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                      This one is a bit different. I like the multiple banding in the green of the hull and of course you have taken seagull poo to a new level. Seems the green is "greener" as well. And I just noticed the tiles at the front. Excellent.
                      Not tiles. Simulation of hull plating 'canning' between frames and stringers.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

Different bit of the submarine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	483.0 KB
ID:	120079

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                          Different bit of the submarine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	483.0 KB
ID:	120079
                          Oh! .... those.

Again, an attempt to illustrate the shading of 'dished' portions of structure. In this case settling-in of the fiberglass sonar dome windows over their geodesic dome support matrix. Not tiles.

As a diver aboard the WEBSTER I had occasion to work the free-flooding bow spaces to perform anchor, bow plane (only Boomer with 'em!) and torpedo tube inspection and maintenance. When first entering the bow -- before my kicking around stirred crap off the surfaces, turning visibility to zero -- I marveled at the complex and futuristic looking under-structure that supported our plastic sonar window.

And when doing security swims (a requirement when arriving at or ready to leave a new berth) on the outer hull, I could make out the slight dishing of the GRP window over the support structure. Even in those days I was an excellent model builder, dedicated to accuracy and detail work. Hence my penchant for representing everything I saw and felt and did on the boats.

Here's a quick look at how I do it:

David

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSN SonarTech
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jul 2012

Another awesome piece of work
                            US Submarine Force: Making the Navy worthwhile since 1900

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

You should get that little 808 cam eyepod enclosure I sent you rigged up on a towline- you'd get some great shots to cut in amongst the footage shot from the poolside. Worth hooking up a larger battery too as the onboard item is only good for about 30 minutes I find.

Comment

Working...