HACKED! - but you can't keep a good team down for long...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

HACKED! - but you can't keep a good team down for long...

Good afternoon, everyone!

Some time last night or early this morning, some one (*expletives deleted to protect those with sensitive constitutions) hacked into our VBulletin website software and threw up a fancy new home page for us to enjoy, while eliminating our ability to access the boards. If you're interested in specifics, here is a link to an article talking about it. We weren't the only ones:

Apparently this all happened thanks for a newfound vulnerability in the VBulletin software. Older versions of the software didn't have the vulnerability and were safe.

Fortunately, a good friend with more computer brains than me (well, actually he's our company IT guy, truth be told), got it nailed down and installed a patch to patch the hole that VBulletin left for everyone. Basically, the attack simply replaced our home page with a new one and threw a few of their fancy hacker logos throughout the site. The attack was what is termed a "pre-authentication remote code execution" attack. This basically means that they didn't get into anyone's account to do this. It was all attacking the "face" of our site, not the "guts", which would be our database.

There should not be any account issues.

If anyone spots anything strange, please let me know and I'll look into it. As far as we can tell, the damage has been repaired and it's back to business as usual at the Drydocks.

Thanks, everyone!

Bob
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

You handled this quickly and well. Thank you for the update.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Baseball bat time!

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
        Baseball bat time!

David
        One named...... Lucille
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

One named...... Lucille
          "She's a vampire bat …...……. get it?!"
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...