Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

zoom meeting this Saturday

With the kind permission of this sites Administrator, I'm announcing a zoom meeting next Saturday at the Nautilus Drydocks forums. Something that may be of interest to you.

Specifically, I'll be presenting an illustrated talk about the advantages, processes, materials, and tools of plastic sheet thermoforming.

The DIVE TRIBE zoom meetings are a bi-monthly event and feature topics that are focused on the construction and operation of static and radio-controlled model submarines. However, the presentations and general discussion are also of value to advanced model kit assemblers and scratch-builders alike.

Heads up though: a year's subscription to these zoom meetings -- in which all hands can, and are encouraged, to participate -- is for DIVE TRIBE members only. That fee will put you back fifty-bucks.

However, if you want a taste of what we do without a hit to your pocketbook, our fearless DIVE TRIBE leader, Bob Martin, has posted over at YouTube a recent and complete zoom meeting.

If you want to join the DIVE TRIBE, here's how:

Here are some of the photos that will be accompanying Saturdays presentation:

Who is John Galt?
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Excellent!!! I dabled with vacuum forming back in 2010, link below to an RCG post I made. After some online research I built my own box and made my own fixture to hold the sheet. The box was connected to a shop vac and the fixture was placed in the oven. There is a real short video in the RCG link showing it done. I've only made enclosures for lights on one of my party boats which can be seen on the second page. I'm going to be using that same setup again to make some additional lights in the near future.

The many facets of model making! What a learning adventure!!!

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

As a kid (before we went hyper safety) I used the Mattel's vac-u-form to make all sorts of toys. However, because I was exposed to that, I have since used that knowledge in a variety of building projects growing up. David, look forward to seeing your presentation.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
        As a kid (before we went hyper safety) I used the Mattel's vac-u-form to make all sorts of toys. However, because I was exposed to that, I have since used that knowledge in a variety of building projects growing up. David, look forward to seeing your presentation.
        This will be a non-OSHA sanctioned event. Watch your behinds, guys: mine-field ahead.

We had it made as kids, Tom. Chemistry sets, an 'atom explorer set', metal casting sets, cap pistols, boy-sized machine tools, lawn-darts, and all other sort of toys designed to kill, maim, blind, injure and... oh, yeah... teach.

Not anymore.

Pussies!

Darwin sweeps away the fools. Today, with Darwin throttled by 'regulations', too many fools have avoided the natural cull, currently running around loose, ****ing up the planet.

(there's a reason Mom encouraged me to touch the red-hot stove element).

David
        The Horrible
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

David,

I am looking forward to your presentation as well! Can I ask a question about the two part silicone that you use for your molds? This may be a way out stupid question, but if one were to have an object (let's say a small 1" X 1" plastic box) and you completely submerged it in the two part silicone, let it dry, and then take that silicone incased box and put it under water, would that silicone provide a complete water tight covering? I have an even more stupid idea brewing in my old age brain.

Thank you,

Rob
          "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
            David,

I am looking forward to your presentation as well! Can I ask a question about the two part silicone that you use for your molds? This may be a way out stupid question, but if one were to have an object (let's say a small 1" X 1" plastic box) and you completely submerged it in the two part silicone, let it dry, and then take that silicone incased box and put it under water, would that silicone provide a complete water tight covering? I have an even more stupid idea brewing in my old age brain.

Thank you,

Rob
            No problem, Rob.

The Platinum cured RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) rubbers I use are completely watertight and waterproof) I favor the BJB, TC-5050 rubber.

TC-5050 (bjbmaterials.com)

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Waiting for the day we get to see Dave's persona on a Apple Vision Pro!

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

David,

Just a note to thank you for your presentation on Dive Tribe today! I have been interested in vacuforming and the techniques that are involved, but thinking I did not have the space that is suitable for this type model making I did not get into it. After your presentation, I can see where vacuforming smaller parts for me might be something I could do with my limited amount of shop space.

Thanks again for a great presentation.

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                  David,

Just a note to thank you for your presentation on Dive Tribe today! I have been interested in vacuforming and the techniques that are involved, but thinking I did not have the space that is suitable for this type model making I did not get into it. After your presentation, I can see where vacuforming smaller parts for me might be something I could do with my limited amount of shop space.

Thanks again for a great presentation.

Rob
                  Thank you, Rob. You're very kind. As you may have gathered -- as I scrolled through the few pictures used during today's zoom presentation -- I only scratched the surface of the knowledge and practical experience Ellie and I accumulated over the years. If there are any particulars I can help you -- and anyone else interested -- with, just sing out and I'll generate an instructive narrative, accompanied by supporting photos and sources of supply.

David
                  Those Who Can't, Teach (two meanings to that phrase... guess which one applies to me?)
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2014

I agree with Rob. Great presentation and group discussion. I hope to come up with more things, small items, that I can form for any of the boats I will be building.

Comment

Working...