X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

DIVETRIBE Online Video Discussions- list of topics

This thread will serve as a place where DiveTribe members can queue up technical questions, show and tell or info topics. Anyone can post up questions, but only members can access the online discussions.

We had our inaugural event last Thursday and had 10 people in attendance. The overall feedback was exceptionally positive. We got a great overview of Steve's gorgeous Nautilus internals and had some discussions around gas ballast construction and safety tips. Frank showed us his battery mounting rack in his monstrous Seaview, and we talked about a potential new control system for RC subs.

If you have questions, are having problems with your build, or just want to show off what you've built, this is the place! The price of admission is small, considering you get a full year of access. Not sure what I'm talking about? Head on over to the Nautilus Drydocks DiveTribe page!

Next event: Thursday, May 28th at 7pm eastern!

So.... what shall we talk about?
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

I posted a thought on SC site posting.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
      This thread will serve as a place where DiveTribe members can queue up technical questions, show and tell or info topics. Anyone can post up questions, but only members can access the online discussions.

We had our inaugural event last Thursday and had 10 people in attendance. The overall feedback was exceptionally positive. We got a great overview of Steve's gorgeous Nautilus internals and had some discussions around gas ballast construction and safety tips. Frank showed us his battery mounting rack in his monstrous Seaview, and we talked about a potential new control system for RC subs.

If you have questions, are having problems with your build, or just want to show off what you've built, this is the place! The price of admission is small, considering you get a full year of access. Not sure what I'm talking about? Head on over to the Nautilus Drydocks DiveTribe page!

Next event: Thursday, May 28th at 7pm eastern!

So.... what shall we talk about?
      Local boating sites, how to get permission to use those sites, and what it takes to organize and maintain a 'club' to exploit that site.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
        Captain
        • Dec 2019

This was a very beneficial event for me and I really enjoyed the opportunity to meet some of you. The Zoom video chat is a slick medium for making it happen too. I look forward to the next meeting and will be jotting down questions in anticipation of it. Thanks for hosting it Bob. It is a great idea.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCJetDude
          This was a very beneficial event for me and I really enjoyed the opportunity to meet some of you. The Zoom video chat is a slick medium for making it happen too. I look forward to the next meeting and will be jotting down questions in anticipation of it. Thanks for hosting it Bob. It is a great idea.
          I recommend we post our questions ahead of the zoom event so those in the know can formulate cogent answers and assemble practical displays of the mechanisms and techniques in question. Give the group a heads up of what the talking points are going to be. Don't sand-bag the teachers with, 'oh … by the way' stuff.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Bob, also related to brushless, how do you right size a brushless motor?
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I recommend we post our questions ahead of the zoom event so those in the know can formulate cogent answers and assemble practical displays of the mechanisms and techniques in question. Give the group a heads up of what the talking points are going to be. Don't sand-bag the teachers with, 'oh … by the way' stuff.

David
              That is my plan. Jotting down questions is so I can get them posted before the next event.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

Post here or using the form on the website. All is good!

Bob

Comment

• SubDude
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2019

Ok, got a question. For the MTroniks switch used as a ballast control on my Nautilus it says I must use diodes across any inductive loads. Wondering what size/type and if I also need a resistor. I have looked on Google and read about Freewheeling diodes and circuits. Schottkey diodes are mentioned as well as 0.01 Ohm resistors. I am running 1 pump and two 12V solenoids.

Comment

• SubDude
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2019

Another question, does the trim of a boat change between a pool and a lake?

Comment

• SubDude
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2019

This is what the instructions say.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200522_080349_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	139705

Comment

• SteveNeill
                        Commander
                        • Apr 2020

Being a member I'm just checking in. I look forward to the next Zoom.

Comment

• SubDude
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2019

Ok, so I finally got an opportunity to spend some time with my Redoutable in the pool. After some time trimming I shot this video. Since this is my first sub I am wondering if the static trim looks about right or if there is something I can do to get it better? The waterline looks about dead on and it seems to submerge near level but when surfacing the bow comes up considerably ahead of the stern. Maybe that is normal? I dunno.

Comment

• SubDude
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2019

Question, on an LA class 688i, do the bow planes rotate out, extend strait out or are they fixed other than pitch changes?

Comment

• SubDude
                              Captain
                              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              Looks fine. Better bow high during the ascent than stern high. As there are no baffles in the ballast tank to attenuate movement of free water once the boat with a partially filled tank takes an angle, the boat will stay there until the tank is either completely empty or completely full.

You almost have a well trimmed boat. Now add foam till just the tip of the sail sticks out of the water with a full ballast tank, and you're done. Your boat is currently negatively buoyant in submerged trim. It should be slightly positively buoyant in submerged trim.

David
                              Gotcha. Thank you very much sir.

Comment

Working...