Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
    Be careful what you ask for! Seriously that is a kind offer. Thank you.
    I do not know for sure what I will bring. First step is to get there.
    You just get there -- you got a place to camp now, you work out the rest. Would really be good to hook up finally -- Ellie and I get to see just how ugly your really are! And get that personal information to Ray or Joe so you can get through the gate without getting your ass shot off.

You'll love the museum -- I'll give you the tour. Some of my work is on display there.

And this is where we operate, the Officers Lake (North Lake), way out there by the ammo bunkers and MK48 shop. A great venue!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Good morning, all!

I'm still planning on making the trek up there. If the gods smile upon me, I'll be hauling that huge Type XXI with me for her debut, along with a few other boats if I get the time to get them seaworthy before I have to leave. It's a bit of a trip from FL to CT, but should be worth it!

I would like to start promoting the event through my video and social media blogs. Anyone got any video links or photos I can steal for this purpose? Is there an agenda, tech talks or other events scheduled I can promote?

Thanks!

Bob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
        Good morning, all!

I'm still planning on making the trek up there. If the gods smile upon me, I'll be hauling that huge Type XXI with me for her debut, along with a few other boats if I get the time to get them seaworthy before I have to leave. It's a bit of a trip from FL to CT, but should be worth it!

I would like to start promoting the event through my video and social media blogs. Anyone got any video links or photos I can steal for this purpose? Is there an agenda, tech talks or other events scheduled I can promote?

Thanks!

Bob
        Here you go, Bob:

Ray Mason and Joe Oliver once again organized a fun-run for local (and not so local) radio control submarine model enthusiasts. And, as before, the event was...

First run of the first assembled kit from the recently purchased Small World Models r/c submarine tooling. This (still in primer-gray) 1/96 BLUEBACK is seen ...

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
          I am at the YouTube of the Groton Fun-Run 2019! The reason I am looking at all the fun- runs, I am trying to make my mind up about as to how most of you are operating your boats! Most of this YouTube was of your truly David M.

I do not see a lot of fully submerged boats! Sails under slightly, but a vent tube just above water! It seems to me this is the most popular form of running your boats! I am experimenting with the low pressure pump system using a vent tube, or going with the 70% liquid volume system without the vent to be able to dive deeper and not needing a vent above the water line!

Advice appreciated!

Rob
          "Firemen can stand the heat"
          The 'vent tube', often associated with my SAS ballast sub-system, need not be above the surface (with my boats all of them have this induction tube within the sail where you can't see it) unless you want to lesson the burden on the low-pressure-blower (little diaphragm pump) by taking ballast blow air directly from atmosphere. With the SAS ballast sub-system, illustrated below, the model can start the ballast blow at any depth -- the pump initially takes a suction of the air within the SE to start the blow, but transitions to atmosphere the moment the sail broaches the water.

Most guys are afraid to operate well below periscope depth. Not me. Demonstrating that these boats need not be married to the surface is this 1/96 SAS equipped SKIPJACK. And, yes, this boat is trimmed just a tad positively buoyant in submerged trim.

But never count on that slim margin... which goes away if you spring a leak or descend below the point where box compression reduces your displacement to the point of making the submarine negatively buoyant. Bad ju-ju!

Click image for larger version

Name:	059 - Copy.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	151898

This particular 1/96 SKIPJACK uses the less capable 'snort'. Same as the SAS but without the ability to pull ballast blow air from within the SD. With this one you have to first broach the sail before you can pull air in to blow the ballast tank dry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	061.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	151899

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

You're farther down this road than you know, Rob. Keep swinging, pal. You're a methodical guy. You'll get there.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...