Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Outrider
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

OK, I'll bite. Looking over this wonder of a submarine (the M-1 was a monster for its time, about 3X the displacement of an E class sub), I've got to ask "where's the gun?" Besides being so big, the defining feature of this vessel was that 12 inch, 40 caliber Mark IX gun. Is that going to be customer provided, or do you have yet more work to do? I can imagine that prospective customers will really want to take advantage of the possibilities... probably something like an Airsoft if they can pull it off. Interesting that the original was a one shot wonder, the tactical restriction being that the M-1 would have to surface to reload the 12 inch main battery. Given the difficulty of aiming the gun and keeping it steady at PD, getting a hit would be pretty hard unless you were might close. Makes me think that it was best to hunt at night... and only to do so if you were out of torpedoes.
    ________
    Honda Civic (Seventh Generation) History
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

I produced the fittings kit for the 1/72 M-1 about a half-year ago. Kevin Price had turned a nice brass canon master for Mike and he sent it to me. I then used some of the pictures and plans gathered between Mike and me and went abut the task of making up masters for the bow planes, stern planes and single (big-ass) rudder. I then produced tooling off those masters and from that sold Mike ten fittings kits for a kit who's hull had not yet even hit the street (from Caswell, anyway). I assume Mike is selling those fittings kits to guys who bought hulls from the Canadian guy (sorry, don't know his name, but he does outstanding work!) some twenty-years ago -- basic hull kits sold to guys looking to enter their M-1's at local BB gun shoot-'em-ups.

(What kind of NASCAR hat waring, tobacco dribbling, sister-banging, toothless, coon-hound breeding, nose-picking, Rebel flag waving moron builds model ships and submarines who's sole purpose is to be blasted to splinters with CO2 projected, big caliber stainless steel ball-bearings?!).

Anyway ...

... Now that I have one completed M-1 GRP hull in hand and another one being laid up in the tools as I write this, I guess I'll have to knuckle under and produce the other fittings needed to make this a worthwhile project. That means I'll have to work up masters for the two propellers, rudder skeg, deck fittings, secondary gun (well aft of the sail), primary gun muzzle door, and whatever other items should be provided to make the package a proper fittings kit.

It never ends!

I hate my life.

David,

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0121.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	58234Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0147.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	58235Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0119.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	58236Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0136.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	58237Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0135.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	58238Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0146.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	58239
      ________
      CHEAP GLASS PIPES
      Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:26 AM.
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Replies

Originally posted by Subculture
        American beer is shocking stuff!
        Thats because you're drinking the "American" beer - made in England! But how I occasionally yearn for a pint of Wadworth's 6X.

Originally posted by Outrider
        You guys realize I'm going to delete all this chatter real soon, don't you?
        Well?

Originally posted by Merriman
        (What kind of NASCAR hat waring, tobacco dribbling, sister-banging, toothless, coon-hound breeding, nose-picking, Rebel flag waving moron builds model ships and submarines who's sole purpose is to be blasted to splinters with CO2 projected, big caliber stainless steel ball-bearings?!).

Anyway ...
        Oh! Dear! Rose! Don't let him out of his cage for a few nights! I think it's a full moon!
        ________
        Weed Vaporizers
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:27 AM.
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Outrider
          I can imagine that prospective customers will really want to take advantage of the possibilities... probably something like an Airsoft if they can pull it off.
          The gun in the fittings kit has a brass tube liner and a .177 ball bearing will fit! I have a few examples of BB gun mechanisms somewhere in my boxes. I'll try and post photos of them.
          ________
          R1150gs
          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:27 AM.
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

Working...