Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alad61
    Commander
    • Jan 2012

I want to know what would happen if you sneezed and quickly raised your hand to your nose as a result??? Would your boat launch itself from the waters like the Seaview at the north pole or would it plough through the depths to be buried in the weeds n mud... This thing might work for flyboys or targets but subs??? And I'll bet it only is 2.4ghz or similar.
    Cheers,
    Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
    But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by alad61
      I want to know what would happen if you sneezed and quickly raised your hand to your nose as a result??? Would your boat launch itself from the waters like the Seaview at the north pole or would it plough through the depths to be buried in the weeds n mud... This thing might work for flyboys or targets but subs??? And I'll bet it only is 2.4ghz or similar.
      I like your thinking and I'm still laughing re Snipah's "break dancing" comment.
      Imagine the flies bothering you at a typical Wentworth falls running day. Be a riot too explaining to the various nanny state "saftey" committees here in Australia, that there was no issue about unintended commands.

Then again Alex I've often thought that the expansive volume of well placed fart could clear a ballast tank, perhaps that could be the cue to blow the tank.

Sorry boys -the traditional RC TX ain't broke - no point fixing it. Can well understand this technology to assist with devices that currently don't have any technology to activate them.

J
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
      Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• alad61
        Commander
        • Jan 2012

I can see the Sundy papers headlinew now...

Rogue radio control submarine attack a local lakes duck community... I suppose we are getting closer to that scene from Back to the future 2 where the two kids goes to the old western shooting game and scoff at it because you use your hands and then Marty shows them how it's done the old fasioned way...:biggrin: but as kirk said "young minds, fresh ideas"
        Cheers,
        Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
        But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by alad61
          I can see the Sundy papers headlinew now...

Rogue radio control submarine attack a local lakes duck community... I suppose we are getting closer to that scene from Back to the future 2 where the two kids goes to the old western shooting game and scoff at it because you use your hands and then Marty shows them how it's done the old fasioned way...:biggrin: but as kirk said "young minds, fresh ideas"
          Hilarious. Love it.
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

There are many instances where this type of system could find utility.

Someone who had lost their hands, or the use of them might find such a system appealing for instance.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

I see this arm-sensor operating some axillary function. Neat! Welcome to the age of SkyNet!
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Or Borg.
                How this arm band currently works is by Bluetooth. Which means a very limited distance. As previously mentioned it will need an interface or a means to translate that signal to the surface frequency we use (to dive). In the scene with the quadcoptor, the computer is the interface (probably using wifi for demo). So, a USB device would Be needed to transmit the converted signal in your local authorized range, 75MHz, 40MHz, etc.
                in fact if we were to dream a little further, why are we still stuck to a box? Why not a device that attaches to the computer? The argument might be the box works, which is true, but so did rotary dial phones, but I do not see them around anymore. My intention in showing this device is to stimulate ideas. Technology is marching forward, maybe using a laptop is the way of the future, or a xBox controller through a laptop, or non of the above and we use the traditional box. I do not know.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Scott T
                  Commander
                  • May 2009

So take your computer pad drag and drop a couple of throttle images on the screen to run the motors.
                  Add a ballast valve images to operate the ballast. After adjusting the sensitivity with a few taps on the
                  screen you are ready to sail & submerge.
                  Tip the screen forward and your boat starts to motor away the throttle images on screen move slightly.
                  Tip it a little more sharply and you go faster.Tip it left or right and you stear around the duck obstacles.
                  Better add a emergency stop button on the screen just in case. Ready to submerge activate the valve
                  on the screen and watch as your boat slides under the waves. Should have added a christmas tree image to
                  show the boat was secure and ready to dive. And a horn button to signal dive. And lets add a little engine
                  and water noise to the mix.

It could happen.....

Comment

• Snipah
                    Lieutenant
                    • Jul 2012

My iPad is next...
                    Slats I am still laughing too at your reply's (Hilarious)

Thank God we have fwd thinking people and old fashioned aged folk.... to keep the universe balanced.....
                    ~runs off to start making Seal Team Hand gestures to get his models to move~

Regards

Wannabe Rocket scientist

Comment

• Albion
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2008

Theres already some devices which use iphone and ipad as controller, but but obviously they wont work for subs. It would be neat to use an IPad (with a plug in) and configure the screen to look like some steam punk control room, but for the purists ;), still leave the basic functions in the same format on screen, even if the throttle was jazzed up to look like a ships telegraph.

For the full effect a Herbert Lom type voice congratulating you on your kill after firing torperdoes
                      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Slats
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                        Or Borg.
                        How this arm band currently works is by Bluetooth. Which means a very limited distance. As previously mentioned it will need an interface or a means to translate that signal to the surface frequency we use (to dive). In the scene with the quadcoptor, the computer is the interface (probably using wifi for demo). So, a USB device would Be needed to transmit the converted signal in your local authorized range, 75MHz, 40MHz, etc.
                        in fact if we were to dream a little further, why are we still stuck to a box? Why not a device that attaches to the computer? The argument might be the box works, which is true, but so did rotary dial phones, but I do not see them around anymore. My intention in showing this device is to stimulate ideas. Technology is marching forward, maybe using a laptop is the way of the future, or a xBox controller through a laptop, or non of the above and we use the traditional box. I do not know.
                        Indeed - I like the idea of this up to a point. The computer stuff is great. Never forget seeing in France a model of the aircraft carrier, operated by laptop for its accessories, primarily due to the fact that that boat had every conceivable Flight deck function simulated. Just beautiful. He still used a traditional RC unit to drive the boat, but the laptop on board ran the other bells and whistles. That was 2004 - and the guy with the boat wanted the laptop to end up being the RC unit too.

I guess we are still connected to a box (transmitter) because it works. In my experience people have big plans for their subs and targets as to extra functions etc etc, but few of these plans I see actively eventuate. I don't think the limitation is the current Radio technology, but more to the point, that when the rubber hits the road, particularly with subs, the limitation is driven by getting the basics working and enjoying that. Simplicity at a regatta of just helming a well balanced and reliable boat I can tell you IMHE is far more fun, than dealing with system upon system. I love my torpedoes but use these sparingly. But again my standard radio unit can accommodate these functions as is. The more you build into a boat, the more potential problems, maintenance and complexity.

As an aside the thing I do like about this product is the potential for people who can't use a regular RC unit. Perhaps those electrical pulses it picks up on could assist perhaps a person who has a spinal chord injury, has lost limbs, or has a physical disability.

J
                        John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Snipah
                          Lieutenant
                          • Jul 2012

Ladies and Gents we got us a convert... ;-)

Comment

• Slats
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Snipah
                            Ladies and Gents we got us a convert... ;-)
                            Nope. Complete waste of time cf with what works now.
                            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

A Hobby is a Hobby. What makes you Happy? They even have onboard telemetry so you can see instantly with all kind of sensors what your sub and motors are doing. Personally, I wouldnt go that far.
                              IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

Working...