• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

The future of Sub Driving

If we are going to dream.....
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout

If we are going to dream.....
    Dream away..
    the most pressing problem is called "reality".

The most immediate concern is future availability of devices be it a traditional RC Tx or a sphincter dialled in suppository all need to be on a legal frequency that penetrates water. Technology is marching forward, but as it does ask yourselves is it leaving our basic needs behind?

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Whatever.....
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
        Whatever.....
        "Whatever" won't get a sub in the water. Then again there are those that dream, and those that do.

and can I ask - what is the post doing under new product announcements? Is this something I can buy - a new release perhaps of a product applicable to subs or targets, or other goodies that Mike has up for grabs?

Mike suggest you move this off to General please. Thanks

J
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Haven't tried that alternative control system, but I have tried some others, and have found them counter intuitive- bit like trying to drive a car with the pedals mixed around, when you've been used to a conventional layout. For those inexperienced in any more traditional control methods, it may prove to be easier, as they don't have to unlearn what they already know first, but my thoughts are that many of these things will be a flash in the pan.

The alternative system still to gain widespread use in hobby R/C is touch screen technology, but I think it's going to get big quite quickly, as the technology is getting very cheap and you can do a lot with touchscreens that is either difficult or expensive to implement in conventional hardware. For instance imagine you have a transmitter that can have a completely different set of buttons and sliders for each memory, customized for that model. In hardware, you'd need another box, but with touchscreen, it's all held in memory.

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
            Haven't tried that alternative control system, but I have tried some others, and have found them counter intuitive- bit like trying to drive a car with the pedals mixed around, when you've been used to a conventional layout. For those inexperienced in any more traditional control methods, it may prove to be easier, as they don't have to unlearn what they already know first, but my thoughts are that many of these things will be a flash in the pan.

The alternative system still to gain widespread use in hobby R/C is touch screen technology, but I think it's going to get big quite quickly, as the technology is getting very cheap and you can do a lot with touchscreens that is either difficult or expensive to implement in conventional hardware. For instance imagine you have a transmitter that can have a completely different set of buttons and sliders for each memory, customized for that model. In hardware, you'd need another box, but with touchscreen, it's all held in memory.
            You could also integrate some funky graphics too
            Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

There is an app for iphone/ipad and android systems called 'touchosc'. I looked at this for something I'm working on, but it means learning some new code.

Now this is a fully configurable control interface, which can control other gadgets via midi and OSC, either wired or wirelessly. It has all the things you'd want for control- sliders, rotary dials, joysticks, buttons etc.

Now to interface that to R/C sets you would need a microcontroller to interpret the messages, and convert them to 1-2ms pulse standard, and then use those pulses to make a binary code to transmit any number of channels and values. You would also need a decoder board at the receiver end, much in the way the (overpriced) Robbe multiplexing boards work on the F-series sets. Would be too slow for realtime functions (each function would take about 400-500ms to transmit and decode, the bottle neck being the 50hz pulse rate of normal PPM), but fine for auxiliary controls, and you would only need to sacrifice one or two channels to get hundreds.

Secondhand early generation android and iphones are pretty cheap these days, so if you're willing to roll up your sleeves and tinker, the options are there, and quite cheaply too.
              Last edited by Subculture; 02-26-2013, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

John, Off-topic it may seem, but this discussion may indeed lead to new product development. I think this is the right thread for the discussion.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  Welcome to my underwater realm!
                  • Aug 2009

And I believe it did say that they are already accepting pre-orders...

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

A new gadget for sale. That settles that.
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

Can I drive a sub with it?
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Snipah
                        Lieutenant
                        • Jul 2012

Yes, to periscope depth, as I can drive a ship, sail a yacht, fly a helicopter, drive my 1/6th scale tank, Tamita 1/4th scale Trucks. blah blah blah.... :o

All scary, all a learning curve but freaking exciting prospect.
                        Thanks for the alerting post!!!!!!

Regards

Snipah

Comment

• Slats
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Snipah
                          Yes, to periscope depth, as I can drive a ship, sail a yacht, fly a helicopter, drive my 1/6th scale tank, Tamita 1/4th scale Trucks. blah blah blah.... :o

All scary, all a learning curve but freaking exciting prospect.
                          Thanks for the alerting post!!!!!!

Regards

Snipah
                          What happens if dare I want to go beyond periscope depth as is the norms for running a model sub?

So what product do I buy / order exactly?

How do I plug in my servos, ESC, Failsafe, LPB, etc, etc?

Questions posed here are realistic and sincere guys.

PITA aren't I - but unless this is a simple off the shelf the product that is plug in and turn on as per our existing gear then a lot of people won't opt in. Most guys I know who have had RC ships and subs for decades are not electrical engineering experts or computer nerds and more importantly have no desire to be. I'm one of them - electrically challenged!

Also - my wife is Physiotherapist, saw this video and immediately stated that the current product (wraps around arm) is the sort of movement that should not be maintained for any extended period. Tennis elbow, and a range of other tendinitis injuries might be an issue due to the nature of the product trying to avoid unintended natural movements. Proof no doubt is in the wearing.

J
                          Last edited by Slats; 02-26-2013, 09:56 PM. Reason: Physio comment.
                          John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Snipah
                            Lieutenant
                            • Jul 2012

Of the 3 seconds that I saw the product demo, it jusrt acts as an interface or a remote in old mans terms.
                            The details to get a "wireless" stylized interface to operate electrical servos, ballast or others bits and bobs will have to wait tilla physical product is available.

The most important point here is it breaks the mold of hanging onto a hand unit. Imagine if I had one on each Arm??????
                            Apart from being the oldest break dancer (look it up if you dont know what that is) on the block ~sigh~ I see future control possibilities just over the horizon.

Pre-Orders @ $149. I would wait till product releases or more concrete details come to hand, but I would buy one just to control my 4 bladed heli :D

THis was simply think outside the square....if you can............ Post! hehehe

Comment

• Slats
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Snipah
                              Of the 3 seconds that I saw the product demo, it jusrt acts as an interface or a remote in old mans terms.
                              The details to get a "wireless" stylized interface to operate electrical servos, ballast or others bits and bobs will have to wait tilla physical product is available.

The most important point here is it breaks the mold of hanging onto a hand unit. Imagine if I had one on each Arm??????
                              Apart from being the oldest break dancer (look it up if you dont know what that is) on the block ~sigh~ I see future control possibilities just over the horizon.

Pre-Orders @ $149. I would wait till product releases or more concrete details come to hand, but I would buy one just to control my 4 bladed heli :D

THis was simply think outside the square....if you can............ Post! hehehe
                              So in other words its for nerds who have trouble piloting a traditional RC unit and must have the latest I-thing e-gaget unit. I'll pass -after all I though an I -pad was a feminine hygiene product. I have enough trouble turning on a kettle.

J
                              Last edited by Slats; 02-26-2013, 11:30 PM.
                              John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

Working...