Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

After looking at their site and the pictures of the finished model, it looks ok. Several discrepancies in the detail such as the rivets proportionaly oversized and their spacing is not correct and not corrisponding to the limber holes, size and placement, and ammount of holes. If one was to try to make a more accurate detailed model they would have to remove all the rivets and section the entire hull to corrispond with the sections on the deck, then draw the lines with a scribe or pencil. One limber hole for each section the same fore and aft liength of the flood holes in the deck, so there no rivets going thru the middle of a limber hole. Best way to do that is cut the limber holes thru, fore and aft to make a long slot, and put the division between the holes aligning with the ones on deck. If you must have rivets they are available as 3 dimentional transfers (decals) in numerous sizes and spacing ot etch them in yourself with a dremmel and engraving bitt which is time consuming. Also limber hole placement is individual to any particular boat so you may want to reserch the varrients on the PDF file on the AMP/rocketbiz site. The chain between the railings on the deck alongside the tower is an interesting detail but I have never seen one on an actual boat and the Binoculars on the UZO is a nice detail, but the periscopes and direction finder look a bit fat. Still I may just have to get one just for the challange. The retail price is up a tad, but that may change after distribution, gets rolling.

Comment

• herrmill
      Commander
      • Dec 2008

A buddy of mine came across the "mother" today at a local CNC prototyping service he uses for product development. They had no word of its current development of a kit - all they did was CNC the master out of a block of ABS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	90862

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	90863

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	90864

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	90865

Comment

• crazygary
        Captain
        • Sep 2012

Wow!!

Most impressive master!!

Can you say, "high dollar software"!!

CG

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Yes.

But ...

...Can you say, "knock-off of Revell of Germany's fine 1/72 kit"? This is a pirated item. Don't cater to those who steal other peoples property. I hold the CNC guys blameless -- I believe they did the work for a second-party who intended to use this master to produce commercially available GRP kits. And that -- in the absence of an agreement with Revell of Germany -- is theft.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
            Captain
            • Sep 2012

Didn't realize it was such a "really close" copy of the Revell sub!

Not looking to buy one, anyway, but their CNC capabilities are pretty nice!
            It's a machinist thing! I know YOU understand!! Hah!!

And, yes indeed! An unauthorized "knock-off" is definitely a "no-no" and should be dealt
            with accordingly!

CG

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

There is a definite similarity to Revell's model, but as I made a comment on another site (accidentally using my out loud voice) the rivets are so big it looks like the illegitimate step child of a Disney Nautilus and a type VII.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Kazzer
                • Aug 2008

The bad news is! Arkmodel looks like it's tangled in all sorts of litigation. There will be no USA manufacturing. I have it from a very reliable source. Pity! But move along folks! Nothing going to happen here! Caveat Emptor!
                Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

It actually appears like a knock off, but I dont think it actually is. The rivets are not the same ammount per section, I believe the CNC was programmed off the DKM U-570 General Plan but the rivets were edited in by the programmer because the GPs dont show placement. He may have used the revell kit as a guide for scale and scaled them up to the plug. The ones used on the revell boat should have been the size and spacing for this kit. These look proportionally correct for a 1/24th Civil War Monitor model, IMHO. Anyway I would grind the bastids off Besides, my wife would recognise another type VII in the flotilla, and it would be VERBOTEN!!

Comment

• herrmill
                    Commander
                    • Dec 2008

So THAT'S where those rivets came from? I thought they looked familiar.

Name:	Monitor.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	90900

Comment

• red_noir
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Jun 2009

Impressive size to the viic !
                      Last edited by red_noir; 03-31-2014, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...