• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Nautilus Drydocks Announces Acquisition of Precision Pattern Product Line

Good day, all!

I'm very excited to announce that, effective immediately, the Nautilus Drydocks (aka, Yours Truly) has acquired the patterns, molds and rights to produce the superb line of Precision Pattern submarine kits.

Matt Thor has done a tremendous job creating a line of very desirable models, however work commitments and new opportunities have now removed his ability to support the production and development of the line adequately. After some negotiation and heart to heart conversations, I concluded an agreement with Matt to assume his line of kits, and I'm looking forward to adding them to the roster of Nautilus Drydocks products in early spring of 2019. Matt has since taken down his website at precisionpattern.biz.

The scope of products will include:

-SubTech Marlin - new GRP offering of this iconic boat
    -1/96 scale US Sturgeon Class
    -1/96 scale Russian Oscar Class - originally mastered by Kevin McLeod
    -1/72 scale 571 Nautilus
    -1/16 scale Japanese Kairyu
    -1/48 scale German Type XXI

The purchase also included a large selection of RC receivers on 75mhz, as well as a hefty inventory of the superb VEX 6-channel computerized radios. This inventory, coupled to mine, should allow me to be able to support the RC submarine hobby for years to come.

I won't be taking possession of the patterns or tooling until early next year due to shipping logistics and timing with the weather (curse you, winter!), and then I will need to sort production. Realistically, we'll be looking at late spring at the earliest to get the kits to market. That being said, no.. I'm not taking orders yet. I'll post up some updates as they become available to keep everyone up to speed on where I'm at.

A huge thanks to Matt Thor for getting this deal put together with me, and to all of you who help support me in my efforts to service this awesome hobby that we love so much.

Bob Martin
    Owner - the Nautilus Drydocks, LLC
    The Nautilus Drydocks offers exceptional scale models, accessories and RC components with a focus on military, sci-fi and fantasy submarines. Custom buildup services for display or remote control operation available!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

That STURGEON is the pick of the littler -- go full-court on that one, Boss.

And that KAIRYU is a close second in my book -- as I redid all the appendage masters on that kit years ago:

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Congratulations!
      It will be great to see these come to market! For so long we have heard that they will be coming, but nothing really moved. I believe you will make it happen!
      Last edited by trout; 12-15-2018, 02:43 PM.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• george
        Captain
        • Dec 2010

Congratulations Bob! OMG more things to spend money on.
        George

Comment

• george
          Captain
          • Dec 2010

Bob have a question about an old offering of yours, the 1/96 3D Astute submarine. I am having it printed as we type this. If I remember correctly you mentioned that a bearing is mounted and used in the tail end for the prop shaft. Can you tell me what the size of the bronze bushing is?
          Thanks Bob
          George

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            • Aug 2009

Outsourcing printing? OUCH! I'll bet that cost a pretty penny!

These files were not created with the idea of people farming out the printing to companies. The cost to do so makes it prohibitively expensive. Of course, you could be having a friend do it, and if so, good on you!

I used 3/16" oilite bearings to support the 3/16" stainless drive shaft in my prototype. You can also use simple brass tubing or, better yet, 3/16" plated wheel collars. Of course, you did your research before buying the files and deciding on a buildup, and in doing so clicked on the conveniently handy video link that I put on the product page for the files. At 23:26 I go into the prop shaft and prop specifically.

What am I saying? Of course you did! :)

Comment

• george
              Captain
              • Dec 2010

Hi SubHuman
              Yes the printing is done by a friend I know who has a 3D printer with larger capacity. Yes I have watched the video but it is nice to double check to have a written answer as well. Mistakes happen. Misunderstandings happen.
              Oh well looking forward to getting the printed model back.
              Thanks for the reply help.

I know the prop is 3D printed BUT is there any chance HWSNBN MIGHT be making a metal version?

George

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
                Hi SubHuman
                Yes the printing is done by a friend I know who has a 3D printer with larger capacity. Yes I have watched the video but it is nice to double check to have a written answer as well. Mistakes happen. Misunderstandings happen.
                Oh well looking forward to getting the printed model back.
                Thanks for the reply help.

I know the prop is 3D printed BUT is there any chance HWSNBN MIGHT be making a metal version?

George
                why don't you ask your godless, spawn-of-the-devil, satanic wonder-printer to poop one out for you?! …. Huh!?>>>

David
                Reaching for the Med's
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2010

So I guess that means O Hell No? That`s the cleanest way I can say it on here. As for my godless, spawn-of-the-devil, satanic wonder-printer friend, I don`t think he has a satanic pooping file for this application. Just had a thought, HWSNBN your partner is the one who offers 3D submarine files for sale, so in a way your working for/with godless, spawn-of-the-devil, satanic wonder-printer person also, Sorry Bob, No offense meant. Have you put Crosses around your home for protection in the Upright position?
                  Last edited by george; 02-01-2020, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Leave it to George to bring things full-circle. Touché, sir!
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Many of the 3d printing bureaus offer metal printing. It is more expensive than plastic, but it's cheaper than the cost of having a one off prop cast or fabricated in metal. Suitable material options include aluminium, stainless steel, bronze and brass. Generally the first two are the most cost effective as they can use directly sintered processes, whereas bronze/brass tneds to print a wax version which is then used in an investment casting process- this all takes times, and the cost escalates.

Shapeways an i.materialise both permit the potential buyer to upload a 3d file for free and get an automatic quote for a print. It's wise to lighten the print as much as possible, e.g. hollow out the boss of the prop, this reduces weight which will make the prop easier to balance, and reduces the damage on your wallet.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        • Aug 2009

I suppose what I could do is upload the prop file to shapeways and have it put in my "store". People could buy a metal version for their boats, but I really want to get some real world feedback on how well it performs before I go that route. I ended up selling the prototype without going through the process of finishing it as a functional model, so I really don't know how well it will push water.

Comment

• george
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          Leave it to George to bring things full-circle. Touché, sir!
                          Ah come on Sir just my poor attempt at a little humor ah

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

Any updates? I’m very interested in the Sturgeon, although Nautilus is my first choice. But, I’m not going to get the dual motor for the one boat. I can always switch ballast tank sizes for the Sturgeon.
                            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                              • Aug 2009

Not much happening with Sturgeon. Please bear in mind that for all intents and purposes you have two guys supplying kits and parts to an entire hobby. David and I are slammed just keeping up with production, let alone putting new kits together. We're doing the best we can, and prioritizing new products according to demand.

Sturgeon will happen (it's literally on David's to-do list). Just no idea when...

Bob

Comment

Working...