X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Remote on/off switches

I often get emails from people looking to know how I set up my remote control on/off switches for some of my builds. What I use is a high-capacity remote switch unit that I've sourced online. It uses a standard fob-style remote control to turn the model on and off. The unit gets wired in between the main battery and the receiver. The plastic housing of the unit can be removed to make it more compact is space is at a premium in your cylinder.

These units are exceptionally handy as you can fully prep your boat, button up the hull and head out to the pond without needing to crack the hull open to turn power on or off. I'm stocking these units now and you can purchase from the Drydocks site by clicking here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	remoteonoff.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	117471
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

That's neat
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

That's a good price. In the feature section it mentions that the signal will not penetrate the water. I'm thinking that's a good thing. I wouldn't want to turn my sub OFF, while it's underwater. Lol
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• george
        Captain
        • Dec 2010

Hi
        Can you tell me what size the main power unit is? Helps to know if it would even fit my WTC.
        Thanks
        George

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SubHuman
          I often get emails from people looking to know how I set up my remote control on/off switches for some of my builds. What I use is a high-capacity remote switch unit that I've sourced online. It uses a standard fob-style remote control to turn the model on and off. The unit gets wired in between the main battery and the receiver. The plastic housing of the unit can be removed to make it more compact is space is at a premium in your cylinder.

These units are exceptionally handy as you can fully prep your boat, button up the hull and head out to the pond without needing to crack the hull open to turn power on or off. I'm stocking these units now and you can purchase from the Drydocks site by clicking here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	remoteonoff.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	117471
          Bob, you mean it gets wired between the battery and ESC/ BEC dont you? If it just killed power to the receiver then your ESC and other devices would still be powered and wondering what to do.
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            • Aug 2009

Between main power and whatever you want to control...

plastic housing is 62mm x 43mm x 28mm. Removing that leaves you with a board measuring 45mm x 40mm x 23mm.

Comment

• george
              Captain
              • Dec 2010

Thank You
              George

Comment

• secrtwpn
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Feb 2012

I bought one of these things, but could not get it to work. I wired it between the receiver and the former on/off switch. Any suggestions?????

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                  • Aug 2009

The unit needs 12V power. Typically this would get wired in between main battery power and your load. It needs the juice in order to run. These are fairly bulletproof. Just connect the wires and they work.

I put it in series just after my main 15A fuse. You have 2 black wires for ground. One goes with the white lead and one with the red. If you post up a pic, perhaps we can troubleshoot remotely?

Comment

• secrtwpn
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Feb 2012

.........................so this device won't work on a 7.2v system? If not, any suggestions for a remote on/off switch?????

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      • Aug 2009

Good question... I'm not sure if it will work on 7.2V or not. I can't see why it wouldn't. It's basically just a relay.

If I had one taken apart here that I could play with I'd test it. If anyone wants to give it a try, I'll cover return shipping if it doesn't work and refund the full cost, including shipping. No harm, no foul!

Comment

Working...