X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kielbasa
    Ensign
    • Aug 2009

Revell Skip ESC and some other questions

Ok, I saw the tiny skip at the regatta, and decided that I have to have one in the suitcase (cigar box) to take with me on vacation to places like Disney, etc... I could get away with having it because it is so small. Heck, I could sit on the can and play with it (the sub) in the tub...

So, I got the Micro ESC, and there are no wires attached to it. I have looked at the documentation, and cannot figure out which of the 4 solder pads are for what> I really don't want to fry this thing.

Any ideas, if I am looking a it, with the button facing up, and the Rx wires facing to the right, the four pads are along the left edge of the esc. from top to bottom, so...... um..... which is which?

Secondly, I was hoping to get some measurements from Dave. About where (after screeding the bow) did you make the cut on the lower hull to capture the WTC? I am assuming that this line is not super critical, but I would like some advice.

Thirdly, and sorry for the questions.... But after laying the sub on Greg's plan, I figure that I am just going to cut the stern along one of the "weld lines" that pretty closely match the shape, am I correct?

Sorry for all of these questions at such a late hour.....

Well, I've got tests to grade and planning to do for tomorrow...
    otherdave
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kielbasa
    Ok, I saw the tiny skip at the regatta, and decided that I have to have one in the suitcase (cigar box) to take with me on vacation to places like Disney, etc... I could get away with having it because it is so small. Heck, I could sit on the can and play with it (the sub) in the tub...

So, I got the Micro ESC, and there are no wires attached to it. I have looked at the documentation, and cannot figure out which of the 4 solder pads are for what> I really don't want to fry this thing.

Any ideas, if I am looking a it, with the button facing up, and the Rx wires facing to the right, the four pads are along the left edge of the esc. from top to bottom, so...... um..... which is which?

Secondly, I was hoping to get some measurements from Dave. About where (after screeding the bow) did you make the cut on the lower hull to capture the WTC? I am assuming that this line is not super critical, but I would like some advice.

Thirdly, and sorry for the questions.... But after laying the sub on Greg's plan, I figure that I am just going to cut the stern along one of the "weld lines" that pretty closely match the shape, am I correct?

Sorry for all of these questions at such a late hour.....

Well, I've got tests to grade and planning to do for tomorrow...
    otherdave

After I get back from the run I'll lay one of those ESC's on graph paper and I'll draw lines leading off the edges and pointing to the pads, and then denote what wire goes where and does what.

And, yes, the breaks (radial cuts) occur at the raised 'weld lines' on the hull. When I do the ESC markings I'll measure those cuts and give you a weld line count, fore and aft.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Here's the promised illustration on how to hook up the little ESC for your SKIPJACK.

You'll note that this is the identical circuit that comprises the MTronics Mini 10 marine ESC, but without the aluminum channel heat-sink, epoxy potting block and attached wires.

The ESC switch pads have already been soldered 'closed' so when you make up the battery to ESC, everthings 'on'.

Isolation of the entire SD system is through the single mission-switch located in the forward bulkhead of the SD. That switch wired in series with the battery and ESC.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 09-18-2009, 05:08 PM.
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• kielbasa
        Ensign
        • Aug 2009

Thanks

Thanks very much. I had figured that was the pinout, but I did not want to fry anything. It's cheaper to ask.....

Did you ever get a chance to get some approximate measurements for the z cut hull?

I know you are busy keeping caswell in business, so I want you to know that I really appreciate your time...

otherdave

Comment

• Aug 2008

That's right, I forgot about the hull radial break points on that little SKIPJACK kit. I'll get back to you on that this afternoon.

Oh ... I know you have figured this out, but this is for those looking over our shoulders ... either wrap the soldered up ESC in some heat-shrink tube or take care to mount it naked in the SD with the bare pins facing the tube inner wall.

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• kielbasa
            Ensign
            • Aug 2009

ok, so i'm just getting back to the little boat, and was wondering if you ever mapped where the z-cut would be placed on the little skip?

thanks

otherdave

Comment

Working...