3.5" Skipjack SAS SD waterproof switch - what's your source?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

3.5" Skipjack SAS SD waterproof switch - what's your source?

David,

We now realize that the toggle power switch I received with the Skipjack 3.5" SAS SD is totally not up to the job - too small - way under designed for the current involved. You recommended I try Lowes for a suitable replacement. I tried. Here's what I found:

Neither:
    1) Radio Shack,
    2) Lowes,
    3) O'reilly Auto parts, nor
    4) A local boat store
    could offer any suitable replacement.

So, I went online and searched for "waterproof 12V toggle switch". I found some but they cost in the neighborhood of $30 to $40 each. I can't believe you specified such an expensive item so what is your source? To be fair, I can't rule out salesperson ignorance of the products they carry but that's where I'm at now.

The magnetic switch from Engel will cost me about $60 shipped to the USA and is designed to easily handle the current involved and even a 25 Amp spike. Do I want to go this way? Not really, but I need alternatives.

Please advise,

Dan
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

The last big toggle-switch I got (last week) was from Walmart. Harbor Freight is another source.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Two brass bolts through the endcap, with a brass or better still, copper busbar, and you have a switch that will take any load. Cost is a few pence.

You can make the bus bar captive on one side, and with a slot on the other, so it can swing over onto the other bolt (if that makes sense).

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
        Two brass bolts through the endcap, with a brass or better still, copper busbar, and you have a switch that will take any load. Cost is a few pence.

You can make the bus bar captive on one side, and with a slot on the other, so it can swing over onto the other bolt (if that makes sense).
        "Doctor Frankeinstein, call your Lab" (que the thermin music)
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
          Captain
          • Sep 2008

David,

You must have a special submarine section in your WalMart. I went there and asked for the toggle switches - no problem. I then asked for the waterproof boots that go over the toggle and got blank stares. I'm finding it's not the toggle switch; it's the waterproof boot that I cannot find locally.

Went to Harbor Freight - Sorry, Sir, we haven't carried any toggle switches for at least 6 months now. Argghhh...

I can find the boots online. I may just go that way. Or not. The magnetic switch is starting to look more and more attractive.

P.S. Sanding sticks... sanding sticks...

Subculture,

Neat idea - I'll think on it. I'm just concerned it may turn into a 3000 Amp fuse for a millisecond or two.

Dan

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Pretty unlikely, Dan. Use a stick to flick the bar if you are really nervous or glue on a piece of insulation.

For toggle switch boots, and most other electrickery a grand source is mouser.com

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Some other ideas for you to explore.

You can use a bi-stable relay, and have the small toggle switch throw that over. Not too hard to find relays with contact ratings up to about 5-10A DC.

A better option, and very cheap, is to have the switch connected to the gate of a P-channel Mosfet, then you can source as much current as the Mosfet allows. Mosfets are cheap on ebay, look for one with a low RDS on.

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

How about using the bulb from an eyedropper. Just pull the bulb over the toggle. Better if you could get the ones which come on a screw cap. Those bulb have a flange which will enable you to glue it onto the endcap.
                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

There are lots of things you can use. A bit of silicone tubing would do. Another technique I've seen used by Ron Perrott is to fit another bellows and run a brass rod into the interior, and have that actuate a switch (could be a toggle switch, slide switch etc.).

No need to copy everyone else, just use your loaf.

Comment

• Aug 2008

That's an excellent source, Andy. Thanks.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                      Pretty unlikely, Dan. Use a stick to flick the bar if you are really nervous or glue on a piece of insulation.

For toggle switch boots, and most other electrickery a grand source is mouser.com

http://www2.mouser.com/Search/Refine...terproof+boots
                      Andy,

Thanks for reminding me of Mouser. I've dealt with them before - good company. I'll give it a look-see.

Dan

Comment

• subcom117
                        Ensign
                        • Sep 2010

Reading this is somewhat alarming. I just purchased and received yesterday the Skipjack subdriver. I noticed the micro switch that came with it was so small it almost fell through the hole in the forward bulkhead and barely protruded beyond the surface of the bulkhead. This was a source of great consternation. The photos posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named (TM) clearly show a larger toggle switch which explains the large hole. Now I read the micro switch cannot handle the amperage, a thought which also crossed my mind. Is this true? I paid good money for an electronics kit that was supposed to be sufficient for this boat.

Since the switch was so small, I did find a better way to mount it. I secured a 5/8" washer to the switch and drilled a 5/8" countersink around the existing 1/2" hole from the interior of the bulkhead. This allowed the switch to sit further into the bulkhead and protrude further out the exterior, allowing sufficient space for another thin washer on the exterior, so that the rubber O-ring in the plastic and rubber exterior sleeve would have a flat surface to seat upon, which would enable it to serve its waterproof intention. Of course, generous amounts of RTV silicone sealant will enhance the waterproofing.

The switch itself is marked 5 Amps at 120 Volts AC. I'm no electrician, but if it can handle 5 Amps at 120 Volts AC, it cannot handle 5 Amps at 11 Volts DC? I don't know. I only know I paid a lot of money for this, and you are saying the switch is insufficient.
                        He Who Shall Not Be Named (TM) or Mike Caswell please respond and confirm whether this switch is sufficient for its purpose.

Thanks,
                        Tim

Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro Switch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	81222Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro Switch in Existing Hole.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	81223Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro Switch with Washer.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	81224Click image for larger version

Name:	Countersink in Bulkhead.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	81225Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch Installed.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	81227Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior bulkhead.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	81226

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by subcom117
                          Reading this is somewhat alarming. I just purchased and received yesterday the Skipjack subdriver. I noticed the micro switch that came with it was so small it almost fell through the hole in the forward bulkhead and barely protruded beyond the surface of the bulkhead. This was a source of great consternation. The photos posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named (TM) clearly show a larger toggle switch which explains the large hole. Now I read the micro switch cannot handle the amperage, a thought which also crossed my mind. Is this true? I paid good money for an electronics kit that was supposed to be sufficient for this boat.

Since the switch was so small, I did find a better way to mount it. I secured a 5/8" washer to the switch and drilled a 5/8" countersink around the existing 1/2" hole from the interior of the bulkhead. This allowed the switch to sit further into the bulkhead and protrude further out the exterior, allowing sufficient space for another thin washer on the exterior, so that the rubber O-ring in the plastic and rubber exterior sleeve would have a flat surface to seat upon, which would enable it to serve its waterproof intention. Of course, generous amounts of RTV silicone sealant will enhance the waterproofing.

The switch itself is marked 5 Amps at 120 Volts AC. I'm no electrician, but if it can handle 5 Amps at 120 Volts AC, it cannot handle 5 Amps at 11 Volts DC? I don't know. I only know I paid a lot of money for this, and you are saying the switch is insufficient.
                          He Who Shall Not Be Named (TM) or Mike Caswell please respond and confirm whether this switch is sufficient for its purpose.

Thanks,
                          Tim

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20305[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20306[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20307[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20308[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20310[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20309[/ATTACH]
                          The switch is not. I will fix you up. Contact me. dmeriman@aol.com

I'm conferencing with Mike on this matter -- thanks for bringing it to our attention

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...